JSW HID retrofit question

TDIWagen

TDI
2013 TDI Sportwagen
Please forgive me if search hasn't shown this.

Has anyone done a successful retrofit into these lights?

$1500 for OEM is a bit much

I have a source to get parts for a retro but scared of damaging my lights :)

I'd be willing to be one if the first around may after my semesters done.

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI :D
The most inexpensive route would be aftermarket replica's. They range from 500-570$ plus the cost of an HID kit which can range from 70-150$. Generally plug and play without LED but with LED will require some minor coding.

http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45469

I remember hearing about a guy who bought OEM with LED headlights from Mexico for 530$ but you'd still need the kufatec adapter (180$) and highline CECM (200-400$) if your car doesn't already have it.

The other option would be to cut them apart and install projectors; probably the cheapest, there are plenty of people trying to sell OEM halogen headlights for 150-250$ so if you break them it isn't a huge loss of cash.

Examples:
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?p=962207
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45319

Parts Source:
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/
Or eBay, wherever.

Last edited:

austinlatdi

TDI
'12 4-dr man GOLF TDI - Graphite Blue / '11 JSW DSG loaded - Candy White
My advice (because I just went through the whole thing) is to buy the $500 Ed's lights if you want an OEM look and fairly simple installation. I did this on my '12 Golf TDI.

If you want to save some cash and are willing to spend 3-4 hours of careful (but not hard) work, you can buy a retrofit kit with projectors and everything for about $250 or so. We did this on my wife's '11 Sportwagen TDI. The follow up adjustments, such as making the projector beams horizontally level with each other, can take some time and frustration. And cutting open your headlights takes some ingenuity on your part. I used butyl and a staple gun and put them back together to my personal standard where I felt good about it. For what we saved, I'd say it was a decent end result. The little projectors are not terribly bright. Not as bright as my Ed's OEM replica projectors. At least it doesn't seem that way.

nikhsub1

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf R
Plug-and-play?
Pretty much... they do need VCDS coding, even the lights with no leds... but they do use the 10 (or is it 12) pin plug that the factory halogen lights use. They look 100% OEM unless you look at the back of the housing as they are different.

That said, going OEM does NOT have to be super expensive either if you do it slow and go used. I have seen OEM housings for sale in classifieds for as little as $200 per side... You need ballasts and bulbs too which you can find or even new you can do for about $250/side. You need a harness adapter to go from 10 to 12 pin (or is it 12 to 14 pin?) which is like $50 for both. The last piece (minus the AFS stuff) is a highline CECM. The stock lights will work with a low/mid CECM but the high beams will not unless you get a highline. I have seen these used too for $250/$300 or new for $400 ish.

austinlatdi

TDI
'12 4-dr man GOLF TDI - Graphite Blue / '11 JSW DSG loaded - Candy White
Pretty much... they do need VCDS coding, even the lights with no leds... but they do use the 10 (or is it 12) pin plug that the factory halogen lights use. They look 100% OEM unless you look at the back of the housing as they are different.
That said, going OEM does NOT have to be super expensive either if you do it slow and go used. I have seen OEM housings for sale in classifieds for as little as $200 per side... You need ballasts and bulbs too which you can find or even new you can do for about $250/side. You need a harness adapter to go from 10 to 12 pin (or is it 12 to 14 pin?) which is like $50 for both. The last piece (minus the AFS stuff) is a highline CECM. The stock lights will work with a low/mid CECM but the high beams will not unless you get a highline. I have seen these used too for $250/$300 or new for $400 ish.

Add up the total and you could have TWO sets of Ed's lights by then. The lights from Ed's we bought, which are the base model of the 2nd generation, in other words identical to a 2010-2011 (no LED) do throw a code because there's no DRL.
I've been dealing with having the little orange light on my dash. If I could find someone that does coding I would ask them to help, but until then I'm just dealing. No biggie.

The pattern on Ed's lights is about as good as OEM.

nikhsub1

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf R
Add up the total and you could have TWO sets of Ed's lights by then. The lights from Ed's we bought, which are the base model of the 2nd generation, in other words identical to a 2010-2011 (no LED) do throw a code because there's no DRL.
I've been dealing with having the little orange light on my dash. If I could find someone that does coding I would ask them to help, but until then I'm just dealing. No biggie.
Yes I know, I have ED's lights... and yes, you need proper coding to get rid of the errors :) My point with the OEM price is that they are not as much as people make them seem to be... most will say it is upwards of $2k which is rubbish.

engineered2win

Veteran Member
TDI
MkVI Golf TDI
The light output on the knockoff chinese bixenons are no where near any decent OEM projector. They may look similar to OEM xenons, but they don't match OEM in quality. There are already problems with polycarbonate oxidation, projectors so far off that you can't get adjust them correctly, and LED DRL's crapping out. They're a crap shoot.

Yes I know, I have ED's lights... and yes, you need proper coding to get rid of the errors :) My point with the OEM price is that they are not as much as people make them seem to be... most will say it is upwards of $2k which is rubbish.
To do an OEM bixenon retrofit correctly with auto leveling, AFS, and highline CECM it's over $2k.

Last edited:

TDIWagen

TDI
2013 TDI Sportwagen
I'd probably replace with Ed's. I'm just looking for a bit better light output and for it to look a bit better. I've already got one money pit jetta isn't supposed to turn into another lol.

nikhsub1

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf R
I can no longer recommend these chinese lights, ed's or otherwise... the lens is starting to peel :( I am now sourcing OEM stuff. These lights are under a year old... I was told by the seller it is due to my car being outside... I have NEVER had a light ever do this in my 30 years of owning cars.

Jeffbucc

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportswagen TDI
Yup, sure I paid more for OEM lights and a highline CECM, but I have not had a single issue since installing them.

I am probably going to see if I can do the AFS retrofit, since lowering, I have had a couple people bright me. Probably just need to adjust them manually down a couple clicks.

I got mine for $700 shipped from Germany(housings/ballasts/bulbs/module), and the CECM from 1stvwparts for around $375.

nikhsub1

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf R
Yup, sure I paid more for OEM lights and a highline CECM, but I have not had a single issue since installing them.

I am probably going to see if I can do the AFS retrofit, since lowering, I have had a couple people bright me. Probably just need to adjust them manually down a couple clicks.

I got mine for $700 shipped from Germany(housings/ballasts/bulbs/module), and the CECM from 1stvwparts for around $375.
Jeff, can you tell me exactly what is needed? I know the housings, the ballasts and the bulbs - what is the 'module'? Thx.

BrShootr

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVI JSW
It is worth noting that ebay is a good source for used highline CECMs. I've seen some for under $200 and you can usually make an offer for less and see if the seller sells it.

nikhsub1

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf R
Not sure a new cecm is even needed... there is a way to get the high beams working without it... trying to figure that part out now as well.

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
In my experience with my '06 I was able to install the OEM HID lights from www.boraparts.com and I did the de-pin re-pin to go from the 10- to 12-pin harness plug and wired the high beam shutter to a relay and the halogen highbeam harness trigger for 12-volts. I also used a Dodge truck anti-flicker adapter from www.allhids.com and it all works great without a highline CECM!!! The only VCDS coding necessary was shutting off the DRL so that the HID ballasts get full a full 12-volts not the reduced DRL voltage which could harm the ballasts.

At least on my '06 and others I have helped this worked great and saved a lot of money and hassle over getting a used highline CECM and hoping that it works as expected.

Outrider6

Veteran Member
TDI
JSW 2011
Caveat Emptor on CECMs

It is worth noting that ebay is a good source for used highline CECMs. I've seen some for under $200 and you can usually make an offer for less and see if the seller sells it.
One thing to be careful about regarding BCMs (CECMs) is that there are different radio frequencies (for the remote) depending on which market the BCM is intended for. If you're in North America, the Euro version won't work with your key remote.

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
One thing to be careful about regarding BCMs (CECMs) is that there are different radio frequencies (for the remote) depending on which market the BCM is intended for. If you're in North America, the Euro version won't work with your key remote.
One of many reasons to avoid buying a used one and hoping it works!!! Just install the HIDs and the anti-flicker modules I mentioned earlier to get them to work without throwing codes!:D

Jeffbucc

Veteran Member
TDI
THIS X1000
It may look promising, but they are on a completely different frequency then american cars. It will code correctly, but you won't be able to pair your remotes or ABS or other things with your car at all!
I bought one since the price overcame logic, and had to go through a lengthy return process with them. I got all my money back, but it took 4 months.
Call your VW dealer and ask them what the replacement CECM part number is for your car. ALL replacements are highline modules. VW doesn't offer lowline replacement modules. Saying that, make sure the number at the end is an 87, that denotes a highline CECM.
The number they give you is your build dates correct CECM. Buying something with KESSY when you have a 2010 will not work.
Jeff, can you tell me exactly what is needed? I know the housings, the ballasts and the bulbs - what is the 'module'? Thx.
Sorry Nik, I wasn't too clear on that. The module is for the AFS. It isn't necessary if you aren't planning on doing a full AFS retrofit on your car. You still need to buy the suspension angle sensors and steering wheel AFS module in order to get them to function.
I was just lucky/happy that mine came with them in case I ever want to do it in the future. Especially since they are very very expensive.

By the way, for those looking for the CECM part #, this will work for a march 2010 build date car. 5K0 937 087 G

Last edited:

nikhsub1

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf R
Sorry Nik, I wasn't too clear on that. The module is for the AFS. It isn't necessary if you aren't planning on doing a full AFS retrofit on your car. You still need to buy the suspension angle sensors and steering wheel AFS module in order to get them to function.
I was just lucky/happy that mine came with them in case I ever want to do it in the future. Especially since they are very very expensive.
So then without AFS which IDGAF about, all that is needed to get low beams working is housing, ballast, bulb and wire adapters? Thx!

Jeffbucc

Veteran Member
TDI

nikhsub1

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf R
You are correct sir. I just hope for your sake the adapter wire isn't sold out everywhere like mine was.

Had to pony up an extra $30 for ECS's adapter, since no one had the Kufatek adapter. They quoted me 3 months for restock!

Also make sure your housing/bulbs come with the bulb retaining clip.
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_VI-Sportwagen-TDI/Lighting/Headlights/ES401757/
Yes... Do your bulbs look like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-10-11-V...d=100005&prg=1088&rk=2&rkt=4&sd=321160348703&

Jeffbucc

Veteran Member
TDI
It is the correct part # for the replacement ballast for the 09/10 golf so yeah, do it! No flickering or any other nonsense, it's great.

BIGMerle

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 TDI JSW

Can you let me know where you purchased them from?