Joying 10.1" Android Head Unit

bwhite757

TDI
2013 Jetta Premium, 2013 Jetta
Well figured I'd share my experience with a head unit swap in my '13 Jetta. I was looking around at the different Android head unit's out there, and I stumbled upon the Joying 10.1" unit. It was on Amazon, and Prime shipping, and after doing a few YouTube searches on it, I decided to go ahead and get it.
Let me back up a bit and say that I have 2 - 2013 Jetta Sedans. I use one mainly for work now, and the other one is my personal car, and it has the Fender audio system.

Now back to me getting the Joying unit. I swapped it out with the factory head unit on my Jetta with the Fender audio system, and this is when I found out that the factory amp is turned on/off through CanBus signal. I emailed CarJoying (the company that sells the unit), and they actually have a CanBus adapter that works with the Fender audio system, I had to pay them a little extra for them to mail me one from China, but once I got it in, sure enough, it powered up the Fender system, and sounded Great! 10x better than the stock unit.

If you've done any research on Android head units, you know the basics. This particular unit has a 1.6GHz Quad-Core processor, 1 GB Ram, and 16 GB storage (1GB partitioned for system and apps), 1024x600 resolution, and did I mention a 10.1" screen?!?! It does not have a separate SDCard slot, but can incorporate 2 usb devices, (i.e. Thumb Drive). The GPS SD slot is mounted inside the unit, on the back of the screen, and is a pain to get to, so it should just stay there unless the card goes bad for whatever reason.

While I was waiting on the new CanBus adapter to come in, I installed the unit in my work vehicle, with the standard audio system. It worked perfectly in it without any issues. I ran the unit with the stock ROM for 2 days. It works just fine with the stock rom, the only quirk I seemed to have was the radio presets would disappear every time the unit rebooted. After reading on XDA forum, I found out this plagues almost every brand of these kind of head units, and installing a different ROM would fix the issue. So I went ahead and installed a custom ROM on it, and sure enough my radio issue was fixed, plus I was able to tweak a lot of other things with Xposed Framework (read up on it if you don't know what I'm talking about).

Search for "10.1 CarJoying" on YouTube, and you will see plenty of videos of this Unit in action. It works exactly like those videos. It is basically a tablet for your car. The included iGO maps is fine if you don't have an internet connection available while you drive, but I use a FreedomPop hotspot in my car, and use Google Maps for my navigation. In the setup, you can make your GPS button launch any app you'd like, so I have it set to Google Maps.
I bought a cheap reverse camera and installed it on my trunk by the release button. The reverse camera will work even while the unit is booting up, so there are no worries there. Also, if you shut the car off with the FM radio playing, the radio will start playing as soon as you start your car up again, while the unit is booting. Boot time is about 30 seconds, and you can set the unit to go into standby for up to 2 hours before it completely powers off. Meaning if you just stop somewhere real quick, and jump back in the car before that time has expired, the unit will immediately turn back on, without having to boot up.
All-in-all, I have been AMAZED by this $400 head unit. You can easily pay 3 times as much for a premium name brand unit that can't do half of what this thing can do. Pretty much all Android apps run perfect on this unit, and if you decide to install a custom ROM, the partition gets changed from 1GB to 2GB for app storage, which is plenty for the needs of a vehicle! The quad-core processor is very snappy, and it breezes through apps and multitasking just fine.

My only gripe is with the screen glare! This screen is very shiny, just like your phone. The sun glare is pretty bad on it during the daytime, so I will be installing an anti-glare screen protector on it to try and alleviate some of that issue.

Here's a little video I did on it, please excuse my "uhm's," hate talking to a camera.
Here's another video going over the different things with a custom ROM.

Here's a Wiki on XDA on these types of head units. Good read, and how I learned to put the custom ROM on it: http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/Hui_Fei_Type

Last edited:

Victor Huge

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf TDI
That's awesome, make sure you get an ELM327 bluetooth adaptor so you can run torque to check boost/mpg and clear codes etc..

What does it look like behind the screen though? It sticks out a fair amount and this is contrary to some i've seen that look like the stock radio with the buttons as well

Also, I approve of your currently playing song :p

Last edited:

bwhite757

TDI
I don't know why, I looked at the pictures after you said that, and it does sit pretty flush to the dash, but in the pics it does look like it sticks out quite a bit. This unit doesn't fit in like the "OEM Style" ones made to be a direct fit, it sits out in front of the radio opening because of the massive screen.

I do have an OBD2 reader, but for some reason it keeps losing connection after a couple of seconds. It does this with my phone also, so I've got to get another one. I've been using torque with my phone for quite some time now, but I think the adapter just crapped out. I'll be replacing it soon though.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
WOW! Huge display. But does it really just pull out of the dash like that? Seems like a stereo thief's wet dream. Then again, the factory stereo can be stolen after removing four torx screws. I think I may be more inclined to try the 8-inch version to keep it all IN the dash as well as to not block the AC, recirc, and seat status indicators.

On to the positives, I think that would be a cool way to get big maps, GoogleMaps/Traffic, and TorquePro running in the car without relying on a smartphone in the open. I would need the version for Fender Audio. I look forward to your video about that system. :)

Scott

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
Just remembered a question I meant to ask: Does this device work with the factory backup camera, including the overlays you shared? Or would one need to use Joying's camera?

Celco

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 4dr ALH 5-speed
Glad to see someone else took the plunge. I have been kicking around the idea of upgrading my alpine headunit to one of the Joying 7" models for my MKIV Golf. I think next paycheck I am going to order up one from Amazon.

Questions on the OS/Operations of the device. Since I know they will probably share close to the same software, how is the navigation? How is swapping from different apps?

Looks forward to checking one out. Looks good!

Victor Huge

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf TDI
I'm also curious about mk4 options, let us know.

Also, in the second pic it looks much better because the first ones made it seem like it was a tablet glued onto the old radio hehehe

bwhite757

TDI
WOW! Huge display. But does it really just pull out of the dash like that? Seems like a stereo thief's wet dream.
I would need the version for Fender Audio. I look forward to your video about that system. :)
Scott
Being the victim of 3 head units being stolen from 3 different vehicles of mine, 1 of which was in this car, I'm a thief's wet dream anyway. I'm a firm believer that locks only keep out honest people, and haven't locked my car since my 1st break-in, as replacing the window, and damage to the dash ended up costing me much more than the stereo that was stolen. If someone wants this thing bad enough, they're going to take it, I'd rather it be easy for them and me not have to replace expensive car parts damaged in the process.

As for the Fender setup, there's really no difference other than the CanBus adapter, it powers the amp on fine, and works/sounds great. I ended up ordering the 8" one for my car with the Fender system, it's coming in tomorrow, so I'll have that all hooked up and setup after work tomorrow.

Just remembered a question I meant to ask: Does this device work with the factory backup camera, including the overlays you shared? Or would one need to use Joying's camera?
I wouldn't think so. The backup camera on this unit wants a standard RCA input. It may work with the stock camera, but I have no idea how the stock camera is hooked up to the factory system as neither of my vehicles had a stock backup cam.

Questions on the OS/Operations of the device. Since I know they will probably share close to the same software, how is the navigation? How is swapping from different apps?
I'm not a fan of the included iGO navigation. I like the user interface, but it's routes are not very efficient in my opinion. Just playing around with it around town, it would take me out of the way to get to a destination. If you don't have a constant data connection for this device, then it will get you by as the maps are all stored on the SDCard. I swapped over to Google Maps for my navigation, and it works great, but does require a data connection. I use a FreedomPop hotspot in my car which gives you 500mb of data/month for free. Check it out at freedompop.com. Granted 500mb is not enough to stream music, but I have a Google Play Music account, so I download playlists and music while I'm at home in my garage. If I want to stream music while I drive, I simply turn on my tethering on my phone.

Also, there's an app called Tasker for Android, where you can set up profiles to automatically turn on your tethering whenever your phone sees the headunit's bluetooth connection, and then turn it back off when it doesn't. Works well, I've tried it out myself.

Also, I updated the OP to include a link the the WiKi on XDA about these head units, good way to read up on how to do different things with them: http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/Hui_Fei_Type

Last edited:

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
BWhite,

I ended up ordering the 8" one for my car with the Fender system, it's coming in tomorrow, so I'll have that all hooked up and setup after work tomorrow.
I looked at that one, too. The item I saw in Amazon had just two reviews. One was a bit of a concern. Often, I can determine that the buyer was at fault for a 1-star review... or being unreasonable. But this doesn't appear to be the case in this buyer, especially since they tried more than one unit. I look forward to seeing your report on the 8-inch unit. What compelled you to go with the 8-incher when you're so happy with the 10?

I wouldn't think so. The backup camera on this unit wants a standard RCA input. It may work with the stock camera, but I have no idea how the stock camera is hooked up to the factory system as neither of my vehicles had a stock backup cam.
Bummer! I'll have to look at the back of my head unit and see what it has. RCA is pretty universal, so I can't count on VW to use it. :p

Take Care,

Scott

bwhite757

TDI
BWhite,
I looked at that one, too. The item I saw in Amazon had just two reviews. One was a bit of a concern. Often, I can determine that the buyer was at fault for a 1-star review... or being unreasonable. But this doesn't appear to be the case in this buyer, especially since they tried more than one unit. I look forward to seeing your report on the 8-inch unit. What compelled you to go with the 8-incher when you're so happy with the 10?

Bummer! I'll have to look at the back of my head unit and see what it has. RCA is pretty universal, so I can't count on VW to use it. :p

Take Care,

Scott
I'm taking that review with a grain of salt. The only issue he listed on there in his "The Bad" section that I think may be an actual issue that a custom ROM doesn't fix, is his screen flickered on bright screens. Everything else he listed is addressed and fixed if you put a custom ROM on it, or it's an issue that isn't going to bother me. Although I do agree, some work needs to be done to the stock ROM for those people that are not comfortable playing around in the Android ecosystem.

That person also doesn't know the difference between RAM and internal storage, which makes me wonder how savvy he is in the first place. I do know you can change the backup camera overlays by changing the images in the system, but again that's an issue I'm not worried about as I actually don't like the overlay on the backup camera in the first place.

The radio reception does plague all these style units, that's well documented on XDA, and there are fixes for it if you want it better, I honestly don't care about radio reception, who listens to regular radio these days? lol

I'm also ordering it off of Amazon Prime, so if there's an issue I can't iron out, I'll box it back up and send it back. You don't have to modify your car to make it work, and install time is maybe 15 minutes (unless you run a wire for a backup camera).

After seeing the 10" one in person, I decided I wanted the cleaner look of the 8" in my personal car. Don't get me wrong, I really like the 10" one, and for my work car, it's great (as I spend most of my time in that one anyway). But I think the physical buttons and knobs will be a nice to have, and it fits in the dash, so I went with it.

I uploaded another video last night going over the different things about a custom ROM, so if you want to check it out: https://youtu.be/mgokrN5aKoo

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Would love one of these in my 06' but it looks like alota work to get the right install kit and harnesses for my car.

bwhite757

TDI
Well I got my 8" one in my personal car last night. Made a couple videos of the install, first boot, stock setup, and installing the custom ROM on it. I've got to go through and edit all the videos and then upload them, hopefully I'll get around to that tonight.

The 8" one is the exact same firmware as the 10" one, so there's really no difference in the way it operates. It looks good in the dash, but I don't know if it's the angle of the screen, or just that this screen is shinier than the 10" one, but the screen glare is a lot worse on the 8" unit. I ordered an anti-glare screen protector for it, and I'll get it on as soon as it gets in.

I did have an issue right after I installed the custom ROM, and it would not power on the screen, it booted up based on the fact that the buttons would light up, and sound would start playing, but no screen. I pulled it out of my car and hooked it up to a 12v supply on my work bench and it powered on just fine, hooked it back up in my car and it's working good again. I'll have to keep an eye on that, hopefully it was just a glitch in the custom firmware. These units have a MCU (media control unit) inside them that switches the screen input between the reverse camera, and Android system, and it does other things as well like dim the screen when you turn the lights on, and controls the button lights, but I'm thinking that may have got hung up, as I don't have a reverse camera installed on that car yet, which would just give me a black screen. We'll see if it happens again.

I'll make another forum topic for it in a week after I get it fully setup and tested out.

Last edited:

salad

TDI
2011 JSW, 2012 Q7
Do your steering wheel controls - volume, change station/track/source - still work?

Boomgarden

TDI
2013 jetta
I'm interested in a unit that will run in my 2013 jetta tdi. I want the stock steering wheel controls to work along with backup camera and get something going with the obd2 port for on screen diagnostics. This post is old but if you could give me feedback on a good setup that would be amazing