Just returned my leased TDI - They sent me a bill for $350

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
2x 2013 JSW (1 manual BOUGHT BACK 12/20/16, 1 DSG BOUGHT BACK 1/14/17), Audi A3 e-tron gas-plugin-hybrid, gas Volvo V60
When returning the vehicle early, this is what you need to pay:
Additional fees and charges:
If VW is going to accept early termination without penalty, then logically, the fees should be paid by VW since they are part of the penalty (I'm no lawyer and I'm sure they'll try to get as much back from customers as possible).
Anyway,
I scanned the 2 sections from the actual lease paper:
https://goo.gl/photos/mdReVhYXDcjVgsZj9

If that is part of the standard VW Credit lease agreement, then the $350 disposition fee should not be charged as the lease is ending early and it specifically says it will not be charged if ended early.

IANAL and all that.

Last edited:

adimex

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 TDI Cup 6MT (sold), 2014 JETTA TDI 6MT (recalled), 2014 JSW TDI 6MT & 2015 JETTA TDI DSG
Agreed.

Then the question arises for the Vehicle Return Fee of $350.

Kawazar

TDI
2014 Jetta
When returning the vehicle early, this is what you need to pay:
Additional fees and charges:
If VW is going to accept early termination without penalty, then logically, the fees should be paid by VW since they are part of the penalty (I'm no lawyer and I'm sure they'll try to get as much back from customers as possible).
Anyway,
I scanned the 2 sections from the actual lease paper:
https://goo.gl/photos/mdReVhYXDcjVgsZj9
My lease does not have the Vehicle Return Fee section only the Disposition Fee. So maybe they will have owners pay. Its not right at all if they enforce that!

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Its not right at all if they enforce that!
Why not? You agreed to that when you leased the car. Sure, they shouldn't penalize you for returning early (since getting those horrible polluting cars off the road is a big part of the point of the settlement), but it seems pretty reasonable that you otherwise comply with the lease agreement.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Why not? You agreed to that when you leased the car. Sure, they shouldn't penalize you for returning early (since getting those horrible polluting cars off the road is a big part of the point of the settlement), but it seems pretty reasonable that you otherwise comply with the lease agreement.
Of course it's reasonable. But that has little to do with the carping that has been going on about the money some people are receiving. In my mind, it's nothing more than "-someone's getting a dollar I'm not, so I'm upset." Yes, irrational, but human, all too human.

"Comparison is the death of joy." - Mark Twain

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
I was not aware of what a bunch of whiners many Americans are until I started participating in the VW Buy Back Settlement forum.

They whine and demand something for nothing then whine and complain it is taking too long to receive it or whine and complain because someone may be receiving more handouts than they are.

A pitiful bunch.

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
2x 2013 JSW (1 manual BOUGHT BACK 12/20/16, 1 DSG BOUGHT BACK 1/14/17), Audi A3 e-tron gas-plugin-hybrid, gas Volvo V60
Well, someone may have leased with the expectation to roll that over to another lease or to buy out the lease at lease end (I have done that in the past). VWs fraud has changed that calculus so now a fee that would not have been applicable according to the original intention now becomes applicable. Due to VWs fraudulent action (as a catalyst). I am not saying one way or the other but that is one path where a fee is now due that would not have been due if VW had not committed the fraud.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
They better not try that with me. I bought my car used with loan and only had one key
There's not going to be any issue with your lack of a second key. The only requirement is that the car be drivable, basically. If your one key will start it and it will drive in to the turn-in location, you'll be fine. The one report I've read by someone who has turned their car in stated that they only started inspecting the car after they accepted it. So- no worries.

scottb8888

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI
My Lease says:

You will pay a disposition fee of $350.00 when you return the vehicle at the end of the scheduled lease term. This fee will not apply if the Lease ends early or if you buy the vehicle.

This is addition to the early term fee..

So The lease is ending early!!

funstuie

TDI
2014 Jetta SW
So is there any information on what the deal will be for leased cars?

I have a JSW on lease and will be returning is when they finally call me in but I would like to know what the difference will be for my return as opposed to someone who bought the car?

Also I paid the extra for insurance so I don't have to worry about scratches and knocks etc over normal use. It's an extra $14 per month on the lease. My worry is the alloys - my wife has destroyed them. They are a complete mess.

adimex

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 TDI Cup 6MT (sold), 2014 JETTA TDI 6MT (recalled), 2014 JSW TDI 6MT & 2015 JETTA TDI DSG
Just returned my leased TDI - They sent me a bill for $350 plus tax for a disposition fee. I thought that was waived.

They also billed me for a lost key for $180 which I did turn both in. That one will be east to rectify but the $350 plus tax can be a problem.

Does anyone know if the disposition fee should be waived??

Hey, did you have to schedule a turn-in inspection with VW Credit or did they just do it there when you returned your car?

john-dude

TDI
2013 Golf
Lease up in six months, excess mileage bull****!

Our 48 month Lease will be up in about six months and wilt be over the 10k per year (just hit 40k last month). Originally we had planned on buying the car at the end, but now the car is worth far less than it would have been and I can't find out how to get a reasonable buy. Obviously VW just wants to get them off the road. Most likely they are going to grind them up, much like GM did with the original electric cars years ago. Anyone have any info that could help, will be much appreciated! FYI This car will be the third car we have leased through VW credit as well as one financed (2 Passats, a Jetta. a GTI and current Golf) Been very loyal customer.

adimex

Veteran Member
TDI
Our 48 month Lease will be up in about six months and wilt be over the 10k per year (just hit 40k last month). Originally we had planned on buying the car at the end, but now the car is worth far less than it would have been and I can't find out how to get a reasonable buy. Obviously VW just wants to get them off the road. Most likely they are going to grind them up, much like GM did with the original electric cars years ago. Anyone have any info that could help, will be much appreciated! FYI This car will be the third car we have leased through VW credit as well as one financed (2 Passats, a Jetta. a GTI and current Golf) Been very loyal customer.
Sorry but there's nothing you can do. You sign the contract with the amount of miles that you wanted, it will be nearly impossible to get out of it.

visortgw

Veteran Member
TDI
None: 2012 JSW with Sunroof (traded pre-scandal); 2014 JSW with Sunroof/Nav (early lease termination 12/17/2016)
You can lessen the impact of the excess mileage charges by executing the early lease termination as soon as possible. The terms of the settlement do not allow them to prorated the miles based upon when lease is actually terminated -- you are allowed full number of miles per the original lease.

Fourplay

, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2014 A8L
why anyone would want to lease a car is beyond me. Talk about a complete waste of money.....
Let's see:

-Tax benefits if you have a business
-Zero out of pocket maintenance costs (until they changed the included service)
-Warranty coverage (on a car that loves to eat $2k HPFPs)
-24/7 Roadside Assistance (when your HPFP blows up 750 miles from home)
-Fixed depreciation amount, regardless of what happens (like, uh, Dieselgate)

Shall I go on? Thanks for playing.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
I'm not a lessee, just gawking, however...

Since the settlement says, "no penalty for early termination," can a lessee simply turn in the car through the normal channels, then pursue the settlement reimbursement after the fact?

Is there any evidence of VW Claims giving lessees priority based on their contact expiration date? Do October and November contact end dates move to the front of the queue?

visortgw

Veteran Member
TDI
None: 2012 JSW with Sunroof (traded pre-scandal); 2014 JSW with Sunroof/Nav (early lease termination 12/17/2016)
I'm not a lessee, just gawking, however...

Since the settlement says, "no penalty for early termination," can a lessee simply turn in the car through the normal channels, then pursue the settlement reimbursement after the fact?

Is there any evidence of VW Claims giving lessees priority based on their contact expiration date? Do October and November contact end dates move to the front of the queue?
First, question appears to be no. I believe that that is the reason OP was charged disposition fee. Disposition fee does not apply for early termination (at least for my lease), but it is replaced by early termination fee (also $350) covered by VWGoA.

blaupunked

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE
There is one major problem though.

They are waiving these disposition fees if you buy or lease another VW. Therefore, they are essentially forcing you to buy or lease another VW despite their criminal action, or punishing you with a $350 free for leaving. Yes, lessees agreed to the fee when they leased the car originally, but that was under the assumption that we would consider another VW in the future. The finance people are VERY clear to point out when you lease the car: "don't worry, we waive that for you as long as you buy another VW."

VW is not allowed to offer incentives to TDI owners for buying a new VW. Why then are they allowed to waive the $350 disposition fee for TDI lessees who lease a new VW?

Last edited:

blaupunked

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE
Where in the settlement documents is this stated?
That is a good question.

I haven't personally seen it in the documents, but I have read here on the forums that salespeople are prohibited from approaching customers who are on the premesis to complete buybacks, and that there is currently a $1,000 cash incentive for buying a new VW, but since they cannot target TDI owners, the $1,000 incentive is simply available to anyone.

So for now, I can only confirm this as hearsay. I'll try to take a look later. If anyone knows, please weigh in.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
I know (or at least have heard) that VW is telling this to dealers, but I find no such prohibition in any of the settlement documents. It's always possible that I've missed it, particularly if it isn't in the FTC Consent Order, since that's the one I'm most familiar with. But to me, this seems like it's an internal VW thing, not a requirement of the settlement.

adimex

Veteran Member
TDI
VW is not allowed to offer incentives to TDI owners for buying a new VW. Why then are they allowed to waive the $350 disposition fee for TDI lessees who lease a new VW?

It's part of the lease contract. The $350 is waived when a New, CPO vehicle is purchased or a new VW is leased.

This isn't an incentive.

blaupunked

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE
It's part of the lease contract. The $350 is waived when a New, CPO vehicle is purchased or a new VW is leased.
This isn't an incentive.
You're right, but the terms have changed. They committed a criminal act of deception. Lessees shouldn't be forced to consider a new VW at this point. It should be waived for anyone. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone is going to held them to this. Seems like an oversight of the class counsel.