jump start (boost) question

Kluster

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2003
Anything special I should know about boosting my TDI? (2003). The battery is was changed in Dec 2007 and the car has 65KKm. Couldn't get it to start this morning and tried again at 11h00 and failed. The battery deffinitively dosen't have enough power.

PS: I did a search but too many result with boost (turbo).

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Just boost it,make sure you put the "neg" on the chassis and not the battery itself,if anything happens fuses will protect rather than the battery taking a hit!

pawel

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 TDI 6 MT, Platinum Gray Metallic, Anthracite Interior
Kluster said:
Anything special I should know about boosting my TDI? (2003). The battery is was changed in Dec 2007 and the car has 65KKm. Couldn't get it to start this morning and tried again at 11h00 and failed. The battery deffinitively dosen't have enough power.

PS: I did a search but too many result with boost (turbo).
The procedure is the same as in a gas powered vehicle. Connect the both pluses to both battery terminals, connect the negative to the good battery terminal and finally connect the negative to chassis of the vehicle with dead battery. never connect negative to dead battery negative terminal. sometimes voltage spikes may fry voltage regulators and other components.

and no, diesel with a manual will not start like a manual gasser. :D

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Try adding PowerService to your tank(white bottle)don't be afraid to mix genrously,and fill your tank for tommorow,it'll be cold again tonight

http://www.powerservice.ca/

Last edited:

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
How's your starter,has it been making funny noises lately?
I had mine replaced this week and it made a huge difference in terms of rotating speed,the old one was really weak.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
pawel said:
and no, diesel with a manual will not start like a manual gasser. :D
What do you mean? Pop-starting? You can pop start a Diesel, you just need to have someone tow it for you while you sit in the car and drive it far enough for the cylinders to heat up. I had to do this with my '80 Audi 5000 when it startded having issues. A couple hundred yards at 15/20 mph in 3rd was usually what it would take. Also did this with a '85 Quantum TD that had a bad battery but was otherwise OK. The owner's manual for my 300SD even has instructions for pop starting it, and it's an automatic. Basically, tow the car at 25mph with the key on in neutral for a 5 minutes to build up pressure in the trans and then put the shifter in S.

Kluster

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2003
JASONP said:
How's your starter,has it been making funny noises lately?
I had mine replaced this week and it made a huge difference in terms of rotating speed,the old one was really weak.
I haven't notice any difference. It seems ok. This morning, it was slow...

pawel

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 TDI 6 MT, Platinum Gray Metallic, Anthracite Interior
MayorDJQ said:
What do you mean? Pop-starting? You can pop start a Diesel, you just need to have someone tow it for you while you sit in the car and drive it far enough for the cylinders to heat up. I had to do this with my '80 Audi 5000 when it startded having issues. A couple hundred yards at 15/20 mph in 3rd was usually what it would take. Also did this with a '85 Quantum TD that had a bad battery but was otherwise OK. The owner's manual for my 300SD even has instructions for pop starting it, and it's an automatic. Basically, tow the car at 25mph with the key on in neutral for a 5 minutes to build up pressure in the trans and then put the shifter in S.
I said "like" gasser... when i had to pop start my old volvo 4 speed manual, i didn't have to tow or push it for 150 yrads... it took only less than 50 feet

Kluster

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2003
w00t! Buddy of mine came over, boosted it and it started. Now, I'll let it idle for 30-45 min. I'll go for a little ride after that.

He lent me a car battery charger. I'll let it charge @ 2Amp overnight.

Nico3d3

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2001
It's from the dealer. Bought it in Dec 2007 at Volkswagen de l'Outaouais.
Did the samething last year, I bought an OEM battery from the dealer, it was the correct one (group 94R with 80ah of reserve) but I still got tons of problem starting it in the cold. I ended up changing the starter last winter but then came the next winter and the trouble started again. I decided to change it to a Carquest group 49 battery (1000 amp CA, 875 CCA) and now, it started even at -34C this morning.

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Uh... hmm... Well, none...
Kluster said:
It's from the dealer. Bought it in Dec 2007 at Volkswagen de l'Outaouais.
It's very odd, IMO, that what should be a brand new battery is having trouble starting the car. OE (Varta) batteries have a solid reputation, and should have no problem starting the car, even in this cold.

Maybe check the battery for a date of mfr; it's quite possible that it could have sat on a shelf for a while, since they are specific to the TDI, and expensive, so may not be a something they re-stock often.

If you have a warm-ish place to look at things, I'd also probably pull the battery and make sure the main connections (chassis and engine grounds, alternator, starter) are clean.

Stay warm... it's cold outside!

alloztome

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Green Jetta tdi RIP 2001 Silver Golf GLS
My new to me 01 Golf has been a sluggish starter since i got it. Yesterday it took 2 trys-today even with a jump/boost it wouldn't start. i suspect the new battery that was put in before i took posession.

I've heard that a diesel needs a little more "omph" to start so when it warms up -if it warms up- later I guess I'll be buying a new battery. Of course if I followed my own hunch about this earlier I wouldn't be here with a dead car now.

I also have to say that 2 of the 60 month batteries I bought from the dealer for previous cars each died at 6 months.

Last edited: