Just went chainless...Thanks

turtle1026

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat
While taking some time off last week I finally did the work to replace the BSM and TB. I just wanted to thank this forum for all of the discussion and how-to's. The job went really well with only one real snag.

I bought the lock carrier pins (the ones with the big red balls on the end) directly from VW. They sheared off in the first few minutes of having the carrier pulled forward. The carrier basically fell against my thighs so I was able to catch it. I am just glad it wasn't over my head at the time. That said, I think the job was much easier after fully removing the lock carrier. It left room to use my modified old school gear puller and really allowed a good view of everything.

Otherwise, the job went well. I got my torsion to zero on the second try, and the car runs great. Thanks again.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Another one saved! Take a gold star out of petty cash... ;) Go out for a good celebratory meal.

Last edited:

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
My off the shelf bolts performed better than the VW parts, it appears, and cost almost nothing.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
bolts work or just thread some rod. the tool was probably Chinesium

LaPointe

TDI
2003 Golf, 2005 Passat
Congratulations. I just did mine as well. It went smoothly, thanks the all the info from people on this forum.

Newbie question. What is the torsion setting? How/why do I need to adjust it?

turtle1026

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat
It has to do with the phasing of your camshaft. Block 004 measure 004 should read zero. There are some posts on here that address it. Slight adjustments to the cam gear position may be required. It is simple. Just unclip the top portion of the timing belt cover and use the 3 cam pully bolts and center bolt to adjust. If you are too far off, the car will not even run, so the adjustments are really tiny and you need a way to read the measuring blocks. I have a scanner that reads live data.