Just about had enough

ctennyson

TDI
2010 Jetta
Ive been a long time VW owner but all these scandals and never ending issues are really wearing me thin.

My wife calls me today to tell me her 2010 Tiguan 120k is shaking violently while driving on the QEW in Mississauga. She pulls off the hwy and manages to make it home. She is obviously pissed as this could have been a bigger issue with my 10 month old in the back. Long story short it turns out to be misfiring and needs some ignition coils, even though I just replaced them 20k ago.

I've can't keep supporting VW when their cars don't support me. Thinking about trading in the tiguan for BMW X3 or something equivalent. Any recommendations for a reliable compact SUV ?

Cheers

lanorg

TDI
ALH, 11mm, vnt17, 1019, Jeep TJ @ 285km
Sorry to hear bud, but I don't have kind words to share with you. If you're expecting a lovey dovey experience, go buy an appliance (tesla, currently competing with mercedes for worst build quality) or hire Uber full time. VAG diesels are not the only ones having troubles with California EPA standards.

An SUV is a dangerous word my friend, it means higher priced unibody car. Van is taboo. Why don't you step into a comfortably reliable Lexus/Toyota (#1 & 2 initial quality auto assembler), a nice big suburban or explorer (real trucks - body on frame) or perhaps a reasonably priced fiat cherokee (the only selling model on the dodge dart/chrysler 200/fiat giulietta platforms)? I hear the cherokees have some great software patches to turn their 9 speed transmission into an 8 speed that it replaced... That is if you travel >130kph you get an 8th gear. Let's call it a 7...

If you buy german, you buy into the high maintenance shenanigans and other comical price gouging that runs rampant among auto assemblers today. Mercedes has the absolute best initial quality metrics (last place) - and it's not an accident. They are playing the leasing game and people wonder how a $125k+ E/S klasse can be 20-30 grand now with 75-100,000km on it and being 5 years old. Education comes quickly with experience. It's easy to push lessees back into a newer model that way.

The phrase, "they don't build em like they used to", has never been truer. Do your research before getting into a vehicle you're not comfortable maintaining. Lemons happen. Your coil packs are a joke to replace (if you've changed a diaper once, that's worse but less time consuming). Put your balls to good use and pop your own hood for once. The scandals have no bearing on you personally. Get an aftermarket tune and find the real power within your TDI. If we truly cared about the environment, we'd be living in teepees.
Youtube, this site, and princess auto are your man-friends. Check out VW The Source for used parts and stop getting your re-ups at the stealership - if you haven't learned the game, you haven't been paying attention.

Wish I had something nicer to say but I own 3 VAG engines, with one in a jeep. None of them play nice but they are all good at something. Picture a triangle. At each corner are the following: Performance, Reliability, Cost. No matter what you buy, one of those will be sacrificed. Draw it if you have to and do some real research before you guzzle the BS website marketing. I hear Mazda has a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Was there a check engine light on before the coil(s) failed completely and caused the shaking? pretty common for a cel to set prior as the resistance in the coil starts to go out of spec.

No uncommon for coils to need to be replaced as part of regular maintenance.

Do a search on BMW engine reliability... grass isn't always greener on the other side.

TQOOOO

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI DSG & 2008 E320 Bluetec
Thinking about trading in the tiguan for BMW X3 or something equivalent. Any recommendations for a reliable compact SUV
There is no such thing as reliable german suv. If you want RELIABLE car buy Toyota RAV4 or Honda CR-V.
It is hard to believe multiple coils suddenly failing at the same time, you probably had check engine light on due to misfire before that :)

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
The coils you replaced 20K ago, were they real coils, or Kmart coils? We see lots of coil failures on all imports, not just VW, and the only coils that have any longevity at all are factory originals.

I recommend new plugs at the same time and the same rule applies there, factory original brand and number, not an upgrage(?) to Irridium or super platinum or whatever is the new talk of the town.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
We were happy with everything about our 07 CR-V except for mileage. IIRC, it only got about 15 in city traffic. It would pop up to mid 20s on the highway. Compared to the 07 Tiguan, the CR-V had more comfortable front seats, the rear seats would recline a few inches, there was more cargo room behind the rear seats, it took regular, and it was about $5000 US less. I think it has less than 40k miles on it when we turned it in for the Golf, so no idea on long term issues. However, the tires were already shot and I think they were around $150 US a piece to replace.

drew80a

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 TDI
Change the coils and plugs. Cheap fix.
I remember always having to carry spares in the early 1.8t MK4 days they failed so often. The newest versions of the coils I've had zero misfires or failures.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
If you want a bigger headache, get that BMW. :) Coils fail all the time but engines usually give you a notice when things are about to go bad too. Did she disregard the signs?

derek5120

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta GLS
I work on domestic and imports 5 days a week as a licensed tech. IMO Toyota makes the best suv, however don't go buy their oil change intervals or you'll have an oil burner on your hands. If you want good mileage still, look at the hybrids. I've never touch a hybrid component on a Toyota and we have a few customers approaching over 300,000km. Don't look at anything with a Chrysler affiliation.

ctennyson

TDI
2010 Jetta
Some great responses !!

I replaced the coils with OEM VW coils ! Yes there was CEL on prior so probably my mistake for not scanning the car originally.

I like the VW brand, I guess I am expecting more.

03ALHWagon

TDI
2003 ALH Wagon (sold)
Did you get it scanned? Are you sure it was the coils? We are doing quite a few injectors actually and not coils on Tiguans. Plus I think extended warranty on Tiguans for injectors but I would need a VIN to verify.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
There is no such thing as reliable german suv. If you want RELIABLE car buy Toyota RAV4 or Honda CR-V.
It is hard to believe multiple coils suddenly failing at the same time, you probably had check engine light on due to misfire before that :)
yah i dont think i agree at all....be it not cheap the touareg is a SOLID machine with lots of planning and time into making it a great rig.

Aside from the emission junk that happens to fall off quite easy these things are bullet proof....im 50k in and have done nothing short of fluids and filters. It is a total animal power wise, pulls like a bulldozer....Just amazing suv, once you drive or own one you just cant understand why youd buy any other suv theres just something about it

TQOOOO

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI DSG & 2008 E320 Bluetec
.im 50k in and have done nothing short of fluids and filters
wait till 150k - this is when you'll start having expensive issues
and by 250k you'll promise yourself to never buy VW again.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
What about the V90 Volvo (after Ford, that is)?

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
wait till 150k - this is when you'll start having expensive issues
and by 250k you'll promise yourself to never buy VW again.
It already has 150k on it.....Have you owned one or is this just i heard from a buddies friends uncles sister? As i frequent many touareg forums im not sure where you get your data from..but aside from adblue issues the t3+ touaregs are solid, reliable and damn capable...seeing mine doesnt use adblue i dont see any issues in my near future. Then again what would i know its not like i own one and have researched them for the last 4 years before i bought one after my 2 jettas

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
I work on domestic and imports 5 days a week as a licensed tech. IMO Toyota makes the best suv, however don't go buy their oil change intervals or you'll have an oil burner on your hands. If you want good mileage still, look at the hybrids. I've never touch a hybrid component on a Toyota and we have a few customers approaching over 300,000km. Don't look at anything with a Chrysler affiliation.
So how about the Siennas and the Highlanders? That's what I'm looking at. Hybrid Highlander is not in my budget though unfortunately. How frequently do you recommend changing their oil?

ctennyson

TDI
2010 Jetta
well well well....

Its a new week and new issues with the Tiguan.

Solid red light on the dash for the steering wheel icon. Popped the hood and noticed what looks like a mouse nest underneath the drivers side headlight.

The mice seem to have setup shop there for the Winter, since my wife is on maternity leave.

And I am cursing VW..... when I should be cursing the mice... :eek:

bbarbulo

Veteran Member
You aren't really on the right site to get good advice here.

Go through the FAQ's on some of the other sites and see how many 'how-tos' there are. When there is a how-to for everything, it's time to move along. When the how-tos are for stuff like... change cabin filter and reprogram keyless entry... and that's all... buy that.

Me, I've owned and will continue to own primarily Hondas. I have warmed up to Hyundai too, I think they offer good value. Would rather walk than own Mazdas. I have owned two Nissans, pretty nice but nothing to rave about. Have never owned Toyota, but I would absolutely, no question. Not as refined as Honda, but I would have no problem having one.

Domestics, I like GM out of the lot. They have their issues, but generally pretty decent. Nice styling, well optioned, well priced. I've owned Ford and Chrysler, save for a few select cars, I don't think I'd care to own any more. Just as toys... like I could see myself in a Marauder or Crown Vic perhaps as a play car. But I wouldn't seriously own it as a driver.

I think Volvo has incredibly good cars. Quietly understated, very respectable cars. No Jags, I've shopped them and didn't like what I saw/felt.

WrEkkED

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 TDI Sport
Wife has a rogue, great car. The awd is amazing. Test drove it and a crv back to back in a snowstorm, crv the back wheels never kicked in. Turn off the traction control in the rogue and you will fly with the back end out to the side while still driving straight. Fuel economy is really good. I get 9l/100 combined and I have a heavy foot.

Friends have a highlander and they love it. Pull a 21' bowrider with it all the time. Neither cars have ever had any issue. But Bose sound system in the rogue is way better. I actually even get all my work done at the dealer as the prices are good. No dealer fees either in ajax when buying.

Another friend has the volvo XC90, amazing suv but your now in a totally different price range. Car is horrible on fuel but well worth it in my opinion. Thing flies.

Last edited: