JSW locking gas...um... diesel filler cover

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
O.K. I get dummy of the year award.

It has been an occasional fleeting though that something didn't seem right, but I obviously never finished thinking this thru until today.

Turn off key, get out, open (unlocked) fuel filler cover. Fill & shut. On your way.

In the past at random walk by, push in and walla, opens up! I kind of half though maybe its unlocked when the car is unlocked, maybe it wasn't shut all the way. Hhmmmm., what the.... squirrel! and off onto something else.

lock malfunctioning? some sort of shut off/bypass? What is the JSW protocol for when/how the filler cover locks??

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
What is the JSW protocol for when/how the filler cover locks??

Fuel door should be locked whenever the car is locked. The fuel door lock should work along with the other doors. Therefore the fuel door will be unlocked whenever all the other doors are unlocked.

Have Fun!

Don

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
the fuel door locks??? i never realised. i dont have the fuel door unlock on my car..

gurunutkins

TDI
2011 VW jetta sportwagon
when I lock my car the fuel door locks and when I unlock the car the fuel door unlocks. My wife's 2016 golf wagen is the same. I thought that was pretty standard on all modern cars - my landrover does the same thing
cheers
Barri

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
i had thought the door was always unlocked. interesting.... ive even thought of modifying the spout to accept the large nozzle.

mercdude

TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6SPD
Funny story: since the tdi gets amazing mpg, it took me a month or so before I had to fill up the first time. Pull up to a gas station and I couldn’t figure out how to open the fuel door... read the manual, hit unlock, still didn’t open. Hit the unlock again, it finally unlocks and let’s me open the door.

Fast forward, at some point the unlock wouldn’t work and I couldn’t open the fuel door. Had to pry it a bit, heard a pop, and now it is always unlocked. Fail. But I’m okay with that because it’s a faulty design... almost every other car with a manual cable has worked for YEARS without a single failure. Over designed/dumb design. Not something I’m willing to pay to be fixed because of the aforementioned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Thanks all for the input. Yeah thats always been my experiance on other cars, lock & unlock with the doors. Im glad it failed in the open rather than locked position.

Anyone think I can get some sort of CPO or warrenty coverage?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Thanks all for the input. Yeah thats always been my experiance on other cars, lock & unlock with the doors. Im glad it failed in the open rather than locked position.

being a cpo.. probably. have to go in and see. its not designed to be a wear part... so most-likely.

mercdude

TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6SPD

Mine was a cpo also and the dealer said it wasn’t covered. Hopefully I just had a crappy dealer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
could pull the surround then pull the lock. it needs to be cleaned and lubed. or you could just leave it out.

mercdude

TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6SPD
It's not that it won't open, it's that the lock doesn't release. I have to go through several rounds of unlocking/locking the car before it releases.
Same issue... and then at some point it stopped working altogether which necessitated a physical intervention and now it no longer locks at all. which is not great, but okay in my book.