Jetta V driven

NOVAJettaWagon

TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2005, Black
I got to drive the 5 cyl Jetta V yesterday. You guys are going to be very impressed. It is a far cry from mine (Jetta IV wagon). The Materials are better, the drive is better, the preformance is better...not to mention a usable back seat. No TDI version available to drive yet...I'll post as soon as I get a chance to see one.

NOVAJettaWagon

TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2005, Black
don't know...all I do know is it's a helluva lot smoother, quieter, and more powerful than the current 2.slow...not to mention it sounds a lot better. It actually came from the Lamborghini Gallardio (spelling?). The five is half a bank of the V10 that is in that thing.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
How does a 5 cyl engine keep balanced?
Nothing special is required. A 5-cylinder in-line engine has good primary and secondary balance (see note below). The fact that all five pistons are going in different directions actually helps with the balancing. remember, the crankpins all point in different directions 72 degrees apart.

Without balance shafts, an inline 4-cylinder engine has perfect primary balance but poor second-order-harmonic balance (there is a "buzz" at twice crankshaft rotation frequency). A 5-cylinder engine has a slight end-to-end "rocking couple" at crankshaft rotation frequency.

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
Drove our Bimmer with a straight six yesterday. Yes, in the snow - another NB timing belt project - once every 3 years or so. It is VERY smooth. Just wish they would've geared in higher.

Is this '5' a turbo?

GotDiesel?

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
So is it an I-5 or a VR-5? Audi had I-5s a while back.

Just how did you get a drive a month or two early? Are you in the industry?

Strack

Veteran Member
FYI- The new 5 cyl Jetta V uses a timing chain instead of a belt which should last the life of the engine. This is a big plus in reducing operating costs in the long run. I wonder if we will ever realize a true cost savings with the tdi? Between higher initial purchase price, timing belts, MAF replacements, it may be cheaper to but a new gasser?

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Just drove it today...

Still hate car in silver. I drove Package 1 in Platinum Gray.

Some comments:
Driving:
Night and day difference. It drives so much nicer...a nice balance between comfort and sportiness. Steering weight feels just right (not light like the A4's...and you can change the steering to one of 14 other settings via VAG-COM). Handles so much better.

60-110 mph is pretty effortless. Though wind noise a problem.

It drives like the last gen Acura 3.2TL.
Interior:
Controls are more convenient, especially the radio. it's got the side parking lights and automatic light control also. ... it's a lot nicer. A lot more roomier also. The rear armrest has the 2001-2003 style cupholders...

You can change the bulbs without difficulty!!!! (I think they are all H7's).

Gotta drive the A3 when it comes out.

scooter

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000, Black/Black Cloth
The New Jetta Roadshow was in town this weekend so I had a chance to see and drive the new Jetta V. The highlight for me was the much improved interior. I drove a "package 2" equipt car that was basically loaded. Fit, finish and materials all are a definite step up from the the previous version. It felt and looked more like a BMW than a VW. I let my kids sit in the back seat to see how rear seat room had improved. With the drivers seat in my driving position, there is 2-3 more inches of leg room in the back than the A4. They definitely got the interior right on the new Jetta.

I am still getting used to the exterior. I think with the right set of wheels, it would look really nice. I will say that it looked better in person than it does in the pictures.

The driving experience overall was very nice and definitely quieter. It feels very solid. The ride is firm but not harsh. I only had a chance to drive it a mile or so but from my experience, I would have to say that the ride quality is better than the A4.

Overall, I would say that my experience was encouraging. With a chipped TDI and DSG, this would be a a very nice car.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
FYI- The new 5 cyl Jetta V uses a timing chain instead of a belt which should last the life of the engine. This is a big plus in reducing operating costs in the long run. I wonder if we will ever realize a true cost savings with the tdi? Between higher initial purchase price, timing belts, MAF replacements, it may be cheaper to but a new gasser?
Not a chance. The MAF issue appears to be fixed - I have yet to hear of a P-D with a MAF problem. The difference in fuel consumption, at current fuel prices, recovers the initial price difference in about 50,000 km and the cost of a timing belt job in about 25,000 km. By the time you need the timing belt job, you are long past being ahead of the game.

And ... you might wanna talk to someone with an older VR6 about timing chains - or more specifically, the guides and the tensioners. The inline-5 has the same infernal arrangement whereby if any of all that wears out, you have to pull the tranny in order to access it. If you thought a timing belt job was expensive ... ! ! ! Maybe this is how VW does their planned obsolescence: when the guides wear out, the cost of replacement will exceed what the vehicle is likely to be worth at the time ...

sinneD

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2006 Reflex Silver
I did the roadshow today too! Fletcher-Jones VW in downtown Chicago. I could not get it up to speed, traffic was horrible! The 5-cyl had pep and umph. It was interesting to drive.

I was really impressed with the new model. HIDS, FIS, Climatronic, a NEW millenium radio! Blinkers in the mirrors, autodimmind mirrors, integrated W-8 style light.

Cars like this are going to put Kennedy, SVTWEB and Lito out of business (sorry guys, the car is tRicK3d out)!

But all tricked out, at $26,000+ its a bit much.

The sales guys insist that they will have TDI's on the first truck... yeah right, I am not going to hold my breath.

I was not too keen on the big chrome smile, but a front license plate will put a gap in that shiny grin.

vchaudha

Veteran Member
TDI
3 TDIs
HI all
Just test drove it today at Valenti in CT - really nice, fully decked/ optioned out - for about $26K (package 2 has about $4K tag) but it rode really nice (took it upto 95mph really quickly) interior leather finish, more legroom, dual zone automatic climate control and the ability to use the automatic or manual (6 speed) - liked it a lot
Vinny

Moo Car

Veteran Member
I drove a 2.5 tonight and loved it. The interior blue and red lights at night are even cooler that the old Jetta. Everything is well laid out with the exception of the cruise control, which is a little stick that’s on the steering column (it looks like the tilt wheel control on a old Ford). The ride is smooth but still firm. The seats are very comfortable and I even had to move the seat forward (I’m 6’ 4”) to drive. The dealer said they would have four TDI’s by July.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The roadshow was here in Massachusetts today, last stop the guys said. I drove a Jetta with the tiptronic and thought it was OK. It feels a little big, but the ride and handling combination is great. The engine didn't speak to me; I think they've got the drive-by-wire adjusted so you get a lot of go with the first touch of the throttle, and I hated the tiptronic. I just don't see the point, and as a pure automatic it hunts around too much for me.

The amusing thing about the drive was when we returned to the dealership my roadshow guide (who spends half the year in Germany--he's an engineer) asked what I was driving. When I pointed to my TDI Wagon he got out and went over to look at it. Another road show guy joined him and asked if he could have a ride. I let him drive it and he couldn't stop saying how much he liked the torque, the smooth throttle response (thanks, Jeff) and the ride and handling. And he was amazed by the power (chip only, no injectors).

When he returned he went into the dealership and told the other guys from the road show about my car and two of them came out and asked for a ride. They loved the car, too. The sales manager commented that I was giving more test drives than the road show. And when I left one of the guys asked for contact info so he could ask me about TDIs because he wants one.

So I guess I'll stick with my '02.

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver (Sold). 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon Tiptronic (daughter's)
I don't see how the steer by-wire system can have "feel" even if it is accurate.

For those who have driven any MKV in N.A or elsewhere, is there much feedback coming through the steering?

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver (Sold). 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon Tiptronic (daughter's)
The TDI should still be less to operate!

There's about a $1000 price spread btw comparably equipped models. Let's use EPA HWY estimates at $2.00 / gallon. In a 5 speed manual, the 2.5 rates 30 mpg hwy the TDI rates 46.

At 100,000 miles the 2.5, (at 30mpg HWY) will have consumed 3,333 gallons at $6,667. The TDI will have consumed 2174 gallons at $4347. The TDI will also have consumed one TB parts and labor at say $800.

So at 100,000 miles the TDI has already caught up in operating expense. It has overcome the $1000 price spread and $800 TB with over $2300 in fuel savings.

Every 100,000 miles thereafter a TDI saves you about $1,300 @ $2.00 gallon, factoring in $1000 for a major TB change.

What if fuel goes to $5.00 gallon? What about $10? Even at $3/gallon (which many CA consumers are currently paying), a TDI will consume ~$6500 in fuel against $10,000 for a 2.5 over 100K miles.

In summary, if you can get a value edition 2.5, you could make a good case for the 2.5 in a short term ownership proposition. However, if fuel prices go through the roof, the TDI will be the only sensible solution.

I see purchasing a TDI as a hedge against a potentially volatile and unknown future wrt to fuel prices. Last I heard, you can't make your own gasoline.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I don't see how the steer by-wire system can have "feel" even if it is accurate.

For those who have driven any MKV in N.A or elsewhere, is there much feedback coming through the steering?
I think the electro-mechanical (as the engineer called it) feels fine. You still have plenty of feel in the steering. I had a Toyota MR2 Spyder with electric power steering and it was fine, too. I frankly don't feel the A4s have a ton of steering feel.

Thrwngstns

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
I'm fairly certain that a true steer-by-wire system would not be legal in the U.S. You are still mechanically linked to the wheels. It's electronic ASSIST replacing hydraulic assist.

b6busdriver

I'm fairly certain that a true steer-by-wire system would not be legal in the U.S. You are still mechanically linked to the wheels. It's electronic ASSIST replacing hydraulic assist.
Not to be smart but why not? There hundreds if not thousands of airplanes flying over our heads using fly by wire.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Not to be smart but why not? There hundreds if not thousands of airplanes flying over our heads using fly by wire.
Just guessing here.... drive-by-wire doesn't give you input (feeling) about the road you're on. You can tell by feel if the road is wet, slick, gravel etc. etc. and you adjust your driving accordingly.

Thrwngstns

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
I can't really answer your question as to why. But I have seen references to the regulations in various places.

TheLongshot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon '03 Reflex Silver
Since no one answered this question.

Does the new Millenium radio play MP3's like most of the cheap Korean cars ?
According to the guy, the radio is able to play MP3s on CD.

I also like the fact that you can choose between XM and Sirius with the new radio.

Jason