jhax's Built ALH into a MK2 Golf thread

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Thanks! I bought them long ago. Unfortunately the body guy got a bunch of crap on them. Eventually a re-powdercoat is in order.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
Okay I have a temporary windshield washer solution. I originally plugged my power wire into C/6, which was incorrect. I moved it to C/7 which is front washer/wiper ground, no go, plugged it back into C/2 front washer power. If i push forward on the selector, the rear motor wipes like it's washing and the nozzles spray up front.

deathtrap

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 1992 Golf GL = Future ALH candidate
hey man, grats on getting this running this year.
couple of dumb questions from my end:
I know you used B4 Passat front cross member and MK3/B4 TDI front motor mount bracket.
What did you use for the rear mount and did you use a VNT turbo?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
What cluster are you using in this?

Looks nice BTW, did you get the front control arms changed back to Mk2?

Steve

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you, I am running a mk3 cluster. Works like a charm I have been sending some logs to @burpod who has informed me that my actuator arm on my GTC1549VZ turbo is too short, causing my actual boost to be way above requested. I took off the actuator to find that there is no physical adjustment for this particular arm. It seems like boost requested is done via vcds, @Owain@malonetuning I know johnjackson had the same turbo and you guys worked on it. How did you account for this turbo on an ALH?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Thank you, I am running a mk3 cluster. Works like a charm I have been sending some logs to @burpod who has informed me that my actuator arm on my GTC1549VZ turbo is too short, causing my actual boost to be way above requested. I took off the actuator to find that there is no physical adjustment for this particular arm. It seems like boost requested is done via vcds, @Owain@malonetuning I know johnjackson had the same turbo and you guys worked on it. How did you account for this turbo on an ALH?
I only asked because I believe the late Mk2 diesel clusters, the CE2 ones, will work with the electronic TDI cars.

Hope you get your turbo actuator arm situation fixed.

Steve

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Ah, yeah I opted for mk3 just because it was more readily available. And I actually used B4 control arms which are shorter than MK3 believe it or not. I stuck with them as opposed to going back to mk2. I purchased a fender roller which helped, also an alignment really helped. Thank you Steve, I hope I get it sorted as well.

This is what I have found so far regarding this turbo and its adjustment:

EDIT: The bolts that need adjusting are the bolts on the SIDE of the bracket which contain slotted holes as can be seen in this photo.

I don't suspect an ALH ecu has this measuring block so it may not be relevant

I don't understand what this person means when they say that the adjustment is in the "three bolts" I didn't attempt to turn the bolts (studs protruding from the bottom of the diaphragm housing), but wouldn't tightening the nuts onto the bolts affect the length?

Last edited:

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Alright based on how the turbo is currently oriented, I believe that in order to Lengthen the arm I need to clock the turbo clockwise.

This is as far as the fine adjustments will allow me to go. Note the paint is where it was originally.

If I am correct I can clock the turbo further in a clockwise manner to give me extra length.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
Last edited: