JSW Running Too Cool

tleader

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Any advice on this would be appreciated. Ever since I've had my vehicle and over the past 50k miles, my vehicle has always ran on the cool side. Should I start simple and replace the temp sensor first? Is that a legitimate option or could it possibly be a stuck thermostat? As you can see in the pic, it's pretty warm outside and I'm still not up to temp driving down the highway. I've only ever seen my temp gauge hit 190-195 and that was sitting in traffic for an extending period of time.

Any possible advice/solutions would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Assuming the temp indicator is accurate, replace the thermostat. If the thermostat is indeed bad and has been you will notice an uptick in mpg. If you were up north here this time of year it would not be unusual to see engine temps like that for maybe the first 10-20 miles or so depending on terrain and stop and go and outside temperature.

You could double check the temp with a cheap obd plugin that pairs to your phone off amazon or eBay, or you could hook up a vcds and check, just to be sure, but it looks to me like it's your thermostat.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Most likely the thermostat. Just look into what is involved in replacing it, as it isn't a quick and easy thing like it is on the older TDIs.

Some various methods get employed to get in there to replace them, but suffice to say there is a reason in is an almost 3 hour book labor time job.

tleader

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Thanks for the feedback. I have another thermostat waiting for when I have the time to make the swap. Might just wait until the timing belt is due and knock it out then.