June 4th & 5th AVL GTG

k45

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta
I will be in the morning. I would enjoy getting some help to buff out my top (the price of owning a black car) it is nice not to do anything major on the car. Just need an extra ear to hear my belt sounding kinds funny and a scan and I should be set. See yall in the AM.

saucer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE
Local here - just wanted to say hey to all!

Not sure if I can make the meet tomorrow but I'm srsly looking into a 2010 Golf TDI. I'm a bit bummed to find out I can't run on BD100 or VO but it would be nice to get 40-50mpg.

What time are people getting together? Is this alot of the same crew from Vortex?

laundryeater

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '15 Golf SW
saucer said:
What time are people getting together? Is this alot of the same crew from Vortex?
On Saturday things usually start to fire up around 7 to 8 AM. The group's usually there well into the afternoon and some of the ones with hair on their chests stay late into the night. It's a whole lot of fun and you get to see some great people and some really cool cars. I can't say the crew is like Vortex- IMHO we're a little more nerdy and overall aren't as worried about the way our cars look vs. how they're running!

saucer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE
7 or 8 am! You guys must be old farts :p (31 here so I can't say much)

I'll see if I can make it out for a sec if it's open invitation. Maybe by 9... Have to work 10am-9pm on Saturdays.

Maybe someone can talk me into a new TDI :D

Last edited:

valvecrusher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat, '00 Jetta
abakos said:
Airwolf and I are meeting at McD's off I-40 Exit 398 tomorrow morning at 6:30. Anyone else rolling from this direction is welcome to join.
The west bound Hickory area caravan is meeting on:

I40-W, off exit 119,
at Bojangles at
6:45am

leaving around 7:05am....

Everyone is welcome
See ya there, woooo

Last edited:

beetle98

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle TDi
saucer, Yea it is an open invitation to all.

Well the shop is closed for the night and we will be back at 8am in the am. chad

k45

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta
valvecrusher said:
The west bound Hickory area caravan is meeting on:

I40-W, off exit 119,
at Bojangles at
6:45am

leaving around 7:05am....

Everyone is welcome
See ya there, woooo
I can probably meet yall there.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I think the target time is 8 am.

We left tonight at 730 pm or so.

Unless someone is on their phone service there is no interntet at the site. So phoning in questions is your best bet.

Drop on by tomorrow morning or afternoon.

For a "light Friday" we stayed busy all day long.

Stevestyle67

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI; 1972 Chevelle (Malibu) Convertible
Got some sort of stomach bug early friday morning and I'm just now feeling better. Hope you guys have fun and I'll see you at the next one.

abakos

Veteran Member
TDI
-----
Stevestyle67 said:
Got some sort of stomach bug early friday morning and I'm just now feeling better. Hope you guys have fun and I'll see you at the next one.
Just got home- Thanks to Landon and the gang for putting together a great GTG!! Got to see some old faces and some new ones, but definitely worth the trip :)

A number of people were asking about brake pads. I've been very pleased with:
http://www.hawkperformance.com/performance/hps.php

and Justin was putting these on his A4 when he did the upgrade today. Excellent stopping power, long life, and low dust. Hard to beat.

Also I40 west may be open, but the detours are still faster. I lost an hour with the stop and go. For those that may benefit from the information-

TDIGirl

Veteran Member
TDI
--
It was great meeting you folks today and seeing so many wagons represented :) And many thanks to Chad and Lew for getting my turn signal fixed. Hope to see y'all again soon!

--betsy

hazetguy

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, 5 speed
Cora and i had a good time, even though she slept most of the time. ha! it was her 3rd car show already, and she's only been with us for 3 months. nice seeing some people i knew, and nice meeting a few new folks. thanks to the people who cooked the food, it was really good. when Lindsay and I (and Cora of course) went back later in the afternoon, the crowd had thinned out, but there were still several people working hard on their projects. we all had a good time.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Home a few minutes ago. Yup, lost 1+ hours on I40 West parking lot due to the inconsiderate asses that ignored the merge signs. :mad:

Thanks to the Grindstaffs for the hospitality. Chad, great site as always and thanks for sharing it.

Kevin and Bruce

lrpavlo

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG, 02 NB Auto
Wow! Thankx for such a great time!!! Dieselheads are the same in the south as the Midwest I guess....Certainly lots of talented folks were there!

Special Thanks to TDI Girl....Great to see you again!!

We left at 11am hoping to make it home to Cocoa around dark....yeah right an hour and a half parking lot on 26 then some real slow downs do to down pours made it more like an 11 hour trip!

But I was in serious need of a diesel fix and the newly retired wife was very patient!! So thank you all! Wonderful to meet you!
Lew & Renae

Dankcorey22

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 ALH & 83 1.6 TD CY
!

Got home about an hour ago with out any tickets :cool:

It was nice meeting everyone! The tdi family is some pretty cool and unique people!

Thank you Chad for a great place for a GTG, and thank everyone who made the great food with those amazing chicken finger things:D

I like my tune pretty good but i still need to do some tinkering to get it perfect... Then it will run like a bat outta hell!!!

Thanks again everyone,
Corey B.

MichelleRoze

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle
Just made it home from Asheville. The swap went great!!! Thanks again Jim, new record for ya. 5 speed swap in 12 hours on a BEETLE!!!

Though it took me a bit to get used to the new clutch driving style, I did eventually get it...though not without stalling .. often. So I let Jack drive it home...just to be on the safe side. I'll do some more driving Sunday and Monday and I honestly believe I will have it by then.

Thanks to EVERYONE!!! Asheville is such a great GtG. Thank you Landon for allowing Matt and I a place to crash EARLY Saturday morning. lol Sorry we missed the fun Friday.

Thanks Jim for the great job on the swap. I know it was hard work and I wish I could have helped, but I guess staying out of the way did help ;) Even though I can't drive it well now...I will in the future. And I"ll have a few more beetles headed your way!!! :)

Thanks to Charlie, Dan, Robbie, ... well and everyone. Getting to know new people, getting help from gurus, that's what makes this a great GtG!!! I appreciate all the help and interest from everyone. I couldn't have done it without ya!!!!

Off to bed now. Gotta rest up so I can practice driving again tomorrow....:cool:

sesalz

TDI
2004 Jetta, 2005 Passat Wagon
Mel and I had a great time hanging out in Asheville and meeting the gang. I believe this weekend has inspired me to do a little more of my own work (but not that B5 chain quite yet). Thanks for all the help. Special thanks to: Landon - parts & tools, Wade - AT fluid and Dan - VCDS. I'll get Mel to post some pics. Looking forward to the next gathering. Hope it doesn't snow!

Scott

ncroadwarrior

Veteran Member
TDI
04 JSW bew
as always, good GTG
thanks Landon , we really appreciate your efforts for the TDI community...

good to see old faces, and meet new one's...

as always I feel like I learned more than I contributed but it sure felt good to help out on some projects...

glad everyone seemed to get home safe and that our cars are safe from the dealerships for another 6 months or so.

MKIInut

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon Spice Red
We got home around 0115 since we didn't leave AVL until about 8pm. We had to hit the Tastee Freeze cruise in too. We were able to go to three differnet car events in 36 hours.
We had a great time seeing old friends meeting new as well as the great food supplied by Landon, Karen and Stu the chef. That chicken was a killer!! Thanks for a Great GTG for everyone involved.
Although I didn't get my hands diirty this time I learned alot by watching Eric do suspension work, Bruce on the turbo and those 11.3 brake rotor change. Jim you are the tranny swap god. Cool engine tranny hoist as well. Hope to see everyone at the next GTG.

Marinel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I had a great time at the gtg it was nice meeting everyone. I would have liked to stay for saturday also but I had to be at work. I never got to work on my own car I was busy all day polishing everyones headlights but it's all good. I'm looking forward to the next one.

Last edited:

parkair

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2001 silver
Very Nice

Got home safely from the very long ride back. I will never drive back at night again. Too many close calls with sleepiness and troopers hiding around every turn, especially in Georgia.

Thanks to Landon and Karen. Their hospitality is top notch. The GTG was a great time. Lots of useful knowledge. Everyone of the TDI core guys are great. Nice meeting everyone new and everyone from previous GTGs. Thanks also to Jeff for another great tune.

Beautiful area in Asheville. But the roads are so much fun to drive that I would kill myself eventually.

Thanks all,

Mike

campingalan

TDI
05 Passat Wagon TDI
Left the GTG at about 2030 or 2100 last night. Had to economically stimulate the Asheville Dairy Queen industry before leaving town. Got home to Carthage, NC at about 0130 this morning.

What a great time!! Thank you to Landon for orchestrating everything and to Chad (who I don't think I got to meet) for the facility usage.

Also....thanks to Landon, Bruce, Dan, and Robbie for their roving exertise throughout the gathering. And, though I didn't get the names, thank you also to the support folks running the food service. And..thanks to every other behind the scenes person that had something to do with facilitating this event.

A big thank you to Neil and Terry for their assistance with my turn signal control unit repair that required the removal of the airbag and steering wheel in order to gain access to the signal control unit. Thank you to Dan for the computer error code resetting and overall system baseline checks.

It was great to meet everybody and watch some mechanical exertise in action !

laundryeater

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf, '15 Golf SW
Man I'm upset I missed this one... especially because I stood around at work from 1 to 5 with my thumb up my a$$ before I could do my job because inventory was behind schedule! Could have... would have... Oh well. I'm glad you guys had a great time and I really hope things work out for me on the next time around.

66gasgrill

TDI
2000 MKIV
Hey guys, it was great to meet all of you. A big thank you to Landon for hosting and chad for allowing us to use his shop, thanks guys. The brake swap went great. I may have to bleed them again, but they stop great. I couldn't be more pleased. I owe a Big thank you to Abakos, he jumped right in and helped me with the whole swap. Thanks man I couldn't have done it without you. Also a big thanks to Landon, Dan, and Robbie for there help tools and expertiese. Thanks again hope to see ya at the next GTG. maybe I'll have mine as clen as Terry's :D

Oh here's a couple pics of the finished product.

03PlatinumTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Diesel Free after 14 years
Big Thanks to Landon for hosting and to Dan, Robbie, Dean, and many others who helped me get the PD Lift Pump installed. I couldn't have done it with out you.
It was great meeting and talking to a bunch of the other TDI folks and I look forward to the next GTG. Hope to see you all at the next one.
Pete
EDIT - For those that asked about that small black filter that I've attached to my CCV. I purchased it at Tractor Supply--> http://www.tractorsupply.com/agriculture-farming-ranching/agricultural-sprayers-spraying/sprayer-parts-accessories/sprayer-strainers/polypropylene-strainer-1-in-dia-50m-2114130

Last edited:

seekthejoy

TDI
2002 Jetta
Trusty Rusty

Huge thanks to Landon, Dan, Bruce, Robbie, Eric, and so many others for help with my turbo, intake, and EGR (oil splatter diversion mod). I felt very lucky to have so many people help me out. I left amazed and grateful for the amount of kindness, time, and expertise offered to help me with my Jetta (now aptly named "Rusty" by Bruce). I've been inspired to learn more about my great car and how to keep it running better (and cleaner-- sorry about the dirty engine :(). What an incredible group of knowledgable and thoughtful people! I was able to zip home (now with boost) to Brevard, and get enough grease off in time for the wedding. So many thanks for such a great gathering! -Heather