Just wanted to thank you guys.

mrfrankmrfrank

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2001 MKIV
If it wasn't for this forum, this past Thursday might have ended very differently for me. I was leaving work and got onto a busy road to head home. As I started to accelerate, my tdi went into limp mode. This has happened to me a time or two and it usually has resolved itself while driving. The speed limit of this particular road was 50mph and I struggled to near that to keep with the flow of traffic. I was determined to get home before the thunderstorms were going to hit our area.

As I'm slowly accelerating towards a max speed of 48mph with the pedal to the floor I notice smoke billowing out of my exhaust. It actually started to engulf the entire car with clouds likely 20 feet high. It was at this point I decided to pull over. Just as I check my mirrors, I hear the engine rev. I look down and the tach is climbing to the redline with my foot off the gas. I decide to throw it in neutral and turn the key off while still coasting at about 45mph in the middle of a 3 lane busy road. I turn the key, and the engine continues its climb towards the redline.

I was prepared for this. I knew what this was. I had read about a runaway diesel on this forum. I stayed as calm as I could and pulled over, put the car in gear, and held the brake to stall the engine. I sat there and waited 45 minutes for a tow. My tdi is at the mechanic now. The only feedback I've received from him thus far is that the engine was nearly empty of oil. This may be the end of my tdi.

I just wanted to thank the community here. The knowledge and tips provided here helped keep me calm and know how to kill the runaway. I'm not an overly knowledgeable car guy and if not for this forum, the car would have probably redlined itself to death right on the side of the road.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
If it did not stall out on it's own during the runaway and the oil light and alarm was not blaring you might stand a chance at reviving it.

mrfrankmrfrank

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2001 MKIV
It definitely did not die out on its own. It's hard for me to remember what lights were flashing during the runaway as I was so focused on pulling over, but I feel like there was a red signal on the dash at some point. Hope to hear from my mechanic soon.

fxk

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
Sounds like you were prepared, and did what was safe for you, and the best outcome, considering, for the car.

If it didn't stop on its own, I too, am of the (hopeful) opinion, the entire engine did not buy the farm.

For future reference, if you do recognize a runaway occurring, if in traffic, it's OK to leave in gear to 1)moderate engine speed 2)allow you to get off the road as quickly as possible under power. Getting out of traffic under power is easier and most probably safer than in coast mode. Of course, once off the road, you did PRECISELY the correct thing.

Here's hoping all the wet parts stayed adequately pressurized and wet!
frank

mrfrankmrfrank

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2001 MKIV
I didn't hear much from my mechanic today so I texted him "jetta's dead right" and he responded "it may be the engine for real"

My hopes aren't the highest. I feel I will investigate a full engine swap if needed. I'd rather spend $5k on replacing the engine of my beloved tdi than spend $5k on a beater car that isn't my jetta. I've been trying to research everything that goes into a full engine swap, looks like a lot of unknowns are in my immediate future.

Where to get the engine..
are the engines identical from the automatic trans and manual?
etc etc

Just thoughts off the top of my head if this ends up happening.

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
mrfrank---hopefully your engine is not trashed but I have to commend you for dealing with the situation well, between the weather and your runaway, seems you did as best you could.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
The engine itself is identical between auto and manual. The injection pump and injectors are not, but yours should be fine.

You may be able to get your current engine rebuilt for about the same money as a used one as long as the block and crank are intact. But yeah about $5k is probably a good estimate.

If you do go used (or rebuilt though I'd consider these things part of a rebuild) make sure to get all the oil seals, plastic coolant housings, rubber hoses and vacuum lines replaced. It's way easier to do with an engine on a stand and it'll take care of a lot of future maintenance so you'll have piece of mind. Obviously all new timing belt etc. And yeah your turbo is cooked so that's gotta be done.

mrfrankmrfrank

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2001 MKIV
Thanks everyone for the kind words. I'll update here when I know more from the mechanic. It's amazing that you don't always realize how attached you are to a car until you're facing losing it. I know it's just a car, but with a 68 mile round trip daily commute to work you grow attached haha

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
mrfrank---pm me your location, if it is within a reasonable distance i would be more than happy to help with a swap. I AM NOT A MECHANIC, but am good with tools (trim carpenter) and would be interested in learning if you do the research and direction. I am just outside of the city on 290. good luck whatever your decision.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
If it wasn't for this forum, this past Thursday might have ended very differently for me. I was leaving work and got onto a busy road to head home. As I started to accelerate, my tdi went into limp mode. This has happened to me a time or two and it usually has resolved itself while driving. The speed limit of this particular road was 50mph and I struggled to near that to keep with the flow of traffic. I was determined to get home before the thunderstorms were going to hit our area.

As I'm slowly accelerating towards a max speed of 48mph with the pedal to the floor I notice smoke billowing out of my exhaust. It actually started to engulf the entire car with clouds likely 20 feet high. It was at this point I decided to pull over. Just as I check my mirrors, I hear the engine rev. I look down and the tach is climbing to the redline with my foot off the gas. I decide to throw it in neutral and turn the key off while still coasting at about 45mph in the middle of a 3 lane busy road. I turn the key, and the engine continues its climb towards the redline.

I was prepared for this. I knew what this was. I had read about a runaway diesel on this forum. I stayed as calm as I could and pulled over, put the car in gear, and held the brake to stall the engine. I sat there and waited 45 minutes for a tow. My tdi is at the mechanic now. The only feedback I've received from him thus far is that the engine was nearly empty of oil. This may be the end of my tdi.

I just wanted to thank the community here. The knowledge and tips provided here helped keep me calm and know how to kill the runaway. I'm not an overly knowledgeable car guy and if not for this forum, the car would have probably redlined itself to death right on the side of the road.
"I decide to throw it in neutral and turn the key off while still coasting at about 45mph in the middle of a 3 lane busy road. I turn the key, and the engine continues its climb towards the redline."

I realize that in the panic of the moment it can be hard to think rationaly and instantly but......Just so others who read this understand.....That was NOT the right thing to do!
You should have left the car in gear and used the brake to control your rpm while gradually/safely pulling over and then stalling it by continued braking once on the shoulder.
By pushing the clutch in the engine is free to over rev and by turning the key off you risk the chance of locking the steering column thus not being able to steer.
Remember a runaway will usually only damage the engine if it over revs and or runs out of oil.

mrfrankmrfrank

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2001 MKIV
"I decide to throw it in neutral and turn the key off while still coasting at about 45mph in the middle of a 3 lane busy road. I turn the key, and the engine continues its climb towards the redline."

I realize that in the panic of the moment it can be hard to think rationaly and instantly but......Just so others who read this understand.....That was NOT the right thing to do!
You should have left the car in gear and used the brake to control your rpm while gradually/safely pulling over and then stalling it by continued braking once on the shoulder.
By pushing the clutch in the engine is free to over rev and by turning the key off you risk the chance of locking the steering column thus not being able to steer.
Remember a runaway will usually only damage the engine if it over revs and or runs out of oil.
Thank you for the tips. Relaying a cautionary tale was part of my reason for posting as it might help someone else in the future. I fully understand your suggestion and will remember it in the future.

mrfrankmrfrank

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2001 MKIV
mrfrank---pm me your location, if it is within a reasonable distance i would be more than happy to help with a swap. I AM NOT A MECHANIC, but am good with tools (trim carpenter) and would be interested in learning if you do the research and direction. I am just outside of the city on 290. good luck whatever your decision.

Thank you for the offer, I will consider it depending on the route I end up going. If I end up replacing the engine, it will be done by hands far more qualified than mine.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Yuck. Yeah I'd be looking for a used engine. Too much chance of unsalvageable major parts (crank / block / head). A good running used engine with fresh seals etc would probably be your most economical route.

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
FOR SALE, 2002 Jetta GLS, 5 speed
has to be a ton of used tdi's around you with rusted bodies. look at mileage and listen to it run. purchase for less than 2000.00. you CAN do it.

mrfrankmrfrank

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2001 MKIV
I have finally secured finances to get my jetta back on the road. My mechanic and I are going over required purchases. He is hunting for a replacement engine with as low miles as he can find. I am tasked with looking for a used 17/22 garret turbo. I had always planned on upgrading to the 17/22 but never got around to it. Since my vnt-15 is dead, I'd rather spend money on the 17/22 than a used stock. I will also need to upgrade my clutch as it was slipping with the stock vnt-15 and an rc tune.

mrfrankmrfrank

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2001 MKIV
I managed to find and purchase a brand new ALH engine. This is not a rebuilt engine, rather a surplus engine directly from VW. I am very excited to have an engine with 0 miles and I get to be responsible for all oil changes from day 1.

I have also purchased

borg warner s7 turbo
BOSIO 1019 nozzles
kerma upgraded smic
3 bar map
OMI
southbend stage 2 endurance clutch
and the kerma 3" stainless complete exhaust.

I am hopeful that my injection pump is not damaged and can be carried over to the new engine.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
i managed to find and purchase a brand new alh engine. This is not a rebuilt engine, rather a surplus engine directly from vw. I am very excited to have an engine with 0 miles and i get to be responsible for all oil changes from day 1.

I have also purchased

borg warner s7 turbo
bosio 1019 nozzles
kerma upgraded smic
3 bar map
omi
southbend stage 2 endurance clutch
and the kerma 3" stainless complete exhaust.

I am hopeful that my injection pump is not damaged and can be carried over to the new engine.
.......:d

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Fantastic outcome! That drivetrain will be with you for a good long time if you want it to. :)

mrfrankmrfrank

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2001 MKIV
Some Updates! All parts have arrived and my mechanic has started the engine swap.

Old engine pulled

Last edited: