Just got my first TDI what recommendations would you have for things i should do for it.

drew_t

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
No its an ODB device with a subscription service that will bleed you dry. VCDS is a way way way better value/tool.

Sure you don't need ODBEleven "Pro" to read and clear codes, but to do adaptations and a few other things you gotta pay the yearly fee.

Only benefit of ODBEleven i see is you can use the app on your phone (but only if you have cell phone/wifi) where as vcds is laptop bound.
Paid $109 for mine with a lifetime Pro plan in 2020.

Even if they’re making you pay an annual fee now, I’d argue that it still might make more sense for the owner of a single VW that already has 180,000 miles on it at the time of acquisition.

drew_t

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
There have been dozens of people posting here about it... the DEF warning coming on, despite the tank being full, and the 'no start' count down happening, and the dealers having no way to fix them.
Is this an issue in areas that don’t have cold winters?

AverageAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2013 Golf TDI 6MT, 2013 Jetta TDI 6MT (R.I.P.)

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
It (200 miles to no start) happened to me on summer day, temp in the 50s, going up a dirt road in the mountains. Where I live in western WA state we don't have cold winters, maybe a few days below freezing in the twenties but mid 30s-mid-40s is more typical.

RyoshiUtt

TDI
2013 Passat 2.0 SE TDI
So an update. I found detailed service records. The heater core was replaced around 130k along with the turbo timing water and some other related stuff. The turbo was eating into the housing and was covered under the previous owners warranty. So mine is about 50k miles old. It was a company car and I just found where the kept the service records so I have details of everything that was serviced when and where. It was kept up very well. It had an accident that I knew about but just found out details. Airbags didn't deploy the car was Tboned on the driver side and all damages were fixed. I just read through all the documents.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Paid $109 for mine with a lifetime Pro plan in 2020.

Even if they’re making you pay an annual fee now, I’d argue that it still might make more sense for the owner of a single VW that already has 180,000 miles on it at the time of acquisition.
VCDS also had unlimited VIN dongles for sale at one time.

I bought my ODBEleven pro summer 2022. I guess i could have shelled out more cash for unlimited subscription but the vendor i bought it from just had the 1 year. Its $175 right now to jump to unlimited.

Still doesn't get around to needing cell data to work, which sometimes is very very hard to come by in my neck of the woods.

I have no regrets having it as a VW specific code reader, its helped me a ton on the TSI chasing down WGA issues and clearing a code while driving. I'd never juggle VCDS while driving.

RyoshiUtt

TDI
2013 Passat 2.0 SE TDI
VCDS also had unlimited VIN dongles for sale at one time.

I bought my ODBEleven pro summer 2022. I guess i could have shelled out more cash for unlimited subscription but the vendor i bought it from just had the 1 year. Its $175 right now to jump to unlimited.

Still doesn't get around to needing cell data to work, which sometimes is very very hard to come by in my neck of the woods.

I have no regrets having it as a VW specific code reader, its helped me a ton on the TSI chasing down WGA issues and clearing a code while driving. I'd never juggle VCDS while driving.
At some point in time I might get something like that to pair with a new head unit but it's gonna be about a year or so until I can

drew_t

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Go with an RCD330, no pairing/code needed.
I was looking at the RCD330 subreddit and the AliExpress listings the other day. Some of the vendors are now selling what they’re calling an RCD880, which appears to be RCD330 guts with an 8” screen and all the buttons on the left side. No volume knob, though. The bigger screen would be nice, but I hate not having a volume knob.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
I was looking at the RCD330 subreddit and the AliExpress listings the other day. Some of the vendors are now selling what they’re calling an RCD880, which appears to be RCD330 guts with an 8” screen and all the buttons on the left side. No volume knob, though. The bigger screen would be nice, but I hate not having a volume knob.
That's a rift on I believe MIB3, with a large glass screen, no knobs. I had that once in a rental and didn't like it.

Shiboxtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW JETTA ALH TDI (SOLD)
Budget a $1200 turbo from PerformanceTDI. The 1556 turbo. The stock one likes to blow pretty quickly. It’s a design flaw- not a wear problem necessarily.

Otherwise it’s a decent car. Mine is at 181k and I had to do some work on it. The turbo blew and I deleted the emissions junk before that. Also the DMF went out.

As far as any upgrades: A tune will wake the car up quite a bit. Also a Headunit will change the whole driving experience with Carplay and other creature comforts.
What head unit are you using?

Shiboxtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
if you take the timing belt cover off, and rotate the engine over, you should be able to find a belt manufacturing date printed on the belt's smooth side. unless my memory is faulting me

no way to see if the water pump was replaced to my knowledge though, but i believe they have a weep hole. so if the belt checks out, you could always just check on the water pump weephole every 20k miles when you do your fuel filter.

imo, for how cheap a timing belt + waterpump service is compared to a new engine, if you have ANY doubt it was actually serviced i would just service it.
If the timing belt was too break off would it pretty much “destroy“ your engine

Shiboxtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I guess it’s too late, but I’ll mention that I bought an OBDEleven rather than VCDS when I bought my Passat. Basically it’s a Bluetooth dongle and a phone app instead of a cable and laptop. It’s worked fine for reading the few trouble codes I’ve gotten, running the lift pump after fuel filter changes (after the obligatory 10 minutes of trying to find where they hid that particular function) and playing with a few of the coding options.
Did you have to buy a subscription for?

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Never guess on that. If you have no history of it being done, regardless of you being the owner or not, I would do it for piece of mind. I've done some at the intervals and the belt doesnt look bad. Not something you want to take a chance with.

RyoshiUtt

TDI
2013 Passat 2.0 SE TDI
Never guess on that. If you have no history of it being done, regardless of you being the owner or not, I would do it for piece of mind. I've done some at the intervals and the belt doesnt look bad. Not something you want to take a chance with.
I called the dealership the services were done at. It's actually been serviced twice. One around 90k and another around 135k. The second one was because the turbo was going out so they replaced it the water pump timing belt heater core and a few smaller things. I guess they figured since they already had the engine taken apart.

RyoshiUtt

TDI
2013 Passat 2.0 SE TDI
I'm looking for the best tuning box for my car. I'm looking for fuel efficiency and engine life. Who all has experience in this kind of thing?

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Then I would wait until you can grab that tune because I believe everyone uses the Kerma tune for these cars. Especially if you want to leave things intact. I wouldnt cheap out on this kind of thing.

RyoshiUtt

TDI
2013 Passat 2.0 SE TDI
Then I would wait until you can grab that tune because I believe everyone uses the Kerma tune for these cars. Especially if you want to leave things intact. I wouldnt cheap out on this kind of thing.
Ok ill probably just wait then. I'd hate to spend like 300$ less for a tune just to pay like 4k for a new engine.

danmin

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat 2.0 TDI @ 180k
What head unit are you using?
Here it is. No issues with it besides it didn’t come with a backup camera adapter. That’ll cost about $20.

Make sure to get the “Color: W9(2-32GB)-0” Version. Best bang for your buck as far as which screen it has and processors. Come with wireless carplay. Makes the whole car seem a lot newer and nicer in my opinion. Also plenty of sound EQ options to get the most out of the crappy stock speakers.

Shiboxtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Here it is. No issues with it besides it didn’t come with a backup camera adapter. That’ll cost about $20.

Make sure to get the “Color: W9(2-32GB)-0” Version. Best bang for your buck as far as which screen it has and processors. Come with wireless carplay. Makes the whole car seem a lot newer and nicer in my opinion. Also plenty of sound EQ options to get the most out of the crappy stock speakers.
Will it fit in 2003 Jetta and if so is it just a direct fit

RSH

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
If it's not still under the diesel gate warranty I would get rid of it. If the high dollar parts have not been replaced yet, then replacement can/will be needed at anytime. If your up for a challenge, this is the car.

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
@danmin - is the Ali Express straight plug and play? No codes or pairing or anything needed? I know you said you had a shop put it in with a sub, but curious if you do know if it's that straight forward.

That W9 model is a helluva deal compared to RCD330. Heck, even the upgrade to the GX9Pro looks like a great deal at ~$225.

I've got the OE Fender branded setup that is laggy as hell. Always had in back of mind to drop a Pioneer in with wiring harness and install kit like I did with my B5.5. But that would be several hundred dollars more and still looks aftermarket even if it works great. But the AliExpress looks more OEM with same/better features at a much lower price.

This was on my longer-term radar but might have to pull the trigger now if AliExpress is that straight forward and just $140 - $225 (depending on model/features selected). The current lagginess of the OE Fender Dynamics system is driving me crazy.

Last edited:

RyoshiUtt

TDI
2013 Passat 2.0 SE TDI
I just bought the kerma tune device. My car started with the adblue codes and after doing some research I seen this is more than likely going to fix the issue I'm having. And I'm really glad you guys recommended both the kerma tune and the VCDS cable. The VCDS has been very useful for me so far.