jhax's Built ALH into a MK2 Golf thread

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
High temp primer and tractor paint from Tractor supply, rattle can. Thanks!

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Small update. Put the new timing belt on and the engine rotated as an assembly for the first tie today! I am really cherishing working on an engine and staying clean doing it.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, got the turbo mounted...sort of. Turns out i will need to clock the cold side in order for the turbo to clear the motor mount. Does anyone have any suggestions on a push style vacuum actuator for the gtc1549?

Thanks,
Justin

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
After doing some research. I found the easiest, cheapest and best method of rust removal. Electrolysis, grab some scrap steal (NOT STAINLESS), fill a bucket of water, grab some Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda from the grocery store (laundry soap aisle), and a battery trickle charger.

Fill the bucket with water, and use 1Tbsp of soda per 1 gallon of water and mix well.
Place the scrap steal in the bucket and place the rusty part on the opposite side of the buck without touching the scrap. Clamp the negative side of the trickle charger on the part and the positive on the scrap and wait 24-48 hours.

Result

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh wow, I didnt think of that. You mean bake it after soaking it?

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
You planning on ceramic coating that manifold? It'll flash rust in no time, otherwise.

Never had long term luck with engine paints. They all burn off.

-Todd

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
I wish I could afford ceramic coating. I was thinking shoot it with a high temp primer, likely the same product the block was painted with. Why not paint it while its still hot? Or at least warm so the porosity allows the paint to get all up in there?

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ceramic doesn't have to be expensive. The technology isn't new, so prices are coming down. I've used Jet Hot, Swain, Thermo Coat, generics, etc., with Jet Hot being the most expensive.

Cerakote has a home kit, that seems to get good reviews.

Something I learned about all ceramics is, they will fail if the car is not driven. The parts need to be heat cycled to get rid of the moisture. If moisture is present for an extended period of time, rust forms and lifts the coating.

No clue about your suggestion with the paint. That's going to be one of those YMMV.

-Todd

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Ah, well in that case, the final product wont be ready in at least a few years so maybe ceramics isnt the smartest decision now.

Justin

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Probably right. I remember a friend's ceramic coated manifolds rusted through, just sitting in the garage. They weren't even installed on the heads. These were Jet Hot. I also had Jet Hot fail.

-Todd

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Alright folks I have been doing some research on this electrolysis thing and it seems like what I want to do is apply a coat of phosphoric acid post drying in order to create surface rust and immediately hit the parts with some acid etch primer for the best results as per this site. Now I am a home brewer and noticed that the sterilization product known as starsan is 50% phosphoric acid (http://www.jstrack.org/brewing/msds/starsan.pdf). Could I use this in a solution of water and obtain successful results?

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
That MSDS is weird. They account for 75% of the compound buy have a parenthetical 75% listed for the phosphoric acid. I don't know what the other acid is or what the other 25% of the compound is, but paint can be really finicky so I'd advise the real stuff.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Sounds good, thanks!

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Phosphoric acid to create rust? Typically, you acid etch to get rid of rust. Etch primer has acid in it, but if you've acid etched, you don't need etch primer.

It doesn't need to be phosphoric acid. I've also used oxalic acid, vinegar, etc. Phosphoric acid will leave a white chalky residue that needs to be removed.

If you were closer, I'd give you a gallon of acid.

-Todd

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not sure where you're reading that it causes rust. Post 2 in your link, mentions it removing rust. Your original link also mentions acid removing rust. Acid will turn rust black.

Seems counter productive to wash parts down with water after etched, but many manufacturers recommend this, or a solvent such as acetone, paint thinner, etc.

I've acid etched parts for years. My build thread mentions acid being used in some areas. I usually only use it in warner months. When it's cold, it takes forever to work.

Blast cabinet is way easier....

-Todd

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Alright acetone it shall be

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
I finally got the turbo mounted! My only question is if I need to rotate the CHRA for oil draining purposes? Or will it drain fine where it is?

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Wiring has begun! At $14 for an ecu and harness, I couldnt pass it up. A couple of reassurances. Since Im running a race pipe I do not need N18 and N239 correct?

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
The angle is a little steep, but the rotation of the engine should help. If you're doing hill pulls day-in and day-out, it's in a perfect spot :p

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Angle of what now? greengeeker, thank you for videos of the harness removal I used them with great success!

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Ahh i see. Well I can rotate it more so its closer to ground perpendicular to the ground.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Chra on that turbo rotates super easy, you'll have to pull the clocking pin but that's easy.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Was that a scrap yard or a salvage yard? $14 sounds way too cheap... my local yard would have wanted at least $50 for the ECU.

-Todd

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Local LKQ had 40% off and with the $6 core charge I had a bx full of wires from my CE2 swap. Typically a wiring harness from there is ~$25.