Just lost my only key fob, question on vcds

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
just lost my only SEL kessy fob in the river (don't ask) my car is in the parking lot locked up and sorta safe. Question, Can I use vcds to pair the Non Kessy key fob from my totaled 2013 SE to my new 2015 SEL? Hoping to avoid paying for a new fob. Thanks, Joe

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
Well that totally sucks. Upon your request, I will not ask about the how it went down the river.

To my understanding, you cannot use VCDS to pair keys IMMO chips without knowing the SKC (chances are good you don't have that just laying around). If you had that up front you'd be good IF you paired it before loosing the other. You still have to turn the ignition on, and can't do that without the KESSY system authorizing the ignition to turn on.

As far as pairing a non KESSY key IMMO chip to work with a KESSY system, I don't know why or why not.

Last edited:

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Pretty sure that’s not gonna be possible...

I believe the immobilizer chips are different.

Unless I am mistaken, the key where you put it in the ignition uses a passive immobilizer that does not actively respond to the ignition system.

I know for a fact that the KESSY day is active. If you watch your key when you unlock the door or press the start button, you will see the red light blink as it communicates with the car.

I am almost certain you won’t be able to use your non-kessy key on your KESSY car.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
The only resolution is to tow it to the dealership, buy two keys, and have them program both at the same time. You can do one key only but you're only saving about $150 bucks from a process that is going to cost somewhere between $500-600 dollars including the tow.

Don't beat yourself up too badly because the older key could not have been programmed to your newer car regardless so you're only out the $150 for the key that is in the river and the tow charge if you don't have AAA or roadside assistance.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
The only resolution is to tow it to the dealership, buy two keys, and have them program both at the same time. You can do one key only but you're only saving about $150 bucks from a process that is going to cost somewhere between $500-600 dollars including the tow.

Don't beat yourself up too badly because the older key could not have been programmed to your newer car regardless so you're only out the $150 for the key that is in the river and the tow charge if you don't have AAA or roadside assistance.
Yup, your right- Spent most of last night online, I think mytubodiesel can get me up and running with a premium membership with 2 new keys and my VCDS- your right the SKC is a issue. The car is 5 hours away from the dealer so i am Going to try and drag it onto a U haul trailer today- jacking up the front and placing McDonalds trays under the front tires and come a long it up. thank goodness i didnt set the ebrake

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Tires drag pretty easily, 5 hours is pretty good haul.

It doesn't have to be a dealer that programs keys, just a shop that has ODIS. Any worth while VW/Audi shop should have it.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
broke a come along, that thing was rough to get aboard....after it was all buttoned up a dude who owns a towing company walked up after hauling his boat out of the water, he said there should be a Manuel park lock override below the cowling to the right of the dsg selector? Anyone know about this? I havent dared to pop off the cover yet. Car is home, now I gotta order keys and make a apt.
EDIT, yup easy park lock release, now I understand why he chuckled at my McDonald's trays under the front wheels and several of us sliding the car left and right to align it onto the trailer. lol- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGtyJl3JXtI

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Care to snag pictures of that?

I'd have to imagine the belly pan needs to come off?

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
I needed to do this to get it off the trailer, one should note that my SEL didn't pop up like his in the video. pulled like crazy from the front and by the ebrake- got it 1/4 the way up but it popped and left stress marks both to the left and right of my cup holder :( I was able to sneak a screwdriver in and push down and got it into N just fine. My local VW dealer was overall awesome, said i was in good sprites after blowing hundreds on fuel to trailer this thing to them. I told them car stuff is small potatoes after loosing 3 immediate family members to cancer this year! Dont sweat the small stuff & live life like its your last day!

Last edited:

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
When I bought my car it too only came with one (KESSY) keyfob. There is no way in hell I would use my car with only one keyfob/key.

Had a brand new one made at a dealer in Mexico for under $ 200.00 as soon as I got there in November 2016.

A little different, but just a few days ago my car alarm went off as soon as I got in the car. I had left the door unlocked in error. "Key not in range" message.
Fortunately I read the owners manual when I bought the car and remembered even if the keyfob battery is dead just holding the keyfob to the right side of the steering column would let me start the car and get me home to change out the battery.

Last edited:

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
Great news, I emailed the previous owner to ask if they had any spare fobs and somehow they had just found the 2nd one a week ago and planned to send it to me- he over nighted me the fob for free! YAY
Question- Now that I have a working fob can I use VCDS to pair the 2 more I ordered myself in VCDS or does the dealer need to do all 3 at once with the SKC?

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Great news, I emailed the previous owner to ask if they had any spare fobs and somehow they had just found the 2nd one a week ago and planned to send it to me- he over nighted me the fob for free! YAY
Question- Now that I have a working fob can I use VCDS to pair the 2 more I ordered myself in VCDS or does the dealer need to do all 3 at once with the SKC?

Nope a VCDS cannot do it.

Even in the MK IV days you needed a special program to set up another key.

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
You need the dealer to do the key pairing and you need to have all keys you want paired in the same session.