JoeVat's turbo

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
JoeVat's turbo is ready. Here's a couple of pictures before it ships today. We now have a reliable supply of these actuators, so while this isn't our first turbo like this, it certainly won't be the last. In fact we are doing one of these kits next week for a local in a 2005 wagon, and hopefully we can get some dynos from it.
This turbo has no discernable axial or radial shaft play, and it free spins like it has ball bearings.

joevat

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI PD
TdiAvenger said:
pardon my ignorance, but what is it?
its my VNT20 ST3 turbo with an electric actuator. with or without it will work and i am the proof in the pudding to state that as i have the non electric actuator sensor in my PD100 (BEW) right now. im am being Kerma's test monkey. ;)

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
Man, wish I could be a test monkey sometimes. :D Anyone want to send me some homed pd130 injectors? :)

joevat

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI PD
NathanMSL said:
The PD's are electronically acutated.
no they are not. they are vacumn actuated. the sensor is just for the ecu to verify position but can still operate without it as i have been doing for the last 2 weeks.

Scott_DeWitt said:
Must be a north american thing. I've got several euro pd engines, all with vacuum operated vanes.
yes it is a NA thing. makes no sense why the NA PD's have this sensor and none of the PD's (100/130/150 etc...) in europe do not have this sensor.

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
Scott_DeWitt said:
Must be a north american thing. I've got several euro pd engines, all with vacuum operated vanes.
I think it is actually an EDC16 thing. My PD150 didn't have the electronic actuator but it is also EDC15. All of the north American PD's are EDC16.

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
-Whitey: 2000 Jetta GLS, Red: 2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
Hey Charlie, can you post a pic of the compressor outlet on one of those next to a rotated VNT-17's compressor outlet for a positioning reference?

Can the 20's outlet be rotated like the 17's can?

Oh and is it true that a 2" ID hose just slips over the outlet?

VwPodRacer

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta PD150, 98 Jetta TDI
kinda a waste since you cant see that turbo unless you are underneath the car;) but whatever floats your boat:rolleyes:

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
Street Toys said:
What do you think Joe? Will that "Cool-Blue" be good for 100 degrees less EGT's:D
All paint is an insulator.

Nothing sheds more heat than bare copper. Bare 2024 aluminum is second best. There is a new black anodize process that is the least insulative of all anti-corrosive coatings available today if a protective finish were needed. ;)

SuperJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Isn't there some sort of advantage to ceramic turbine housing coatings? Something to do with keeping more energy in the exhaust gases to act on the turbine and reducing underhood temps?:confused:

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
LurkerMike said:
All paint is an insulator.

Nothing sheds more heat than bare copper. ;)
Actually I believe that liquid helium takes that trophy, but since it only exists a few degrees above absolute zero... I digress and will climb back under my rock.

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
SuperJ said:
Isn't there some sort of advantage to ceramic turbine housing coatings? Something to do with keeping more energy in the exhaust gases to act on the turbine and reducing underhood temps?:confused:
Yeah ceramic coatings make great insulators. Coating stuff that sees alot of heat (piston tops, cumbustion chambers, turbin housings) tend to keep heat in the gas and lessen heat that is transfered to the component. BTW don't ceramic coat a turbine, the stuff will kill the balance, and flake off as full spin.

The effectivness of ceramic coatings is greatly debated, as is the life of the coating, but my opinion says it works pretty darn good.

jayfrigginjones

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle TDI 5sp
Scott_DeWitt said:
Actually I believe that liquid helium takes that trophy, but since it only exists a few degrees above absolute zero... I digress and will climb back under my rock.
Liquid He is quite expensive. We just charged out brand new MRI superconducting magnets and it cost just under $100k. 4 Kelvin is quite the engineering achievement.

BlakGolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 mk4 golf
SuperJ said:
thats the side we usually coat.

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
johnnloki said:
Oh, wait a sec- don't move, I see a nit.

Copper Silver alloy. Then copper, then aluminium.
Thanks! :D

Only somone who is not a true friend would let you speak in public or go in front of a camera with a booger hangin out of your nose... :p

hgeittmann

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat Wagon
speaking of nits... I don't remember the term "sheds more heat" from any of my heat transfer classes. I do remember conduction, convection, and radiation. Some paints can enhance radiative heat transfer effectively. Diamond, where lattice vibrations (phonons) transfer the heat, has a higher thermal conductivity than any metal (where electons transport thermal energy).