Just did my first ea288 oil change

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
I've put almost 90k on two ea288, and finally did my first oil change, actually.... A 40k.

Had a maintenance package on my first one, and couple freebies on this one.

All I can say is LOL...... This is my third CT tdi.

While not an actually difficult job, it might be the stupidest placement of a set of filters I've ever seen.

Removing the battery box to get to the DSG filter was pretty comical, but that oil filter placement, lol.....

w123houston

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI 6MT
i've seen a few youtube vids on an ea288 oil change - a messy endeavor for sure. glad you got it under control

mheat

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW, 03 JSW
Just did my first.
Canadian model has inline coolant heater in the way, also.
However, after tying back the heater hoses, unplugging an electrical connector and tying it back, it was pretty straightforward with only a couple of drops that missed the catch can. Would have been impossible to figure out without the TDI Club guidance. Tying back with zip ties worked like a charm. I also got a Quickjack Lift from Costco
https://www.costco.ca/QuickJack-BL-...ble-Car-Lifting-System.product.100410530.html
which will pretty much pay for itself by not having to take the car to the dealer for oil changes 2 hrs away and wasting a whole day.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Not to derail the conversation, but I've been looking at the QuickJack for a while, too; how high does it lift the vehicle from its normal resting state? How much ground clearance under the tires?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
$1500, that's a lot of dealer service, but my dealer is only 20 min away. I did justify $200 for a jack and 4 jack stands and $50 rhino ramps for simple oil changes.

Thing for me would be storing the quick jacks when not in use.

mheat

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW, 03 JSW
Not to derail the conversation, but I've been looking at the QuickJack for a while, too; how high does it lift the vehicle from its normal resting state? How much ground clearance under the tires?

I got the 7,000 lb version, to do my Sprinter, also. It lifts 18". It comes with 2 heights of rubber blocks that you can stack, and you can get optional blocks for trucks, SUV etc.

For the GSW I cut a groove in the taller blocks to fit the lifting lip on the car. It is a fairly snug fit with just 1 block, and you almost get the full 18" of lift on the body. The wheels drop a bit of course, but I have not measured it. Maybe 10" under the wheels.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
I got the 7,000 lb version, to do my Sprinter, also. It lifts 18". It comes with 2 heights of rubber blocks that you can stack, and you can get optional blocks for trucks, SUV etc.

For the GSW I cut a groove in the taller blocks to fit the lifting lip on the car. It is a fairly snug fit with just 1 block, and you almost get the full 18" of lift on the body. The wheels drop a bit of course, but I have not measured it. Maybe 10" under the wheels.
For that much money, I'd rather have a Triumph two Post lift like the NT-9. Yes, is is a hard install, but if you have a shop, or third/spare garage slot...much more for the money. OFF the ground and up in the air. Sweet!

I agree that the oil filter placement is dumb. Sometimes I think the engineers just laugh when they decide where to put it. The little plastic drain plug is especially cheapo. For the rubber tube in the way, about a six inch 1"x 2" does the trick. Holds it off and out of the way. That helps, but There is still wipe down after the fact. What a mess.

Last edited:

mheat

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW, 03 JSW
Using zip ties, I found it pretty easy not to spill any oil from the filter change. A couple of drops missed the catch can. Nothing in the way of the oil drip path from the filter drain.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
For that much money, I'd rather have a Triumph two Post lift like the NT-9. Yes, is is a hard install, but if you have a shop, or third/spare garage slot...much more for the money. OFF the ground and up in the air. Sweet!
Thanks for the tip on the triumph NT-9! That looks like a bargain. My uncle and I have been looking for an affordable lift to put in his garage- the nt-9 seems perfect.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
The quickjack is really convenient! With the car being level during an oil change, you won't have oil from the filter dripping against the engine block.

Lifts high enough to get a gearbox out!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
def a nice set up, sadly I know the expense proposal would get shut down from the budget administrator faster than I can say "507 DPF approved oil".

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
ive watched a bunch of times on Youtube.. Dont see what the fuss is...