June 12th ny/nj/pa... Did you say PIGFEST? With ROCKETCHIP! and A BAND!! WooT!!

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
I'll try like hell to keep that weekend open.

I'll bring some beer, but I'll wait until there's a food thread before deciding on what else to bring.

pgenis

Veteran Member
TDI
JETTA 2006
If anyone wants to do camping I recommend Stokes National Forest on the other side of the river along Rt 206 - great place. We usually go to Kittatinny Lake early Aug and stay there. There are some bears, but they all stand by the highway waiting for the hamburger give away. Don't feed the bears !

I do not know yet my time for that weekend, but will try to come. Do you start early? Like 9:00 or 10:00? I most likely can't stay for the evening and will have to leave by 14:00 or 16:00. Does Rocketchip tunes gassers? I am thinking about tuning my Passat and it is petrol fueled.

Last edited:

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
Ya he can do the gassers.. He's good with the 1.8T...

As far as the camping goes, there's plenty of room right here for camping.. I'd say there's room for at least 15-20 tents and whatnot..

oguzooz

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2012 JSW TDI
i hope i can make it out for this!!! i just got the invite from tdijetta99. mmmmmmmmmm

i might not be sportin a diesel anymore but i still love them. and i hope i see my old 99 golf running by then.

bigwoode

Veteran Member
TDI
Hunting - previous 2001.5 Jetta
I'd like to come down for this, my birthday is the 13th, but I will see whats happening that weekend

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
bigwoode said:
I'd like to come down for this, my birthday is the 13th, but I will see whats happening that weekend
Ahhh,you ARE still around-haven't heard from ya in awhile;) .... there are 3 tempting GTG's within a month-Impex,Whitbreads,and Jason's....decisions,decisions.... did you ever get the fuel bubble straightened out?

ch0psh0p

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 5spd 1.9l TDI Beetle, 2011 TDI JSW, 2dr TDI 5spd Golf
Looking forward to this. Don't know if I am going to get another tune though. I doubt I will be in shape for RC4.

tdiDerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta MkV Sedan; 2002 Jetta MkIV Sedan; 1999 Jetta MkIV Sedan
I should be able to make this one..

How will Rocketship run the tally? first come, 1st serve??

Joe TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
03, 00, 04 MK4 sedans.... 02 MK4 Wagon
tdiDerry said:
I should be able to make this one..

How will Rocketship run the tally? first come, 1st serve??
Yes.... get there early and get your name on the list that Jeff from RocketChip will put out once he is all set up and ready to tune.

TopherDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Spoke with Jeff of Rocketchip fame this morning to see what he suggested for clutches so I can be ready to put the power to the pavement when he is done with the tuning. Will be ordering up the VR6/G60 on Monday and will install likely on saturday. I'll be a month ahead of schedule but it'll give me a chance to put a good 2800 miles on it to break it in.

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 TDI tuned to 170HP, A6 Wagon 2008 TDI 2.7L tuned to 340HP
G60/VR6 is ok but some folks with RC5 are slipping. There are clutches almost same price closer to 400lb/ft. I would try to get 400lb/ft range clutch. Also make sure the TDC mark is on the new fly wheel when you install.

TopherDI said:
Spoke with Jeff of Rocketchip fame this morning to see what he suggested for clutches so I can be ready to put the power to the pavement when he is done with the tuning. Will be ordering up the VR6/G60 on Monday and will install likely on saturday. I'll be a month ahead of schedule but it'll give me a chance to put a good 2800 miles on it to break it in.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
eddie_1 said:
G60/VR6 is ok but some folks with RC5 are slipping. There are clutches almost same price closer to 400lb/ft. I would try to get 400lb/ft range clutch. Also make sure the TDC mark is on the new fly wheel when you install.
I've found the VR6/G60 setup for $325 when they are on sale.. The heavier duty clutches tend to be quite a bit more, but it some cases are definitely worth the extra $$... Sometimes you can score a nice clutch without a flywheel for around 350-400, then get a G60 flywheel from autozone for $60 and put it all together, or find a used G60 or AHU/1Z flywheel and have it resurfaced..

I actually have 2 cars with the VR6/G60... My 99, which has aver 80k on the clutch, and it never slips.. I also just picked up a Golf with a vr6/g60 and RC4, PP502's, 10mm pump, 17/22, and it does slip a little full throttle.. The Jetta has a LOT more power than the golf and it doesn't slip at all with the same clutch... weird stuff...

Geoxp

Veteran Member
TDI
several and counting
Count me in. If my boys are around , we`ll roll 3 TDI`s. Always a good time, Sammy is a great guy. Joe makes some good eats. Jason, need bonfire material this year?

TopherDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
TDIJetta99 said:
I've found the VR6/G60 setup for $325 when they are on sale.. The heavier duty clutches tend to be quite a bit more, but it some cases are definitely worth the extra $$... Sometimes you can score a nice clutch without a flywheel for around 350-400, then get a G60 flywheel from autozone for $60 and put it all together, or find a used G60 or AHU/1Z flywheel and have it resurfaced..

I actually have 2 cars with the VR6/G60... My 99, which has aver 80k on the clutch, and it never slips.. I also just picked up a Golf with a vr6/g60 and RC4, PP502's, 10mm pump, 17/22, and it does slip a little full throttle.. The Jetta has a LOT more power than the golf and it doesn't slip at all with the same clutch... weird stuff...
Yeah, have seen and heard all the stories - I'm going to go with Jeff and your experience with this one. Jeff said that likely most of the VR6 setups that are slipping probably have some leakage from the rear main seal that the non-metalic clutch material soaks up and causes the slippage so a new rear main will be part of the clutch installation.

I'm not building a monster, and the 300 ft/lbs should be sufficient for my current setup plus RC3, and still give me a little room for a bigger turbo - should the stock one give up on me.

Why are the kit flywheels 2x the price of those at say Advance?

TopherDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Ended up with the DC Stage I, as described to me it is basicly the VR6 clutch with a hardened pressure plate - gets to the 357 ft/lb mark which should be plenty. More importandly I'll have it in on Saturday, and will be ready for my tune at the GTG.

TopherDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
DC Stage I clutch with new balanced flywheel is in - long day under the car today, but worth it. Turns out that the throwout bearing on the original clutch setup was broke and causing the front passenger wheel to hop on low RPM launch, bad deal!

No more hop and way better power transfer.

dadsdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 NB TDI
Man...I am withing striking distance of Impexfest, and also this GTG.

Had to work that Saturday of Impexfest.

Just looked at my calendar - have to work the 12th.

Worst part is, I will be going by you guys at 70mph with a trailer full of mail at ~1:00pm.....

If I hit my air horn while going across the bridge on I84, you'll probably hear me!

If only I could stop..........

ofhs93

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL, 99.5, Silver
DD...maybe you could take a break on the way back through....I'm certain the party will carry well into the night ;) The GTG location is probably less than 3 miles from the last PA exit on 84. If you were able to make a hard right just at the bottom of the long hill after the Milford exit you would be 1/4 mile from it :)

dadsdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 NB TDI
ofhs93 said:
DD...maybe you could take a break on the way back through....I'm certain the party will carry well into the night ;) The GTG location is probably less than 3 miles from the last PA exit on 84. If you were able to make a hard right just at the bottom of the long hill after the Milford exit you would be 1/4 mile from it :)
Thanks for the offer, but I am on a timed run (US Mail) and can't stop.

I will be coming out of Springfield Ma at 10am - I will be looking for all the TDI's heading west on I84 from Hartford to Port Jervis.

Look for the big white tractor-trailer with huge letters on the back door (US MAIL) (also says Beam Brothers) - beep your horn and wave as you pass me!

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
dadsdiesel said:
I will be coming out of Springfield Ma at 10am - I will be looking for all the TDI's heading west on I84 from Hartford to Port Jervis.
You won't see us. We'll be drafting in your rear blind spot.;)

F1 tuning

Vendor
TDI
Varios TDI
Hello Jason,
I have a proposal for all TDI Member
Lelt me know if you are interested.
Tonino Petrolo.

TDIJetta99 said:
title says it all.. same place as last time.. 10 minutes from where NY, NJ, and PA meet on the map..
Joe will be the grill master again, and his band Mazmyth will be playing some tunes...

We'll provide the grill, beer, tables, horseshoe pit, lots of space, and a big fire pit.. You guys bring everything else, lol.. There will be a contribution bucket again for those of you that don't know what to bring.. That worked out well last time. every little bit is much appreciated..

there will be plenty of room for camping, everyone is welcome to stay the night..

Here's where it is.. 41.334184,-74.76612

6 georgi circle, milford, pa 18337

SATURDAY JUNE 12TH

Rocketchip is confirmed!!

So who's in?