Junkyard 1.9 AAZ - how'd i do?

torquefoot

Veteran Member
TDI
1990 Jetta 1.6TD
These are becoming hard to find so i thought id pull one i thought was in good shape. The head cleaned up super easy, almost as if it had been worked on before it was parked. Pistons and mating surface as well. Car didn't appear to have any accident damage but body was pretty soft all over. I got all accessories except AC comp...fuel system components, including pump bracket, were already spoken for.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Gonna make a great apocalypse car. What're you putting it in?

You in Canada? Didn't hear about many AAZs making it into the US...

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
If you’re happy with what you paid and what you’ll need, you did fine. Oddly enough these old IDIs sell for more than the early TDIs.

When I bought my AAZ, it was a stripped long lock that was partially disassembled. Still running it with 1.6 injectors and pump, but I did install some TDI parts in the pump. I’ve been running NA, since I’m too lazy to bolt on a turbo, but it does fine.

-Todd

torquefoot

Veteran Member
TDI
1990 Jetta 1.6TD
Gonna make a great apocalypse car. What're you putting it in?

You in Canada? Didn't hear about many AAZs making it into the US...
There's an 86 golf NA for sale locally, nice little 2 door, kind of a brown burgundy. Pretty rotten underneath...if i get it cheap im going to practice my sheet metal skills and drop this motor into it...it will look rough im sure but should go like hell.

Yessir, y'all south of 49th folk did not get ANY aaz's as far as i know...I think its part of the reason they're so hot right now. A complete motor is 2000cdn+ up here, if you can find one.

torquefoot

Veteran Member
TDI
1990 Jetta 1.6TD
If you’re happy with what you paid and what you’ll need, you did fine. Oddly enough these old IDIs sell for more than the early TDIs.

When I bought my AAZ, it was a stripped long lock that was partially disassembled. Still running it with 1.6 injectors and pump, but I did install some TDI parts in the pump. I’ve been running NA, since I’m too lazy to bolt on a turbo, but it does fine.

-Todd
Interesting...my understanding is that the aaz injectors and pump are a dual stage system and run much higher pop pressures...something like 250bar vs 160on the 1.6TDs?

What did you do to your pump, if i might ask, and how did you know how to do it?

Get a turbo on there! These are probably the easiest motors to do turbo work on, plug and play. Im looking for a k14 or garrett t2 myself for this motor.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
You can always get the 1.6 injectors set to whatever pressure you need. From my understanding the 2nd stage is for emissions, and not required to get the car running… my truck has been running for 5 years with this engine setup.

I installed a TDI cam plate, head and rotor. I also used long eco-diesel delivery valves to use the AAZ hard lines. I felt it better to bend the lines down, rather than bending the lines up. I had a 1.6 line snap at the delivery valve. I’ve resealed many of these pumps, so the work to swap the parts isn’t really difficult.

I’ve got a few GT15s that I was planning to install. It’d mean getting involved with pop testing, plumbing an intercooler, playing with boost pins, etc… It’s easier to be lazy and not install, since it runs fine!

-Todd

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
IMHO "how you did" depends entirely on the condition of the crankshaft snout... arguably the weakest part of that engine and the place that almost always dooms 'em to the scrap heap when it suddenly lets go. :(

Second place goes to cracks between the valve seat and pre-combustion inserts:

torquefoot

Veteran Member
TDI
1990 Jetta 1.6TD
IMHO "how you did" depends entirely on the condition of the crankshaft snout... arguably the weakest part of that engine and the place that almost always dooms 'em to the scrap heap when it suddenly lets go. :(

Second place goes to cracks between the valve seat and pre-combustion inserts:

So i investigated this yesterday, hopefully gets a passing grade. Pics of the head as well.

I did, however, find a pretty decent nick in the top of the block, directly between cylinders 3 & 4. I found a seized bolt in one of the 'ears' on the rear pulley side thay holds the PS pump bracket that I tried to drill out very unsuccessfully...it is looking like i may be parting this motor out...

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I'd be interested in a photo of what you think is a problem 'nick' and what not, but based on what I see of the sprocket and the cylinder head Vince is right and you got a winner.

I'd be hard pressed to part that engine if I needed a AAZ.

Steve

alanack

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta
I noticed in my 98 (that blew the original ahu, swapped in a 96 1z) the Harmonic Balancer wobbles a little bit. I replaced it, and threw on a bunch of spare dampers/ Harmonic Balancers on. It still wobbles exactly the same.

I checked the bolts tightness against the engine in gear ( i dont think thats really enough) and its definitely not loose, but it may not be tight enough.

To be safe; I parked the car and ordered the counterhold tool, new gear, and the pinch bolt + associated timing belt junk.

What am I up against?

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
Those harmonic balancers are two pieces of metal held together by a rubber band. Sometimes the outer part walks off that rubber band and the result is the wobble you see. If you've replaced it with a known true part, then I think there is a nub on the crank sprocket that must match with the corresponding hole in the damper or it will be offset.

alanack

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta
I cleaned it really good with a brass wire wheel on a dremel. No change, that's why i suspect the crank gear is damaged.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I cleaned it really good with a brass wire wheel on a dremel. No change, that's why i suspect the crank gear is damaged.
You mean the crank sprocket? Could be, but usually it's the crank snout that ends up being damaged. The sprockets are still available new from VW or you can get one from other sources too I would guess, I think it's the same for ME/MF/1V engines too.

Steve

alanack

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta
Gear/sprocket. My car is a 1Z, supposedly they fixed the crank issue, but the gear can wear out still and cause timing issues, ect.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Gear/sprocket. My car is a 1Z, supposedly they fixed the crank issue, but the gear can wear out still and cause timing issues, ect.
If the sprocket is damaged then it should have been replaced, if it wobbles it can damage the timing belt or cause unusual wear that results in a break far earlier than it should.

Steve