Just Picked up 2013 Sport Wagon

rrgrassi

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI 5 speed
We just picked up a 2013 Sport Wagon. It has been tuned and had some items deleted. It has 193K on it. Also has the pushbutton start. Is this car a hybrid of the Golf and Jetta? Rear seat room reminds me of the Golf.

The car has had the flywheel replaced and timing belt done. Also, the suspension bushings have been replaced and Bilstiens installed an all four corners.

I am not familiar with the 2.0 TDI engine. Anything I need to watch out for? I am familial with the ALH and BRM.

Thanks!

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
-2013 JSW 6MT- -2006 Jetta DSG-
the JSW was a "Golf Variant" in the rest of the world. the car is essentially a golf. another handy thing to know is that under the body skin, the car is still an A5 platform which debuted (in the US) as 2005.5, MK5 models.

i think i catch your drift about some things being deleted, which will save you from the VW 507 oil spec. if indeed you do not have some certain things, you can run with the same 5w40 oil as older TDIs. if you do need to meet the 507 spec, i would recommend finding a low SAPs 5w40 as opposed to the 0/5w30 that VW recommends

enjoy!
i know i do ;)

lemoncurd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 CJAA GTB2266
correct, since you are deleted you do not need 50700 spec oil. 50500 will do just fine.

and yes i also agree with not using 0w stuff. especially as these engines wear a thinner oil may end up leaking more than a heavier weight one

rrgrassi

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI 5 speed
Good info! I will not use thin oils in a diesel. I have had an ALH Golf, three MKV Jettas-all BRM, and now the JSW.

What engine code is the 2.0?

I also had an MD w123 OM617.952, and currently have the 91, and my Dodge 5.9 Cummins. Oh, and I have a Hinomoto E230 two pot diesel tractor. I have no gasoline powered items, except a two stroke weed eater.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Even in Canada, the Mk6 wagon was sold as "Golf wagon" (don't think that it even got the "Sport" prefix to "wagon").
CJAA engine.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Good info! I will not use thin oils in a diesel. I have had an ALH Golf, three MKV Jettas-all BRM, and now the JSW.

What engine code is the 2.0?

I also had an MD w123 OM617.952, and currently have the 91, and my Dodge 5.9 Cummins. Oh, and I have a Hinomoto E230 two pot diesel tractor. I have no gasoline powered items, except a two stroke weed eater.
The 0w30 507 spec oil you'd get from a dealer really isn't any thinner at operating temps than a 5w30 507 oil. That's a pretty common misconception by folks who think the W in 5w30 stands for weight. It does not. They are both 30 weight oils.

rrgrassi

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI 5 speed
Yes, I understand the lower number is how the oil is supposed to flow when cold. I used 5w40 Total Quartz Synthetic in the BRM engines. In the Dodge and Benz, I use 15w40 Rotella T6.

I am seeing posts about a DPF breaking. What is the DPF? I have never heard of that.

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Diesel particulate folder. It basically collects soot from the exhaust and then when it reaches a certain collected mass, the ECU burns some extra fuel to super-heat it and burn off the soot (often referred to as "regen" here).

And yes, on the Mk6, they were known to occasionally develop cracks.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Regarding the oil:

The CR engines do not use flat-tappet direct-on-cam hydraulic adjusted followers. They use little tiny rollers that pivot off of a little hydraulic lash adjuster, as many other OHC engines do. So the necessity of high sheer load oil that the VE and especially PD engines (as well as many older VAG gasoline engines) used is of no concern. An Xw30 oil is perfectly fine. We run the same oil in the deleted cars as those that aren't, and they are perfectly fine... even after hundreds of thousands of miles. What you CAN do, is lengthen the service interval if you like, as the soot load in the oil goes way, way down when they are deleted, not to mention the oil doesn't get the furnace blasting heat load anymore, either.

And honestly, if a few bucks difference in oil has your wallet squeaking, you really shouldn't own a Volkswagen.

Regarding the platform:

despite the rampant use of "Mk6" or "A6", the variant through 2014 is indeed an A5 platform, not an A6. It just got a facelift in 2010.5 to look like an A6 Golf, along with a new dashboard. But the underpinnings are all A5. The variants jumped straight from A5 to the A7, in 2015. However, the A6 is not drastically different than the A5 anyway, and they share a lot of parts. The sedans went to a different platform starting in 2011, the NCS (New Compact Sedan), which is VERY different. The 2012+ Beetle is also based on this NCS platform.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So, a 2012 Golf is a true Mk6, while a 2012 Jetta is a Mk5 facelifted, and a (Canadian) Golf Sportwagen is a Mk5 in Mk6 Golf clothing, which looks exactly like the don't-call-it-Mk6 USA Jetta Sportwagen?

Got it! 😃

oilhammer

TDI
Yep, pretty much. The A6 Golf got different body stampings, so I guess that is why they graced it with a new Typ code (1K to 5K) The variant didn't. The A5 Golf was inexplicably given the rehashed Rabbit name for us, which further adds to the confusion. However, the Rabbits were all gassers, so nobody cares. :p

And to be fair, there are a LOT of 1K parts in the 5K Golf. They didn't change the car *that* much. Nothing like the change from A3 to A4, more like the change from A2 to A3, perhaps less.

Last edited:

Tuheeden

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 & 2014 Jetta sportwagon
We just picked up a 2013 Sport Wagon. It has been tuned and had some items deleted. It has 193K on it. Also has the pushbutton start. Is this car a hybrid of the Golf and Jetta? Rear seat room reminds me of the Golf.

The car has had the flywheel replaced and timing belt done. Also, the suspension bushings have been replaced and Bilstiens installed an all four corners.

I am not familiar with the 2.0 TDI engine. Anything I need to watch out for? I am familial with the ALH and BRM.

Thanks!
At that mileage I would be on the lookout for the fuel pump! The CP4 stock pump is notorious for self destructing and taking the entire system with it.
Other than that the CJAA engine is a solid performer. Of course the dual mass flywheels are the other common maintenance item but you mentioned you already had a new one

oilhammer

TDI
I'd me more worried about Canada invading Montana than I would the HPFP failing. I know it can happen, but it seems to be a pretty rare event, despite the internet panic. I have serviced these cars every day since they came out, lots of them (less post-Dieselgate of course), and I can count on one hand how many failed HPFPs I've seen, three of which were fixed under warranty. And the last one was over six years ago.

But things like turbochargers? I have TWO here right now with bad ones, and another at home.

Frozen intercoolers? Dozens of those, some resulting in nothing but a drain and a glow plug removal and thaw, others resulting in a cooked starter, and still others resulting in bent rods.

DPFs? Yeah, like one a week. It's ridiculous.

Now, once deleted, some of these things go away, so that will certainly help.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf

Thanks!
Now I'm curious what you paid for it. Sounds like a nice car. I just picked a 2011 up tonight for my girlfriend - her first diesel. I have a 2013 myself (in my signature).

So the Sportwagen is kinda funny - mk6 body styling, lots of mk5 electronics and interior. Golf headlights, but not tail lights. It's a weird beast. But like others have said, it's the Golf Variant in the rest of the world, though I've heard some refer to it as the Golf Estate as well.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
In theory, since it’s not quite legal, deleting the DPF reduces strain/stress on the engine? Improved MPG? But getting one is very expensive.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Yes to both. But in MA you'll be in a world of hurt if you delete it before it's 15 years old.