JSW left front 'clunk' when turning right-DSG as well

Samcar222

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Salsa Red JSW TDI
So a few weeks ago I began to notice a weird clunking noise whenever I turn right at low speeds, like 10 mph turning onto another road. At first I thought it must be snow and ice, because our winter decided to begin in full 15 inch glory last week, but then today coming home from a friends home for new years, we stopped at the grocery store to get some stuff. When leaving, we drove along the front road closest to the store, with all of the stop signs to let people cross. Odd thing is, when I'd accelerate gently it would get into second gear at about ~1500 rpm like normal, no problem, then I'd let off the pedal to come to a stop again, and at that instant, I heard the exact same clunking noise, left front -every time I lifted to stop for the sign. Also, when turning right at the same speed, sometimes the car will give me second gear at say 1500 rpm when I'm turning, and I have to be smooth back to the throttle, but right as it rev matches and engages the clutch, sometimes I can hear the same noise. :confused:
It's a 2010 with 45k miles, so I have plenty of powertrain warranty left. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Sounds like you're due for a meeting with the service dept mgr. Take him for a free demo ride. JP

Samcar222

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Salsa Red JSW TDI
Went to the dealer, they put the car up and looked over the suspension and drivetrain 3x over, and I even took a tech for a ride, but of course it didn't make the noise. What do you know, on my way home, I hear it twice. Both times while slowing (downshifting, DSG) and turning right. Is this cold weather causing creaking strut towers, or do I have a DSG problem? The gearbox feels fine, no problems of any kind, minus the occasional confused bumpy shift, it also just had its 40k fluid and filter done.

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4-Door Golf TDI 6MT w/NAV & Sunroof

Samcar222

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Salsa Red JSW TDI
Interesting, thanks for the links. Are only two needed? (aka order just one set from ECS?) Is this something that is ok to wait until spring/summer for my 50k oil change to have them done? Or should I do it soon, as it's pretty cheap..?

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
No problem. You can either order the kit from ECS, or some have replaced the stock bolts with the audi bolts they talk about in the first link i posted in vortex. Yea, it is just to two bolts. You could also talk to your dealer and have them look up the TSB, and see if they will fix it, however I try to limit the dealer working on my car as much as possible. I would try to fix this as soon as possible though, I can't imagine what ever is loose and moving around that is causing the clunk is good for your car.

Samcar222

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Salsa Red JSW TDI
Are the ECS bolts in the link modified for the TSB? Or are they the stock bolts in my car right now?
"Replacing your stock units with identical replacements will only delay the issue and it will reappear after the replacements stretch" Just wondering.
I think it's time to schedule some subframe service at my indy shop, and intercooler pipe drain while I'm at it. :p Had a slight stutter after startup this morning.

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
Are the ECS bolts in the link modified for the TSB? Or are they the stock bolts in my car right now?
"Replacing your stock units with identical replacements will only delay the issue and it will reappear after the replacements stretch" Just wondering.
I think it's time to schedule some subframe service at my indy shop, and intercooler pipe drain while I'm at it. :p Had a slight stutter after startup this morning.
The ECS bolts are the bolt and spacers the VW uses for the TSB. The bolts aren't the same as what is currently in there. They seem to fix the problem for some ant not others.

Good call on cleaning out the IC pipe. I just did my 10k service, and got alot of goop out of there. I think it is something that should be done every 10k miles.

Samcar222

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Salsa Red JSW TDI
Acted as a thread bump for me, installed two new subframe bolts as above from ECS tuning, a year and three months later it's tight as a drum again. :)