JSW - Let's talk about Towing

DRVRFWND

TDI
2011 JSW TDI 6spd
So i have a 2011 JSW TDI 6spd

i have put coilovers on it, and run the Unitronic tune as well.

I was wondering if anyone has used this car to tow with? Spicifically towing a car, car dolly, trailers? Really, im confused why in North America the car isn't rated for towing, while in the UK it is?

I was thinking of getting a Westfalia tow bar, but really i want to see if i can tow with it before pulling the trigger.

Mostly i would want to tow my 1976 MK1 Golf on a small trailer behind me.

Cheers
Vic.

SomeJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI 6m
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=340092&page=2

So long as you take it easy... It should be possible, however you probably should not tow another car around all the time due to the extra wear; it is possible though. But small trailers and the sort are no problem (i pull around a small teardrop camper). Lots of threads on here about towing with the newer JSW and Golfs. It seems some manuals say no towing, while others have a rating. My is one that has a rating listed (2011 JSW 6spd, just like you). I think most of it has to do with different versions of the manuals and the legal guys not making up their minds.

Cheers,
J

vw_leadfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagen
You should have no issues with that setup. Depending on the distance and frequency of your towing, and the fact that you said you would be towing a relatively heavy load, I'd suggest trailer brakes too. Westfalia hitches are the way to go for sure.

If you are towing every weekend and over 10-20 miles, I would suggest a more capable towing vehicle rated Class III (5000 lbs). The most I have hauled is ~3200 lbs and is was for about 20 minutes. The car hauled it extremely well, although I have a DSG, and I had no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
for peace of mind id go Westphalia and keep to the euro with/ without brakes recommendations, I took mine 2000 miles with 3000 lbs between in car (1k) and 2k trailer load, car took it like a champ, even with a 4000' elevation change. I really wish I had gone with the Westphalia hitch.

sbh1973

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
I put a much less expensive U-Haul hitch on my 2013 JSW TDI DSG and, while it doesn't look great, does the trick. I regularly tow my motorcycle in a 750-pound utility trailer - about 1250 pounds total. I would not hesitate to tow up to 2000 pounds, and maybe more. I average around 30 mpg with the trailer attached - not too much worse than I average otherwise (about 35 in mixed driving).

I probably should have gone with the Westphalia as well, but I just wanted this done quickly and inexpensively.

allevil

TDI
2012 Golf, TDI, 6MT, 2dr, Silver, Tech package.
See this Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAH-8_x4SuE

I have a 2012 VW Golf TDI, 6 speed Manual, with the Westfalia Hitch. ITS AWESOME!

I pull a Aluma UT12 trailer with a 4 Seat Polaris RZR XP4 900LE from Iowa to Utah. It's about 950 miles one way and I go across Colorado on I70. If you know Colorado I70, you know the Interstate climbs up to 11,000 feet.

The Golf is a Champ! I tow at 70mph and get 20mpg all day long. When at Highway Speeds, I do not use 6th gear. I pull in 5th with the cruise on.

Honestly, If I had bought the car first... I may not have bought a truck. ;)

*Disclaimer: I've been driving trucks for over 15 years. I have hauled a little bit of everything. I drive with the other drivers in mind. Safety First.

Slow and Steady Wins the Race. :)

LOUDERMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 2dr Golf TDI, 6MT
I've got no reservations about using 6th gear when towing on a level cruise. The hard thing to get used to will be making myself shift out of 6th for small crests in the road and hills. During normal driving we never have to come out of top gear!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

allevil

TDI
2012 Golf, TDI, 6MT, 2dr, Silver, Tech package.
Nice setup allevil!

Thanks vw_leadfoot!

I had followed your wiring harness example when I wired my car.

It was a GREAT How-To for the install! :)

Specs on the Trailer/RZR weight - Trailer is #725, RZR is #1400.