Jetta Wagon’s Rear Hatch Won’t Close

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
2003 Jetta GLS wagon.

After loading groceries into the back today, I noticed that the rear hatch was closing but stayed unlocked. When I use my fob to lock the car, the red alarm LED doesn’t go on.
From a quick look I didn’t see anything that was broken.

Is there a relatively easy fix? Or do I need to take the mechanism apart, which I’m not very skilled in? I’d prefer having a car that locks all around.

Thanks.

Mpaw

Veteran Member
TDI
Caddy 2005 1,9 105 ps; Polo 2015 90PS Bluemotion, T5 2.5 5cyl
sometimes I get weird things happening with my 'tailgate' lock - if you have a key try opening / closing etc. with key and see if that makes a difference to electronic locking

irvingj

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon TDI (PD/BEW)
When you say "closing but stayed unlocked," does that mean it latches (and will stay closed) but all you have to do to open it is put your hand under there and trip the rubber switch to open? Or does that mean it is not latched and could open by lifting anywhere?

Depending on your situation, I may be able to help; had to replace my entire rear switch last year.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
That means the sensor doesn't sense it being fully latched. Might be able to move the mechanism around so it closes more fully, otherwise, replacing it is the only way.

irvingj

Veteran Member
TDI
A)) OK, hope I'm not repeating something you already know, but the way that system works (same as the door locks in my 2015 MB Sprinter, BTW) is that opening the rear gate is a two-step process:

1) operate the arming switch -- either the switch on the driver's door, or the key fob rear gate switch. All that does is "arm" the system, for a finite period of time -- maybe 15-20 sec.
2) Then you operate the switch under the rubber cover in the back, and that triggers the solenoid to operate the latch and release the door. If you attempt to open the rear gate without first operating one of those two switches, nothing will happen as there's no power to that solenoid; the system must be armed first.

So -- IF the switch in your driver's door (or the key fob?) is in an "operate" position all the time, the latch will close and latch but never lock, as the system is always armed -- any lifting on the rubber and the solenoid will activate. (Does leaving it alone for a minute lock the liftgate?)

The reason I say this is because my driver's door window switch assembly got flaky last year, causing the driver's window to not operate correctly. Being the cheap so-and-so that I am, I pulled it and was amazed at how much crap had filtered down into the assembly. After cleaning it out, it's worked fine.

Yes, the rear gate and fuel door switches are lower down, but I'm certain they're the same type of switch and could fail for the same reason.

B)) The other fail point, as mentioned above, could be in the mechanism itself. There's a rod in there that can become corroded and not fully retract to its OFF/Locked position, however that generally results in the rear lift NOT latching. I ended up replacing the entire mechanism, but also had to insert a resistor -- apparently new liftgate latch mechanisms have a lower resistance than my 2005 had. Whatever the reason, it simply would not work unless I added that resistor.

If you PM me, I can provide some pics via email-- adding pics here is too much of a hassle.

Hope this may help--

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
The problem appears to be somewhat inconsistent. After opening and slamming the hatch door a few times, it locked normally a couple times. But I don’t want it to be unreliable.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
The problem appears to be somewhat inconsistent. After opening and slamming the hatch door a few times, it locked normally a couple times. But I don’t want it to be unreliable.

2 things I can think of, 1. is there's a microswitch on the actual catch, if it's not working the car might not know the tailgate is shut so isn't locking it. It could be the actual switch or the mechanism is sticking a bit.

2. You can get broken wires in the rubber boots for the wiring from the chassis to the tailgate. Bit of a pain to do but you'd have to peel the rubber boot back and have a look.

irvingj

Veteran Member
TDI
In my situation, any time I needed to open the rear gate I had to use the key in the rear keyhole to manually operate the latch --that was the only way I could open it-- but it did it latch & lock OK when closing it. (Sorry, I was mistaken above in post #6 -- gettin' old!) Does your liftgate operate --can you close & lock it-- with the key? That's why I was wondering about the door switch/arming system; my window issue was intermittent, on the "auto-down" or "auto up" feature, which was traced to the door switch.

Seatman is correct, there is a microswitch in there, a Cherry PBT GF20. On my rear gate, the metal rod that passes through the handle mechanism was quite corroded, which prevented it from making a full return and tripping that microswitch. But again, in my situation the gate did lock each time after closing, IIRC.

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I have the same issue. I sprayed some stuff in there and I must slam it pretty hard to engage the little switch. Lately, sometimes when I get in, the little bug graphic comes on for the trunk.

irvingj

Veteran Member
TDI
Talk about hassles... here's one pic of the innards.... Hopefully this may clarify things. Only took me ten minutes to get this pic into the system.....

irvingj

Veteran Member
TDI
Not a problem. If you're inclined, take a drive from Ipswich up into sunny (?!?) NH and I can help. Taking apart the liftgate plastic trim and accessing the handle/switch mechanism is pretty basic. (BTDT!)