Jetta Wagon - getting the configuration I want

rwolff

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
VW finally updated their "build-your-own" page to show the Jetta Wagon as available in Canada, and some of the stuff I want is shown as "not available". Only the GLS is available here, with fewer colours than in the States.

It's my understanding that all Jetta Wagons sold in North America are built at the same factory, so in theory any component that can be ordered someplace in North America will be there. Any ideas on placing a special order? What I'm looking for is the following:

- Red exterior. In another thread here, someone's 2003 was sent back to the port because the 2002s were still on the lot, and the photos showed it as a red wagon. According to the U.S. site, red is available in the GL (i.e. "no hole in the roof" version). Would I be able to order Canadian-spec "guts" in a red body?

- Cloth upholstery (I hate both velour and leather). One complication is that I want the heated seats (standard in Canada). Is the heating element a separate pad, or is it sewn into the cover (due to needle holes being permanent, leather is more likely to use a separate pad than velour)? Would I be able to get GL seats installed, with the heating element in place? The alternative would be either re-upholstery (expensive) or seat covers - does anyone have a good source (either mail order or store in the Greater Toronto area) for cloth seat covers for the Jetta Wagon?

One thing I like about my current vehicle is the 2-tone interior (grey seats, black everything else). Any time I've driven a car with a light-coloured dashboard, the reflection in the windshield was distracting, so black is good. On the other hand, black seats get HOT in summer, so grey is good. If I can get the GL seats, would I be able to get the grey ones (supposedly available on some body colours, including black) with the rest of the interior being black? If I need to go with re-upholstery or seatcovers, it's not an issue, since that can be any colour.

It just seems logical to me that if all the parts I want are available at the factory that builds my car, it should be possible to write a build order that includes them (assuming no emissions or crash safety changes - I'd like to get the 130 HP PD, but they wouldn't put that in a car coming here), even if the "geniuses" who decided what people would want didn't think anyone wanted component "X" taken from bin "A" instead of bin "B".

VW JUNKY

Veteran Member
The red wagon that came in and went back to port was mine and now have it and I have put 2k miles on it so far. It is great!! If you order a car the dealers will look at other dealers stock and then see what is on the boat. I ordered mine in March and had to wait for the 2003 cars. I love mine and it was worth the wait. I have the black leather seats and love them. Easy to clean up and the heated part is great. In summer down here in North Carolina it is really hot. I almost alway use the key to lower all the windows before I get in the car. Seats really have not been a problem being to hot in the sun unless you leave the sunroof open and let them bake. Have fun with ordering. I figure if you got to pay for a car get what you want! later, VWJ