June 4th & 5th AVL GTG

TurbineWhine

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Platinum Grey
Thanks to all who came. This was a really sweet event for me. I had lots of help with the organization of the event from Stuart and Blake Eng. They were your chefs. My wife Karen, who got the house ready for the 12 or so people that were with us over the weekend. Dan G who came up on Thursday and took care of getting me packed up so I could go bale my hay. I finally was able to get it up after 12 days on the ground.:D Robbie, Bruce B., Bruce (Paramedick) & Eric, TerryTDI who all did a huge amount of wrench turning. JimBote, you are the man. I will have to admit I was worried about you pulling the swap off.

I would like to offer a special thanks to Mike & Chad Griffin for again allowing us to use their awesome facility. There is none better.

Landon

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
Landon,and Chad, thank you so much for putting together ,and hoisting another great GTG.
Mr Griffin, thank you and Chad for providing an awsome facility.
I have recieved lots of help from many people over the years, and it feels great to be able to give back to others.
We are all blessed to have so much knowlege with Landon, Dan, Jeff, Bruce and Eric, Robbie, Bruce B., JimBote, and many others. There isn't much that can't get accomplished with that kind of talent.
Also thanks to Karen, Stu, and Blake for providing some great food.

Neil thanks for jumping in to help with Alan's project.

I'm already looking forward to the next GTG at Dan's

We'll see everybody at the next one.

Thanks to everybody,
Terry

dieselfueler

Veteran Member
TDI
04 PD100 Jetta Wagon
WOW,
this event was great from the food to the people who came to do work and to those who helped get it done. I alway learn so much at every GTG I attend and this one was no different.

I must say before anything else Jim Bote is the man. I and every one that was there got to witness a true mechanic at work. Jim did a auto to manual conversion on a Beetle in less than 12 hours. True an amazing piece of work considering there was the distraction of so many other cars being worked on. Jim it was a real treat to watch you work and to meet you again.

Food, fun, and fellowship is what all GTG's are about and there was plenty to be had this time. Chad and dad thank so very much for providing such a great facility for us to meet and work in. It was great to see old friends and make new ones.

Special shout out to Heather who recently join the TDI ranks and didn't get the best of news about her car as we discovered it had a turbo that was not long for this world. Heather rolled with the punches worked out a deal and got a good used one installed at the GTG. I always hold a lot of respect for those who want to learn how to learn to wrench on their own car and dive in head first to turn wrenches. I hope thing work out with your car Heather and hope to see you at the next GTG. You earned alot of compliments and the respect of a lot of veteran GTG wrenchers who will always help you.

Lastly thank you to Karen and Landon who opened their beautiful home to a bunch of oily, greasy, smelly guys to clean up and sleep. You all truly showed us that special southern hospitality that words can't describe. I feel honored to call you all friends. Thank you again.

MKIInut

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon Spice Red
Michelle how is driving 101 going? Hope you are loving your Beetle even more now with the 5 speed.

MichelleRoze

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle
MKIInut said:
Michelle how is driving 101 going? Hope you are loving your Beetle even more now with the 5 speed.
lol well I can move the car now. I need to find a nice large vacant parking lot and just practice over and over and over. I have it down...I think...but turning into traffic and hills are kinda scary still. I reminds me a lot of when I first started driving...10mph was the scariest speed EVER! Now I don't even think I can go that slow. Matt is being a great help and taking me to work this week until I"m comfortable enough to drive myself. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't stop and go, one lane, hilly, and well...crazy drivers! lol I'll get it though. I'm already having fun shifting....wait until I get it down and take off in it!

MichelleRoze

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle
dieselfueler said:
Michelle,

You will really like the increase in mileage......
I'm looking forward to that. Since I filled up prior to the GtG and then Jim did the install...I forgot to mark down the mileage before he pulled the battery :( So I guess I won't track this tank. But next one. I've been sitting at about a quarter of a tank since the GtG. So I guess that's a good sign! lol

seekthejoy

TDI
2002 Jetta
Thanks Bruce. I've already made an appointment to get a new "free-flowing" pipe put on in Asheville (Mason Muffler) this Thursday. 2.5" pipe, front to back, installed with muffler $210 or $220. I would have had to wait a few weeks for 3" pipe and decided I'd let the dudes in my town be the noisy ones! Thanks again for all of your help. I told my paramedic buddy about the trauma scissors in your toolbox, and that you're equally skilled with vehicles as you are with humans. What a great fix-it man!

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Michelle, thats why I use Odometer mileage on my Fuelly, and not trip meter mileage.. Odometter mileage doest change when the battery gets removed. :)

ATLSilverTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Special Edition Jetta - Silver
Missed the AVL GTG - Turbo issues.

Darn, I missed this event, I really liked coming up to this, for some reason I thought it was on the 12th.

Now I am in need of help, It sounds like either my actuator or the vanes on my turbo are stuck, I am not getting full power and getting smoke.

I got emissions workshop last night when this all started happening.

I need to find a local guru to go to, to see what is going on? Anyone have any ideas. I need to get it on VCDS, I dont have my own yet.
John.

ATLSilverTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Special Edition Jetta - Silver
EGR/Boost Leak

Dan,

I am suspecting a boost leak, hearing some whirring that isnt/wasnt normal. I will see if I can find Troy or Roger, both names I know, and I think I met them a few years back. I had the EGR issue last year.

Thanks for the advice, just frustrated right now.
John.

fnord

TDI
2002 Golf TDI 115K
Really sad I had to miss this one. Girlfriend had a stomach bug and I felt bad leaving her to be miserable. I just noticed there's another in SC coming up in a few months. If I don't figure out my AC troubles by then, I'll have something to put on the list DanG!

MichelleRoze

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle
Growler said:
Michelle, thats why I use Odometer mileage on my Fuelly, and not trip meter mileage.. Odometter mileage doest change when the battery gets removed. :)
Hmm...should have thought of that! lol

Well, since the swap my trip odometer was reset. So since leaving Asheville, I was able to go 473.9 miles before needing to fill up. And If I am correct....there was a little under a half a tank when I left Asheville. So that's darn near 50mpg. But I filled up yesterday and we'll see how long that tank of diesel lasts...I'm hoping even with combined city and hwy and stop and go crappy Atlanta traffic, I hope to still get around 42/45mpg.....sound reasonable?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
thanks to Landon for putting this all together, lots of folks (including myself) are grateful to you and Karen for being over the top hosts, putting up with greasy sweaty guests, and making great coffee,...these are truly good good hosts!!! thanks Dan for cleaning and lubing the starter, and Charlie for hanging out and providing some key parts for the swap, and to all others who stopped by to muse and chat....looking forward to the next GTG where I won't be so "committed" ;)

goTDIcandy

Veteran Member
TDI
white 05 Golf
Thank you

This is a really late thank you to Landon & Chad for hosting another great TDI getogether. We had fun meeting some new faces, seeing some known faces again too.
Stu thanks for bbqing a great veggie burger and hot dogs.... They were delicious!
Hope to see you again ....
Kristina & Dean

spdracr0

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Silver Jetta
I would like to extend my sincere gratitute to Landon and Mrs Karen for there more than generous treatment tom myself and others. It is not often you will find people who will take you into their home and treat you like extended family. Also thanks to everyone who put on this show it is very appreciated.

ITSPREZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 5spd
Missed my first SE GTG

Sorry I missed it Landon. This was supposed to be my first GTG with you all since moving to SC and leaving behind my friends at www.CinciTDI.com (sniffle). Unfortunately, my always rock solid 2001 Jetta decided to die as I was heading your way! Prognosis does not look good... I will be in touch as this is above my pay grade.