jhax's Built ALH into a MK2 Golf thread

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Ecu and wiring harness in.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
New brake lines tomorrow and paint on Friday

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
The process has begun! Rust removal...

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Before paint, it hasnt gotten painted yet.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
That paint looks decent. I’d have it blended. Moving along....

-Todd

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you sir. The paint was a maaco clear coat special so they could sell it at the dealership ii bought it at. Good from 100 ft, the price is right to get the job done right. The body doesn't deserve the motor at this point. I'm aiming for as close to a factory restoration.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
I am upgrading to the mk3 subframe. I plan on using my mk2 manual steering rack. I want to maintain geometry and I'm going with the HD front suspension. I have the early corrado spring cups and it seems like I need to stick with mk2 control arms. I also have the mk4 outer tie rod ends. My question is, which axles? It seem like I should maintain the mk2 cvs, I have a set of Passat axles, but I think they are too wide. Suggestions? Will mk3 axles work? B4 axles? Or mk2?

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you, its definitely a slow and steady progress thread for sure. I hope to have it done by next summer.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Paint prep has begun!

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
The rear corner was smashed in pretty good. Its taken quite a bit to get it sorted. I have to hand it to the guys doing the work. They are kicking ass.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Still in the shop, making sure the job is done right.

More to come, buying parts like a madman almost done with this project

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Since there isn't much out there anymore with respect to fitting a mk3 instrument cluster into a mk2 dashboard prettily (with the exception of a description and photos provided by GTITDI), I present to you... fitting a mk3 instrument cluster into a mk2 dashboard prettily.
I cut out the mk2 dash back board to fit the width and depth of the mk3 cluster.
I took the existing mk2 cluster bracket that sits closest to the drivers door and cut it at its thinnest point to create 2 new brackets.

I sliced off the parts of the brackets that curve 90 degrees so the metal that was to be riveted to the mk3 plastic cluster mount was flat. I also bent the mounting tabs on the ends of the bracket to fit the contours of the mk2 dash back board.
This is the part of the dash that is closest to the drivers door, the dash is upside down in this photo.

Both brackets were pop riveted into place. I riveted the leftmost bracket at the diagonal section for more strength.
The biggest pain was trying to figure out where to rivet the plastic mk3 cluster holder to the metal, I knew I wanted the cluster to sit so it doesnt exactly touch the dashboard at the top so it is easier to get in and out once the dash is back in the car.

Next challenge is modifying the mk2 bezel plastic to accommodate for the mk3 cluster. I took a mk3 bezel and trimmed it to fit the mk2 bezel. I had to cut and heat and mold the mk2 bezel to accommodate the mk3 plastic.
Bottom of the mk3 bezel needs to be that thick in order to touch the mk3 cluster.
I widened the mk2 cluster plastic to 208mm at it's widest point near the bottom.

I will use a harbor freight 80w plastic welder and noryl rod to fuse the two bezels together. https://www.mcmaster.com/noryl-rods

Last edited:

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Glad to see you’re moving along. I’m curious to see how the dash bezel works out. Personally, I’d be inclined to use fiberglass.

It appears you cut some of the structural portion from the upper part of the dash? Will this cause the vinyl to dip, in that area?

-Todd

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Todd,

I don't suspect so. The black layer is only there in order to provide support for all brackets under the dash. That light part you see is the board that the vinyl is glued to and is pretty thick.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Looking forward to some shots with color, probably not as much as you are though.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
You have no idea, I have been waiting a long time.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Battery Tray...

No battery tray...

New not battery tray material...

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I was expecting to see the car painted, lol. What’s the reason for cutting out the tray? It didn’t look horrible.

-Todd

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
It was pretty bad, they had originally sprayed primer on it so it didn't look as bad as it was. I ultimately want a cleaner engine bay and figured I went through the trouble of extending the harness. Sorry for the teaser Todd.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Haha, yeah no kidding. Saw it today to help put rear glass in. All doors and fenders hung. Windshield install Thursday.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Good weekend...
Out with the old

in with the new

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm going through my harness and remembered I grabbed it from an auto car. My go pedal pin 1 is intended for the kickdown. I terminated it at the blue connector. I just want to verify that I do not need to wire it into the sci, and have the sci switched to work with a manual clutch via vcds? Is that correct? What do I change in vcds on my computer?

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
'91 Jetta, '91 GTI, '04 Touareg
I have been following this thread for some time, ever since I Google'd "girdle" for my alh. I noticed you are no longer using it for the project. Are you willing to let it go?

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Let it go long ago sir. I realized my aspirations for HPand torque would no longer suit my fun factor. I crackles.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
'91 Jetta, '91 GTI, '04 Touareg
Let it go long ago sir. I realized my aspirations for HPand torque would no longer suit my fun factor. I crackles.
Do you still have the contact for purchasing one?