jhax's Built ALH into a MK2 Golf thread

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
I sent my tach off to get any issues worked out and it looks like I had some bad soldering joints. I also had the odometer set back to 000000, might as well put a cherry on top. I am running into an issue with my shifting mechanism though. I am using a shift, housing, lever (screw on handle type) and cables (from a 6 speed 02M) with a 02J shift tower. I am unable to get the trans to shift into fifth with the car off and sitting in the garage. It seems like the lever wants to go "all the way to the right" but will not shift Up into gear, it feels like it's stuck. I have removed the shift cable ends and am able to shift the tower to 5th by hand. I am wondering if one of the cables is too short to push the tower up into fifth? I will attempt to "push the tower toward the back of the car while shifting in order to see if it is an issue with the tower bushing. Are there any ideas as to what may be causing the issue? This is a new .756 5th gear installed by myself. Like I said, I can shift into 5th from the tower with the cable ends unhooked. I will attempt to connect one end at a time and see which one may not be "reaching." Thank you

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Is there a reason you’re using 02M cables? I’d use the 02J cables, unless I’m missing something....

-Todd

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
That is how mine acted with a bad shift tower bearing. If you have someone else work the shift or you can easily see if that bearing is worn

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Todd, it's just the assembly I pulled at the time. I pulled the tower from an 02 golf at the yard today. The tower on the golf moved so much more fluidly while it was in the car. Like butter it was. I will install the tower into the golf this week. My fiance and I recently purchased and moved into our first home, so I have been busy with all that fun. I got the tune loaded and the cam broken in without anything going wrong.

I would like to be driving the car by the weekend of my birthday at the end of the month. At this point all I need to do is get this 5th gear thing sorted, attach the driver's side under dash plastic, get the front clip on and torque the front wheels with my trusty jesus bar.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Alright, I lied, I just attempted 5th (top of the shift tower an counter clockwise. No go. So something must be hung up in the gear.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
So it seems like my issue is my 5th gear cover. My trans is an 02A CTN. I too off the cover and one of the dog ears and outer spring popped out. I put them back in and verified it would shift to 5th several times, both with the gear lever in the cab and the shift tower. All shifts well, I put the cover back on, attempted to shift again and no 5th. I suspect the 02J cover is deeper than the 02A cover.

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
So it seems like my issue is my 5th gear cover. My trans is an 02A CTN. I too off the cover and one of the dog ears and outer spring popped out. I put them back in and verified it would shift to 5th several times, both with the gear lever in the cab and the shift tower. All shifts well, I put the cover back on, attempted to shift again and no 5th. I suspect the 02J cover is deeper than the 02A cover.
no. theyre the same. 9 year long thread. maybe it will be done someday. lol

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
No, I am an idiot. The fork that holds the 5th gear that attaches to the gate was installed backwards. Going to reinstall this evening and get the radiator fan wiring harness worked out. I will go for a first drive by next weekend damn it!

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
No, I am an idiot. The fork that holds the 5th gear that attaches to the gate was installed backwards. Going to reinstall this evening and get the radiator fan wiring harness worked out. I will go for a first drive by next weekend damn it!
I'm rooting for ya dood. I lost track of how many swaps i have done since 2012. Just got done with ahu into 81 caddy and finishing up a doka syncro alh.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Speedometer doesn't work, tach is still reading 3k at idle, odometer doesn't count up. I'm suspecting the vss in my trans may be gone. B4 Passat control arms are too long which is creating a camber issue. But it pulls like a raped ape.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
I tightened my vss down as it was finger tight. One thing I notice is that the tach needle jumps at key on indicating an electrical signal getting to the tach but the speedo needle doesnt jump. So I suspect the vss isnt getting an electrical signal. Is this a correct assumption?

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
I checked voltage at pins 1 and 3 of the VSS plug and its reading a whopping .03V so I think that that is my issue. I found this thread so I will be doing the same thing to see what happens.

Cheers

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
ground wires will show low voltages

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Ugh right? Well, I just hooked up the vss ignition on wire to the reverse light switch and HUZZAH! So I dont think it's a ground issue, its a signal issue. So I think I will spend the next leg of my journey tracing the wiring harness staring at that big ol group of ignition on wires, lucky for me I took good notes, but that means going under the dash again. Worse comes to worse I will just tee off the reverse light switch and call it done.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Tachometer issue RESOLVED: There must be some sort of interference within the CE2 fuse block that amplifies the signal. thanks to @jetta 97 who suggested to just connect the wire from the ECU to to cluster. I get an accurate tach now.

Speedometer issue temporarily resolved: I spliced the VSS ignition hot wire to the brake light switch and I have speedometer now as well.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Next hiccup. Left turn signal does not blink. Right and hazards blink. Relay 21 in position 6 of fuse block sounds like a struggle bus only when left turn signal is on. I assume it's the relay. Ideas?

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
I took the car out for a drive today and made a mental note of a couple of things.

1) I suspect my IQ is set too high, although it is around 4.2 (last time I checked), it seems to smoke significantly still at first start up idle and I am experiencing what I can only describe as a miss at light to 1/4 throttle. Once I get on it, the car comes alive!

2) If I give it too much throttle and it goes into boost, it will go into limp mode. I then have to turn it off and turn it back on again.

So what should my IQ be based on my modifications (DLC1019s, GTC1549VZ, 11mm IP, external FP)? And what measuring blocks should I start looking at and recording in VCDS? Boost Actual v Requested is the one that comes to me immediately.

Thanks

Last edited:

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
On #2, have you checked that the turbo actuator holds vacuum, and that the VNT mechanism moves smoothly across its full range of motion?

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
I ran the N75 test in VCDS and that was successful. I can take a mighty vac pump to the turbo actuator correct?

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Yep, just disconnect the line that runs from N75 to the turbo actuator and hook up the mityvac there.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Alright, and if that hold vacuum (18 deg um or whatever) consistently for x minutes? What would be next to check for? I only have an N75 on this car, no N18 or N239. Answered my own question.

Last edited:

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Good morning, can I please get an idea of what my IQ should be given my modifications?

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
I took Gramps out for a couple of spins tonight. Managed to hit 125 on the highway. I am getting a few codes i havent gotten before. Something tells me its the power wire to the N75 and MAF? Any ideas? Logs and fault codes...

4 Faults Found:
16629 - Solenoid Valve for Boost Pressure Control (N75)
P0245 - 35-10 - Short to Ground - Intermittent
16486 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70)
P0102 - 35-00 - Signal too Low
17068 - Glow Plug Control Module (J179)
P0684 - 35-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
16600 - Commencement of Injection Valve (N108)
P0216 - 35-00 - Circuit Malfunction

Readiness: 1 3 0 0 0

What I find odd is that it calls out J179 which seems to be the gp relay for the later model tdis

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Here are the latest logs per flashzilla site, I doubt I am actually making 40+ psi of boost. I still have a boost leak and I suspect it's coming from the line coming coming from the intake manifold to the boost gauge. I need to get an actual threaded to hose barb, I am currently using a hollow threaded bolt thing. I am still experiencing a stutter at 10% throttle. My IQ is at low 9s so I will play with it again tomorrow. I corrected my timing, I was too far advanced. Oh and once again, I am an idiot, I had the main vacuum check valve facing the wrong way before, so that has been remedied. Obviously much better turbo response and no more P0245 code.

Cheers,
Justin

Log #498367

Side note, my fiance and I are honeymooning for a month in Europe, I have convinced her for us to buy a T3 TD to drive while we are out there and camp in, then import to the US. If anyone has any leads on a good one for 8000 Euro or less let me know.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Bad MAF? Log #498528

EDIT: Wrong MAF, the one I had grabbed off my shelf in the garage was for a 12V VR6, replaced with an ALH unit and it runs better. Still have to much around with fueling a bit.

Last edited:

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Aside from the slight stutter still yes. Took my future father in law for a spin, got up to 100mph, he wasnt too thrilled but was a good sport about it. Gotta figure out my windshield washer wiring, I routed hose from the separate washer tank in the back all the way up front. Trial and error.