jhax's Built ALH into a MK2 Golf thread

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
It’s hard to tell from the pics, but is the metal thin? Can you push a screwdriver through it? Dremel isn’t going to cut it, get in there with the grinder and wire wheel, and you’ll burn through the thin areas. Vinegar is a very weak acid, and it’ll take a long time, especially in the cold.

If the edges of the floor pans are good, and you definitely need to replace them, I’d be tempted to glue them in. The adhesive isn’t cheap, and you’ll need a special gun, but maybe you can rent or borrow one from a local body shop.

Way faster, and you won’t have to worry about weld through primer, rust, etc.. Clamping it might be an issue, but some small screws would hold it, then pull them after 24 hours. Deburr the holes, then smear more adhesive or seam sealer over them.

-Todd

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Thanks for the tip. I had my dad look at it, according to him a lot of the metal is still good. There are a couple small pin holes where rust has gotten through. I've been taking a sanding stone to the pan to help reveal what's good and bad. So far it looks like I can wire wheel a lot of it out and still have good metal, just need to fill in some of the small holes. Photos to follow.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
After much adieu with the dremel, this is what I am working with. Like I said, a few small holes here and there but it doesn't seem like anything worth cutting out. I have naval jelly I can smear on there. What are your thoughts?

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
After much adieu with the dremel, this is what I am working with. Like I said, a few small holes here and there but it doesn't seem like anything worth cutting out. I have naval jelly I can smear on there. What are your thoughts?

Id smear Marine Tex in it. Let it dry and sand it to your liking. Any other metal id Ospho to prevent rust. Then paint to your liking. Did this method to my 57 beetle for rust repair. Marine tex is way better than bondo, imo.

Also, a 4 or 4.5" angle grinder and a wire brush wheel works really quickly at getting spots like that shiny.....
Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the information. I think I am going to take a MIG and fill in the holes as opposed to putting filler in there. I obviously want to paint the floor with waterproof paint and I have read about rubberized marine primer and master seal bridge primer. For an undercoating, I don't have the name of it but it is a brush on, comes in a yellow can and is UV resistant.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, all that needs to be done is disconnect brake lines and its ready to tip.

Got new plates.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
No, I will unbolt the subframe, with wheels, suspension, motor, trans attached (the wheels are on dollies now) from the body, jack the body up and roll the whole kit and kabootle from the front of the body. I will then attach the body to the tipping mechanism and repeat with the rear axle.

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
After much adieu with the dremel
a·dieu
/əˈdo͞o,əˈdyo͞o/Submit
LITERARY
exclamation
exclamation: adieu
goodbye.
noun
noun: adieu; plural noun: adieux; plural noun: adieus
a goodbye.
"he whispered a fond adieu"
:confused:

https://youtu.be/G2y8Sx4B2Sk

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
a·dieu
/əˈdo͞o,əˈdyo͞o/Submit
LITERARY
exclamation
exclamation: adieu
goodbye.
noun
noun: adieu; plural noun: adieux; plural noun: adieus
a goodbye.
"he whispered a fond adieu"
:confused:

https://youtu.be/G2y8Sx4B2Sk
Now, if he had have spoke "with much adieu," to me, id never have known any better

So, i googled it, because i didnt recognize he was wrong. I guess the proper is " ado "
We both learned something new.

That movie is hilarious.

Wow, cant wait to see some pics of that process! This thing is going to be pretty amazing once finished.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
^ That's what I meant. Thanks! I Got it tipped last sunday. Talk about a pucker factor process. I'll get photos this afternoon.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Here is where we are at...

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Fixed the floor pan, I was having trouble dialing the mig in but one I got help from my pops, it all worked out.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Are you using a gas mig? Looks like you either need to turn up the gas or heat. Wipe down the metal with acetone, before you weld.

Turning up the heat and slowing down the wire speed may help you. Once you get used to tacking sheet metal, you’ll notice the tack lays very flatly. You’ll lose the the bubblegum look... not a lot of grinding will be needed.

It’s likely fine, but looking at the other side of the weld, do you have good heat penetration?

You’ll get the hang of it. Hopefully, you’re almost done. It didn’t seem like you had a lot to fix.

-Todd

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If that comment is directed at me, I definitely have a clue... I drive old Rabbits. Rust repair occurs with every car. Thanks for playing mother hen...

-Todd

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
At first I was hitting it too cool after grinding away the original welds (very much stacked) and having my dad (professional welder) help me adjust, my welds did lay much flatter. I am using a gas MIG, he suggested I should get flux core as it would be softer, but I had already invested in the gas, was more than half way done and figured I would just get on with it. I did end up having to grind much more, but I have the advantage of free grinding/cutting disks at my disposal. I did keep blowing holes due to the pitting turned to holes so it took a while to find good weldable metal in most places. Once I got the welder dialed in, my welds pooled much better.

The big part is done (floor pan) now the difficult parts ensue. I have cut out a couple areas, one is a small 2" square on the passengers side rocker panel where it meets the underlying frame and just behind the panel with the jack support is. The other is on the same side, rear floor pan behind the seat rail where it curves up vertical and ties into the rear seat support and just below the door frame. I will take photos when I get home today.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
What are your guys' opinions on the following areas? I do have the same pieces I obtained a while ago where the "T" portion is not bent, would it be smarter to cut out the dented existing "vertical" part of the T and graft a new one in? Or to grind away at the rust and "rust proof" the existing areas?

Driver Side

Passenger Side

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
What do you guys think about DINITROL for undercoating replacement? I was going to use Master Coat.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
What are opinions on seam sealer as well? I have found PRO FORM

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I find it interesting that your dad says to use flux core... I’ve never heard that recommendation, for sheet metal.

Something you can try for thin areas, like pinholes, is a backer like a welding spoon. They work, but tend to get hot fast. I ended up using a 6” bar of 1”x1” brass bar stock, from an old project. It worked a lot better, since it was a better heat sink.

With enough practice, you’ll definitely get the hang of it. There ends up being a lot of tricks that you’ll learn.

I’ve used Dominion brushable seam sealer and Dynatron in a caulk tube. Both are solvent based. When my car was at the body shop, they didn’t want to use what I had. They had a 2k seamsealer, they used. It was likely 3M.

-Todd

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Todd, yeah I got the pin holes all figured out. What do you recommend on the T-part of the floor pan? Keep as is, wire wheel rust off and paint over or graft the ones I have on there? What about your opinion on dinitrol?

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Which starter should I go with? I have a CTN trans, which uses the bushing. So The B4/MK3 starter or I have heard of an ALH auto starter without that trans bushing will work?

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
I mean so long as the mk4 starter works, I guess that's all I care about.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Happy Birthday to me!

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Well its certainly been a minute. Not a whole lot to update. I found my floor pan piece and have cut it to fit. At this point I'm still sack g up for new paint.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Well its certainly been a minute. Not a whole lot to update. I found my floor pan piece and have cut it to fit. At this point I'm still sack g up for new paint.