jhax's Built ALH into a MK2 Golf thread

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Frank06 on this forum

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
'91 Jetta, '91 GTI, '04 Touareg
Thanks, but seems like Frank06 is no longer active. Does he have a business contact..?

And what did you end up with for axles? Or are you swapping mk2 flanges...

Last edited:

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Actually, I lied, I got my girdle from Whitbread on the forum, he also hasnt been around in a few years but his website is still up. As for the axles, I went with standard mk3/passat 100mm axles and used the Passat CTN transmission.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Thanks, but seems like Frank06 is no longer active. Does he have a business contact..?
Think you might have been looking at the wrong username. It's actually "Franko6", not "Frank06", and he is still active - just saw him posting in the last couple days.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
Actually, I lied, I got my girdle from Whitbread on the forum, he also hasnt been around in a few years but his website is still up. As for the axles, I went with standard mk3/passat 100mm axles and used the Passat CTN transmission.
I believe mk2's after '91 had 100mm axle bolt pattern.

Think you might have been looking at the wrong username. It's actually "Franko6", not "Frank06", and he is still active - just saw him posting in the last couple days.
Well that would do it. Thanks :)

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Good Morning,

I am trying to figure out what others have done about their coolant and heater core hoses with mk2 ALH swaps. I know for sure that I will need the EGR Cooler Bypass hose. I have the old mk2 heater core to hard line hose but I suspect it will not work. And I need to find a Tee hose off the upper radiator hose, of some sort that I can connect the other side of my oil cooler hose to. Any information out there?

Thank You,
Justin

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
Good Morning,

I am trying to figure out what others have done about their coolant and heater core hoses with mk2 ALH swaps. I know for sure that I will need the EGR Cooler Bypass hose. I have the old mk2 heater core to hard line hose but I suspect it will not work. And I need to find a Tee hose off the upper radiator hose, of some sort that I can connect the other side of my oil cooler hose to. Any information out there?

Thank You,
Justin
I'm hoping to fit the oem mk4 heater core and hoses that I salvaged from the donor for my mk2 jetta

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh, if holes are redrilled in the firewall then of course.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
As it sits in the bay

final harness continuity check, turns out my go pedal needed repinned

downpipe tack welded and sent off

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
I did not see you mention which crossmember you used to drop in the ALH.. or is that an AHU block?

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 Passat front cross member and MK3/B4 TDI front motor mount bracket.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah I just stumbled on that one a couple weeks ago. That is the sierra beige color. I had the picture of the motor as my desktop when I first started this thing ha!

So far, placed Noico sound deadening throughout the whole interior. I put the new carpet in. I'm glad I made the purchase. I ran a windshield washer hose from the rear washer bottle all the way to the front washers and swapped the washer wire. I managed to find a set of the Saiga Beige tweed seats in pretty good shape, safe for a few cigarette burn holes, my seats were pretty trashed. I cut out a small section of good material from the old seat to be used on the new seat and cover up the holes, I sent it to the upholster about a week ago.

Engine wiring harness is placed and wires run behind the passengers side fender. Ive got to do the last of the looming of the wires in the engine bay for the coolant temp sensor and VSS.

B4 Pedal Box is in and I installed the brake booster delete plate, brake master cylinder and clutch master cylinder and hooked both up to the pedals. When I was pushing the plastic connector into the clutch pedal, the pressed pedal decided it wanted to spring back and depress on my thumb, making a nice puncture in my thumb nail.

Next up, install the steering column tube which has a bran new bearing in it, and lay out all of the interior wiring harness where it should go and hopefully plug all of my connectors into the back of the CE2 fuse box.

I bought a Common Rail aux fuel pump and I am wondering if it would be safe to just hook the power wire up to the switched wire at the top of the injection pump? I am worried that if both the fuel pump and the injector pump fueling wire are pulling power, that one or the other would not work at full capacity, if that makes any sense. Any thoughts on the matter?

Last edited:

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Obtained unobtanium!

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
For all you electrical nerds out there. I would like to power my aux fuel pump from the relay #12 on my ce2 fuse box. I am running roughly 7ft of 14-16ga wire from the fuse box to the engine bay connector. The thicker 12 gauge wire comes out of the other side of the connector to the pump plug. Can I safely run 12v to the pump without frying the wire?

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Based on the gasser wiring diagrams, it looks like the fuel pump for the mk3 is a 16 gauge wire. The fuse box has a 20amp fuse specifically for the FP relay, so Ill just plug it in and give it a shot I guess.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Next question, would anyone happen to know the type of male spade connector that goes inside the mk3 fog light wiring harness barrel connector? It is not the same kind that goes into the T14 engine harness connectors on the mk4. This is the large barrel connector that twists apart in the engine bay.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
What to expect when you're expecting? I plugged in all sensors, ecu, instrument cluster. What should I expect? The only thing I am experiencing is the coolant and fuel gauge bouncing. I expect the odometer to turn on and cluster leds. I know I'm getting power to the ecu via pin 37. I am only turning to the accessory position. What pins should I be checking with the multimeter?

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Houston, we have ecu reading. Turns out it was the USB on my laptop. Next order of business, why are my coolant and temp gauges constantly bouncing back and forth while the ignition is off, the 109 relay constantly clicks too. Any ideas? EDIT: forgot to ground G1/5 at the head. Fixed

Last edited:

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
Kinda dark there but the engine bay looks understated, which is how I likes 'em..

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
As do I, unfortunately it now needs a cleaning as there is what I can only assume is assembly lube all over the bay that shot out of the turbo exhaust. I don't know what else it could be, but it looks like sludge. There are no metal flakes in it so that's good. After running for a bit, very smoky, I assume because the rings aren't set causing blow by and I put about two extra quarts of oil in order to build up initial oil pressure. I also suspect that excessive white smoke can be the DLC1019 injectors dumping fuel into the cylinders. Any suggestions on how to clean it up so I can get it idling happily?

Last edited:

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
This is what was coming out.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Maybe oil being pumped into the intake tract from the crankcase vent