Jurid brake pads

vwman2

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon Tdi, 2010 Golf TDI
Hello all,
Recently did a full brake job on my wife's 2010 golf tdi with Jurid pads and they are squeaky dusty buggers. Anyone have these pads? I thought I was making a good choice being one of the oem suppliers.
Your thoughts
Thanks
Jamie

autoxerwgn

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI DSG, 2006 TDI (Sold)
Working in a shop for a living, I can tell you that just because a part is made by a OE supplier, does not mean it is the same as OEM most of the time. I haven't been able to find anything in print that says so, but you can get Jurid and Textar pads (for example) and they do not match the factory parts exactly. Even if they are visually identical, there is no way to know if the compound is the same. One of the best examples I can think of is with a BMW. If you get a OE radiator or expansion tank for something like a 97 328i or 528i, it comes out of the box as a Behr part that is usually made in Germany. If you order a "OE Supplier" or Behr aftermarket part, sometimes it is the same exact part, but with the BMW emblem removed (sanded) off of the part. Other times, the part looks the same, but is made in China and tends to not to last.

If you are willing to take the chance and save a little money, the OE supplier parts work OK most of the time. If you want the same performance as OEM parts gave you, only OEM replacement parts will guarantee the same performance again.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Pads will be dusty and squeaky during the brake in process. If you've had them on the car for a week or so you may want to try to bed in the brakes...

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=85
http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

Quick steps that I personally use to bed in brakes...
You're going to need to find a open smooth road that is lightly traveled. You may need to do this at night if you can't find a lightly traveled road during the day. Try to find a road with no one around as well, you don't want to get the attention of "driving erratically" by the wrong folks....
-Get the car up to 35-40mph and get on the brakes HARD but DO NOT engage ABS. You want to go to the point shortly before ABS engages. Also DO NOT come to a complete stop at any point in this process of bedding in the brakes (if someone/something jumps out in front of you, then by all means STOP).
-Repeat the 35-15mph stops 3-4 more times. This will get the brakes up to temp and ready for the second part of the bed in...
-Get up to 50MPH after the last 35-15mph.
-Again HARD on the brakes from 50-15MPH 5-7 times or when you get a good amount of brake fade (when the brakes start to feel spongy and don't have the same stopping power they normally would)

You're likely going to smell that "brakes are burning" smell and may even see some smoke coming from the brakes... unless you have to for safety reasons (avoid accident, bad timing on a stop light or something jumps in front of the car) DO NOT STOP the car at this point. If you do you could melt part of the pad to the disc face which will cause vibrations when braking.

Continue to drive your car for 15 minutes at 35-50mph (speed limit depending) using the brakes as little as possible to cool the brakes down.

Video demonstrating how to do this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd_PtFJW3_g

This should help with the squeaking and may also help with the excess dust.

autoxerwgn

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI DSG, 2006 TDI (Sold)
The only kind of pads that I have ever "needed" to bed in were track pads. I would be surprised if it did anything to improve the squeeking or the dust. I would think that the pad material and how quickly it wears would be the main contributor to the dust, not the bed in process.

Did you replace or resurface the rotors when you installed the pads? If you did not, that could also be a common cause of noise. I have used Akebono Euro Ceramic pads on other people's cars before with decent results. They do produce a lot less dust, and the dust is much lighter in color. They also tend to last quite a bit longer. I do not use them on my personal car because I feel that they don't provide the initial bite or full stopping power during hard braking that the OE pads do. For normal drivers that do not drive quickly or aggressively, you won't notice much of a difference (if any). Might be worth a try if you are looking to avoid the brake dust.

vwman2

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon Tdi, 2010 Golf TDI
i was driving her car around yesterday and and these pads seem to get louder as they heat up. Im thinking I need to swap these out.
rotors are new Brembo upfront and Zimmerman in the rear.