Jetta truck on "Lost in Transmission"

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
Was posted on Facebook Thursday before the episode.

Actually , car was $1500 and Kit is $3500

Here's the kit
http://www.smythkitcars.com
I'd hate to help you with your math, but $1500+$3500=$5000.........

Now, where did the beautiful paint job, wheels, suspension ect come from, and their cost! Lol

Smyth posted on FB about this if I recall correctly, several
Months ago.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I'm seriously thinking about doing this to my 2001 (the original "jettawreck"). It has only about 140K on the chassis, but I bought it from salvage when it had 33K on it. It had been in a light roll over and the restore process meant it had some bodywork on the rear quarters and roof (thanks mostly to roof racks on it at the time). Front fenders and hood were replaced with new/aftermarket. several years of MN winters and the salt are doing a number on the rockers and rear quarters, so the Smyth kit would replace a lot of that. It would make a good utility vehicle (the '01 has had a hitch on it for years) in addition to the other TDI sedan project.
Talked to him yesterday and they are very busy now. Figures about $350 freight to get it to me. Its not very heavy, but it's a big crate.

deejaaa

Veteran Member
TDI
FOR SALE, 2002 Jetta GLS, 5 speed
I'm seriously thinking about doing this to my 2001 (the original "jettawreck").........
if you do, post a link in this thread so i will be able to follow.
i would like to do it also but i use the back seat too much for the kids.
glad to see Smyth got this up and running.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
if you do, post a link in this thread so i will be able to follow.
i would like to do it also but i use the back seat too much for the kids.
glad to see Smyth got this up and running.
OK.
If I do the project, I will order it this fall and do the work next spring. Too many VW projects right now. I still have to do the rear ended 2003 TDI swap into the 1.8 chassis.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
My kit is here and the car is ready for it (2" lift, big brakes, big injectors, big tires, 6 speed etc).
I'm gonna put some details on my website soon.

White Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL June 2012 build date Purchased 09/14/14
Any preference on what year of Jetta (99 -- 2004) to use for this project? I will buying a Jetta for this project. I can find a lot of gas powered Jetta's with anything from lot of miles to whole lot of miles. Thanks for the suggestions.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
He said its a bit less to mess with if the car is w/o the curtain airbags. Not sure if my 2001 has just bags in the pillars between front and rear doors or if it has roof curtain bags. A private individual can "eliminate" them and install some resisters to keep from throwing the AB warning light.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
Plan was to start today but I recieved some injection pump parts I was waiting on for a different project and I'm getting a '13 Passat towed in with a full tank of gasoline. So it might not happen. Friday is open at the moment but im waiting to hear back from a guy about an Audi A3 timing belt job. That's how it goes. No time for my own projects.