Just got my first TDI what recommendations would you have for things i should do for it.

RyoshiUtt

TDI
2013 Passat 2.0 SE TDI
I just bought my first TDI its a 2013 2.0 Passat SE, with 180k miles. I'm new to diesel engines in general this is my or my family's first time owning a diesel car. My question to all you TDI veterans what should I look for in my car. The car has a great service record it was a salesman's car and his company took very good care of it. I plan on using this as my daily driver plus a monthly trip totalling about 1100 miles.

danmin

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat 2.0 TDI @ 180k
Budget a $1200 turbo from PerformanceTDI. The 1556 turbo. The stock one likes to blow pretty quickly. It’s a design flaw- not a wear problem necessarily.

Otherwise it’s a decent car. Mine is at 181k and I had to do some work on it. The turbo blew and I deleted the emissions junk before that. Also the DMF went out.

As far as any upgrades: A tune will wake the car up quite a bit. Also a Headunit will change the whole driving experience with Carplay and other creature comforts.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
Service the fuel filter and transmission fluid/filter on schedule.
Put in LED headlights (LasFit see posts here on that). The stock headlights are horrible.
Install Kerma Tune - get better fuel economy and keep pesky emissions codes/faults at bay. This is the biggest Achilles heel for these cars, by far (but there are other bugaboos discussed ad nauseum on this forum).
Change your coolant to G12, G12+ or G12++.
Use VW 507.00 rated oil only.
When you do an oil change clean out the intercooler (pull hose at bottom and wipe up the accumulated goo and oil in the hose and bottom of intercooler. Also clean the sensor at the top of the intercooler.

In cold weather, allow the glow plugs to cycle for 5 seconds or until the glow plug light goes out. It helps the car start easier. I also add an occasional dose of PowerService Diesel Kleen in the winter to keep the fuel fresh and increase the Cetane rating which also helps in cold weather. Since this is your first diesel, be very conscious to NEVER EVER add gasoline to the fuel tank. Diesel only. If anyone else new to diesels also drives your car give them this lecture too.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Always let the GP go out before starting.

Solve the emissions headaches.

Invest in some sort of aggressive coolant flush.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The CKRAs are, by far, some of the most fragile wallet-crushing Volkswagens without spark plugs I've seen in a while.

I've got one here with 77k miles that I'm pretty sure doesn't have any warnings left to offer, has 14 DTCs, DEF countdown going, WIPED OUT control arm bushings, stuck rear calipers, a dead cylinder, and oil/coolant barfing out the oil filter housing. It came in for "no heat"... LMAO.

Be for sale cheap most likely if anyone is looking...

danmin

Veteran Member
TDI
It’s not that terrible of a platform. Took me a little over $3,000 to get all the typical CKRA and general VW problems ironed out indefinitely. DIY was relatively cheap. Turbo kit, DMF, Delete and tune, full suspension rebuild/replace, brake pads and rotors, heater core, oil cooler, motor mounts, re-ring injectors, etc.

Now if I took this car to a mechanic and said “Do all that”, @ $150/hr I’d be broke pretty fast.

If I could do it all over again- I would’ve gotten a Honda Civic though

tristan81491

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Ok I will offer some advice since folks have covered the (very real) doom and gloom of the CKRAs. Are you handy? Do you work on your cars? New to VW or diesels or both? If you rely on folks to do the work on your car, do not bring it to a VW dealer. Overpriced, incompetent and frustrating. Here's a list of known VW TDI gurus by state: https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/trusted-tdi-mechanics-by-state.130044/

You did the right thing by coming to TDIClub which has a wealth of knowledge. If you work on your own car, I would suggest logging into VW erWin (https://erwin.vw.com/erwin/showHome.do) and paying the $35 for a one day access subscription and then downloading all the repair manuals, etc. they ave for your car.

For a tiny sampling of what erWin offers/basic good info, here's the quick reference guide for your car that has some parts diagrams that come from the erWin manuals: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2012/MC-10073698-2280.pdf

Keeping your car maintained is important: https://pics.tdiclub.com/data/516/2013_Passat_TDI.pdf

The 2012-2014 have a not so great engine; the 2015 got a totally different engine and then dieselgate happened. So if you're reading posts on something engine wise and it's a 2015 Passat, be aware there may be some differences.

I think it's safe to say you are out of the dieslgate warranty but you can double check here: https://www.vwdieselinfo.com/

ECSTuning, FCP Euro and IDParts are some of the great sources for parts online.

If you remove the emissions equipment form your vehicle, you will likely extend the life of your vehicle and have less headaches but that's up to you.

RyoshiUtt

TDI
2013 Passat 2.0 SE TDI
Good luck to the OP but I cannot fathom rolling the dice on a first time diesel purchase on a CKRA with 180k on it and unknown history 😬
I forgot to mention the service history isn't unknown. It has been well kept up. It has been serviced at a VW dealership on time since it was bought.

drew_t

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I forgot to mention the service history isn't unknown. It has been well kept up. It has been serviced at a VW dealership on time since it was bought.
It would be instructive to know if any of the emissions-related stuff has been replaced, under warranty or otherwise. Also, double check that the prior owner had the more expensive work done on schedule, not just oil changes. The DSG fluid and filter is supposed to be changed at 40K intervals; make sure the timing belt and water pump have been done at least once. If everything has truly been done on time, you may as well just keep up the scheduled maintenance and drive and enjoy the car for however long it lasts. Hopefully you didn’t pay a lot of money for this car, or buy it thinking it was going to go a million miles like a diesel Mercedes taxi or something.

RyoshiUtt

TDI
2013 Passat 2.0 SE TDI
I payed 4800 for it so not something cheap but not to much also. The emmision stuff was done under warranty, the more dsg has been serviced at the 40k mile intervals. The only thing concerning is the timing belt hasn't been replaced or the water pump. "according to the paperwork given to me" the heater core has been replaced not sure if that pertains to anything or not tho. The report I'm reading is a carfax. It does say things along the lines of recommended service done but it doesn't say water pump or timing belt once.

Last edited:

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Heck yeah, heater core is pertinent, 2012-14 Passats are notorious for clogged cores. There are multiple threads on the issue. Good reading.

danmin

Veteran Member
TDI
I payed 4800 for it so not something cheap but not to much also. The emmision stuff was done under warranty, the more dsg has been serviced at the 40k mile intervals. The only thing concerning is the timing belt hasn't been replaced or the water pump. "according to the paperwork given to me" the heater core has been replaced not sure if that pertains to anything or not tho. The report I'm reading is a carfax. It does say things along the lines of recommended service done but it doesn't say water pump or timing belt once.
Pretty much identical situation as me. same miles, price, and “service history” lol. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Had to do everything you just mentioned DIY.

drew_t

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
When a timing belt is changed, it’s customary for the shop to put a sticker on the timing belt cover that has the odometer reading and date the job was done. See if you can find one. You can also try getting in touch with the dealership(s) that serviced the car. I think the service where the T-belt is supposed to be done is the 130,00 mile one. However, a lot of owners have water pump failure before that; the smart thing to do is to replace the T-belt when replacing the water pump, since the pump is driven by the T-belt on these engines. But you never know if the dealership is going to recommend the smart thing, or if the customer declined it to keep expenses down.

tristan81491

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Timing belt and water pump service is recommended at 130,000 miles. While it’s in entirely possible they never did it. Here’s an article of a guy getting to 200K before belt finally gave in. I agree on checking around under the hood for info on a belt change.

Last edited:

AverageAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2013 Golf TDI 6MT, 2013 Jetta TDI 6MT (R.I.P.)
Good news is, just found out Volkswagen has new CKRAs for only $3300! Probably means they're going to go NLA before too long. But boy that's pretty cheap!
So if your turbo blows and you are due for a timing belt replacement (and have to pay a mechanic to do this), it may be cheaper to just buy and swap in a new engine!?!

RyoshiUtt

TDI
2013 Passat 2.0 SE TDI
I'm hoping they did do the Tbelt and Water pump. It was someone's company car and I've been told all the services were kept up for liability sake. So I'd assume the expenses weren't a problem.

Edit: And I meant to quote drew_t but I messed up doing it.

lemoncurd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 CJAA GTB2266
if you take the timing belt cover off, and rotate the engine over, you should be able to find a belt manufacturing date printed on the belt's smooth side. unless my memory is faulting me

no way to see if the water pump was replaced to my knowledge though, but i believe they have a weep hole. so if the belt checks out, you could always just check on the water pump weephole every 20k miles when you do your fuel filter.

imo, for how cheap a timing belt + waterpump service is compared to a new engine, if you have ANY doubt it was actually serviced i would just service it.

RyoshiUtt

TDI
2013 Passat 2.0 SE TDI
if you take the timing belt cover off, and rotate the engine over, you should be able to find a belt manufacturing date printed on the belt's smooth side. unless my memory is faulting me

no way to see if the water pump was replaced to my knowledge though, but i believe they have a weep hole. so if the belt checks out, you could always just check on the water pump weephole every 20k miles when you do your fuel filter.

imo, for how cheap a timing belt + waterpump service is compared to a new engine, if you have ANY doubt it was actually serviced i would just service it.
I'm gonna call the dealership it was serviced at and ask. If that doesn't work I'm gonna look for the sticker. If I can't find that I'm gonna just service/get it serviced. That's the current game plan

RyoshiUtt

TDI
2013 Passat 2.0 SE TDI
Update. I called the Vw dealership and they have changed the belt and pump at 119k so roughly 60k ago. I guess I'm clear for about another 20k miles right?

drew_t

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
O
Should I have any concerns about the turbo or no?
It might break some day; it might not. There isn’t anything you can do to “service” it, per se. Just keep up the scheduled maintenance, and make sure that whoever is doing the oil changes is using the correct oil. Don’t trust any “Speedy Oil Changers” type of place unless they let you supply the oil and let you watch them open the jug and pour it into the engine.

RyoshiUtt

TDI
2013 Passat 2.0 SE TDI
O

It might break some day; it might not. There isn’t anything you can do to “service” it, per se. Just keep up the scheduled maintenance, and make sure that whoever is doing the oil changes is using the correct oil. Don’t trust any “Speedy Oil Changers” type of place unless they let you supply the oil and let you watch them open the jug and pour it into the engine.
I'm thinking I'm gonna have my first service at the VW dealership and then after that I'll either do it myself or find somewhere I can trust nearby. The dealer has done the majority of the services to it already plus I'd like to get a heads up on anything. I'm hoping to be able to avoid the dealer as much as possible tho.

RyoshiUtt

TDI
2013 Passat 2.0 SE TDI
Ok I will offer some advice since folks have covered the (very real) doom and gloom of the CKRAs. Are you handy? Do you work on your cars? New to VW or diesels or both? If you rely on folks to do the work on your car, do not bring it to a VW dealer. Overpriced, incompetent and frustrating. Here's a list of known VW TDI gurus by state: https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.php?threads/trusted-tdi-mechanics-by-state.130044/

You did the right thing by coming to TDIClub which has a wealth of knowledge. If you work on your own car, I would suggest logging into VW erWin (https://erwin.vw.com/erwin/showHome.do) and paying the $35 for a one day access subscription and then downloading all the repair manuals, etc. they ave for your car.

For a tiny sampling of what erWin offers/basic good info, here's the quick reference guide for your car that has some parts diagrams that come from the erWin manuals: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2012/MC-10073698-2280.pdf

Keeping your car maintained is important: https://pics.tdiclub.com/data/516/2013_Passat_TDI.pdf

The 2012-2014 have a not so great engine; the 2015 got a totally different engine and then dieselgate happened. So if you're reading posts on something engine wise and it's a 2015 Passat, be aware there may be some differences.

I think it's safe to say you are out of the dieslgate warranty but you can double check here: https://www.vwdieselinfo.com/

ECSTuning, FCP Euro and IDParts are some of the great sources for parts online.

If you remove the emissions equipment form your vehicle, you will likely extend the life of your vehicle and have less headaches but that's up to you.
The IDparts online that Tristan mentioned has the kits for the DIY servicing. I was looking at it earlier. I'm gonna hunt around forums/YouTube and try to gain as much knowledge as I can about things before I try it myself tho. I'm not a very handy man at the moment. I'm not necessarily bad at it I've just never applied myself to mechanical things. That's gonna change shortly tho lol.