Just replaced an alternator on 2014 Jetta TDI. A few thoughts.

sloinker

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Sportwagen '15 Golf Hatch
First off, not my car. Daughter's friend. 111k miles. The decoupler on the alternator failed and was making much noise and movement of tensioner and belt. Gal took it to garage and they told her timing belt and quoted $1400. She called me and I'm thinking if it's a bad timing belt making noise, engine is already probably trashed. She drove it over and I diagnosed it. We ordered a new pulley and tool and I told her to take it home and not drive it. Parts show up and she brings it back. Pulley has detached itself from alternator shaft and belt isn't turning, she has been driving the car and using a battery charger for a week, she has been driving it and tells me now tha battery light came on the day after I diagnosed it. Jeesh! Alternator shaft is toast. We order alternator/tensioner and belt and wait another 4 days. Quick thumbs up to DB electrical for fast turnaround on new alternator at great price and performance test sheet in box. Now to the reason for the post. In watching a myriad of youtube videos and reading online I knew this job was going to be a chore. I have a lift and we removed the passenger wheel and inner splash shield, pulled fans and were in the process of pulling intake stuff when I went ahead and dropped AC compressor and hung it by hoses. Determined I only needed to drop large intake hose and plastic transition to another hose into passenger intercooler to have room. I never even moved the fuel filter assembly. So, long story short. Fans out, intercooler hoses and plastic transition piece from passenger side up to intake, drop AC compressor is the minimum needed for access for alternator change on this vehicle. Having wheel and fender splash shield removed makes it easier for visual but not needed. Knowing then what I know now and I figure about 2.5 hours round trip for this repair. I wonder if this is how the dealer does it?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It is 2.9hr labor, and the procedure has you move the lock carrier into service position. But you can weasel it out with the fans removed. It is tight, but it will come out. Although taking the bumper cover off is super easy anyway, and then the lock carrier assembly sides a few inches out to make even more room, if you want.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Yeah. Removing the bumper cover taking the crash bar off and moving the radiator holder forward takes an hour.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Blindfolded, maybe, LOL. Takes me 15 minutes. The NCS is super easy to take apart. I don't even fight those stupid worthless DRLs anymore.