Jetta TDI under investigation for fuel leaks

Sankar

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW TDI / DSG
I got a call from the dealer and took the car in last Friday. I was told that a second recall was also due - an "ECM reprogram". I've taken the car in before to get the DSG recall done so am not sure what this was. I can feel no difference in the way the car drives after the recall.

MarylandJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I just got a recall notice for my 2010 TDI

It's to replace the #2 fuel line and take some other measures that, the notice implies, will prevent the breakdown of some parts that lead to fuel system contamination. It's recall 23J9/V5. Anyone else get this? COuld this be a fix to the dreaded issue? (fingers crossed!)

vdubdezl

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI 5MT, 05 Honda Odyssey EX-L
Just got our letter of recall on ours too. Got to get the service done also and hope I don't have to strangle the bozos!
Got our recall done with no issues. Really surprised that all they did was put little rubber "clamps" around the lines and they weren't all "tied" together like on most diesels with several fuel lines.

tdaaviation

TDI
2009 Six speed manual
# 2 diesel fuel injector line

Having my #2 fuel injector line replaced on Thursday as per VW recall dated Oct 4, 2011. Tech said it would only take fifteen minutes for the fix if I was at the door when they open at 7:30. Has any one else had the fix as of yet and will they have to prime the injector after they replace the line?
Thx
tdaavaition
09 Candy White Jetta TDI

tdaaviation

TDI
2009 Six speed manual
checking VIN

Just went to VW official web site and there is a place to imput your vin for recalls, sure enough my came up for the #2 diesel fuel line replacement.

tdaaviation

wafinator

TDI
2011 Jetta
When I took my 2011 in they initially only did the dampers. Later when I got home I re-read the recall letter which clearly states "the #2 fuel line will also be replaced". I immediately called the dealer and questioned why it hadn't been done, and they said it was inspected and was fine. I read them the recall letter and noted that nowhere does it say that the dealer is to make any kind of determination, the line is to be replaced, plain and simple. They repeated themselves, we went back and forth a few more times before the service manager was consulted, and he finally admitted that there had been a "misunderstanding", he had read his instructions wrong and to bring it back in. After they replaced the line as the letter stated that they would, the service manager admitted that there were several other TDIs out there which they had done wrong as well.

I've read some other accounts where owners mention that only the dampers were installed and was wondering if anyone else has called their dealer out on that?

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
If the car is new, I'd mark the bad line with paint so you'll KNOW it's been replaced. Then again, a dealer that shady might just put another bad line in the car which was removed from another car. Dang! I love my VWs and think they're great. But God help me if I get one with a problem! I can't stand the dealers and love that we have this forum!

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
They repeated themselves, we went back and forth a few more times before the service manager was consulted, and he finally admitted that there had been a "misunderstanding", he had read his instructions wrong and to bring it back in. After they replaced the line as the letter stated that they would, the service manager admitted that there were several other TDIs out there which they had done wrong as well.
This is response #17 in the book of Typical VW Dealer Responses.

> Luke <

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2011 TDi DSG
Fm > Wafinator
I read them the recall letter and noted that nowhere does it say that the dealer is to make any kind of determination, the line is to be replaced, plain and simple. They repeated themselves, we went back and forth a few more times before the service manager was consulted, and he finally admitted that there had been a "misunderstanding", he had read his instructions wrong and to bring it back in.​
Your point is well made: there is no 'option', the line is to be replaced.
I suggest checking your work order, to determine if it was listed to be done. If it is, then they got $ credit for the work -- though it was not done.

timwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen Stick
When I took my 2011 in they initially only did the dampers. Later when I got home I re-read the recall letter which clearly states "the #2 fuel line will also be replaced". I immediately called the dealer and questioned why it hadn't been done, and they said it was inspected and was fine. I read them the recall letter and noted that nowhere does it say that the dealer is to make any kind of determination, the line is to be replaced, plain and simple. They repeated themselves, we went back and forth a few more times before the service manager was consulted, and he finally admitted that there had been a "misunderstanding", he had read his instructions wrong and to bring it back in. After they replaced the line as the letter stated that they would, the service manager admitted that there were several other TDIs out there which they had done wrong as well.

I've read some other accounts where owners mention that only the dampers were installed and was wondering if anyone else has called their dealer out on that?
I got two recall notices, one which indicated a #2 fuel line replacement and 4 dampeners, and the second which stated that only dampeners were needed. My dealer did not replace the #2 fuel line, and the service rep indicated they double-checked with VW for my VIN.

I really can't blame the dealer if VW isn't sure what service is needed. It looks like VW can't decide which VINs get the fuel line replacement, and which don't.

timwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
Your point is well made: there is no 'option', the line is to be replaced.
I suggest checking your work order, to determine if it was listed to be done. If it is, then they got $ credit for the work -- though it was not done.
..or VW changes their mind, and sends a second notice with different recall instructions, like they did with me.

> Luke <

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2011 TDi DSG
Good Morning Tim:
I'm just confused--how does VW 'change their mind', when there is an official document stipulating which vehicles are to be addressed. Which for the dampeners, and/or which ones are to have the #2 line replaced.
The change must come initially from NHTSA. It's that document I'd like to see, for confirmation. With that in mind, I have a problem with this picture as being presented by the dealership.:confused:

Last edited:

timwagon

Veteran Member
TDI
Good Morning Tim:
I'm just confused--how does VW 'change their mind', when there is an official document stipulating which vehicles are to be addressed. Which for the dampeners, and/or which ones are to have the #2 line replaced.
The change must come from NHTSA. With that in mind, I have a problem with this picture as being presented by the dealership.:confused:
I'm also confused, but I did get two notices from VW, and only one stipulated the #2 line replacement. VW obviously has issues in handling the recall notifications correctly.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I'm confused too, what the heck are "dampeners"? Guys standing around with spray bottles?

One damps vibration with a damper. You dampen things with water!

LOL
In my opinion, you should be correct. However, VW calls them dampeners as in devices that dampen. It is confusing, but it is what it is. What is important is that they are little rubber looking things that clamp onto the fuel lines and they add mass to the fuel lines to change the resonant frequency of the fuel lines to a frequency that is not present in the regen process and they damp (muffle) vibrations. What they are called seems to vary depending on who is naming them. The name is not as important as the function. Nobody is trying to make the fuel lines wet (as in dampen), but another usage of the word dampen is to dampen vibrations. Hence, the term dampeners. It is unusual, but it is not entirely incorrect.

From Dictionary.com: (see definition #2)
damp·en

   [dam-puh
n]
verb (used with object) 1.to make damp; moisten: to dampen a sponge.
2.to dull or deaden; depress: to dampen one's spirits.

Have Fun!

Don

rme

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I wonder what the german translation is for dampeners and what word they translated to english?

Stuart Little

Veteran Member
TDI
10' Jetta TDi Cup Edition - 6M, 02' TDI Beetle - 5M
Got my letter today... Almost a month after I had it done at VW while I was there getting a speaker replaced.

-Sent with Tapatalk via my iPad2 so probably with spelling errors!

orttauq

TDI
05.5 DSG
The #2 fuel line is not supposed to be replaced on every vehicle.

There are different criteria's to the recall. If you're vehicle doesn't fall under the correct criteria, you're not getting a #2 fuel line replaced. FYI, most vehicles are under the criteria to only receive fuel line dampeners! I've only seen a handful of line replacements on probably 100 cars so far.

TNriverjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6MT
The #2 fuel line is not supposed to be replaced on every vehicle.

There are different criteria's to the recall. If you're vehicle doesn't fall under the correct criteria, you're not getting a #2 fuel line replaced. FYI, most vehicles are under the criteria to only receive fuel line dampeners! I've only seen a handful of line replacements on probably 100 cars so far.
I just got mine done yesterday. I received fuel line vibration frequency modifiers only... Dampeners, dampers... Its all so confusing...:D

GaGolfSup

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Funny. I went to dictionary.com to look up damper and dampener. On the right side of the page guess what shows up? An ad for a 2012 Jetta.

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
I had the recall done yesterday. My engine had not leaked fuel. I took the opportunity at the coffee urn to ask the Service Mgr. about the recall. He estimated that his shop had performed more than 300 recalls to date and that he had not seen a case of failure since the recall started. He had seen two failures earlier.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Not ALL of the vehicles require a fuel line replacement. And not all of the letters state the fuel line WILL be replaced.

I just checked the campaign information and there are two different criteria that apply to the vehicles/

Criteria 01 says to replace the fuel line.
Criteria 02 says to install the fuel line dampers.

All vehicles should have criteria 02. SOME vehicles will have criteria 01 and 02. But not all vehicles will have criteria 01.

When the service advisor enters your VIN into the Vw database, it should tell them which critera apply to your car.

BEN721364

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 sedan
I took my 2009 Jetta TDI in for Safety Recall 23J9/V5. It covers installation of vibration dampers on all 4 fuel injection lines.

Not ALL of the vehicles require a fuel line replacement. And not all of the letters state the fuel line WILL be replaced.

I just checked the campaign information and there are two different criteria that apply to the vehicles/

All vehicles should have criteria 02. SOME vehicles will have criteria 01 and 02. But not all vehicles will have criteria 01.

When the service advisor enters your VIN into the Vw database, it should tell them which critera apply to your car.

i64w2gohome

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Funny. I went to dictionary.com to look up damper and dampener. On the right side of the page guess what shows up? An ad for a 2012 Jetta.
Got the recall letter, had mine done on Friday. 20 minutes, in/out and I probably made it longer than it needed to be because I wanted to see what was being done.

Just to add to the "damper/dampener" discussion, the tech also referred to the clips as "isolators."

Happy Holidays!

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Candy White Jetta, DSG

When the service adviser enters your VIN into the VW database, it should tell them which criteria apply to your car.

Absolutely correct. Dropped by my dealer yesterday and he put in my VIN and my car was a Criteria 02..........took about ten minutes and I was outta there. Nice.

fj40dave

TDI
2009 Jetta
Had ours done as well.
Tech also mentioned our ECM needed a reflash for updates....any one else heard of this, or had it done (and if so, what changed?)

Dave

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Got my golf done over the holidays. haven't taken the JSW in yet but it's also due for the 30K service. Niether of my cars were included in the original VIN listing that VW and NHTSA published but the service manager said that VW decided to recall all of the CR TDIs for the dampers.

oilsandman

TDI
2010 TDI 6M , 2001 TDI (sold @ 598K km)
Yes I've heard about it at my dealer 2 weeks ago and the service manager told me not to do that reflash because it created some problems. He didn't told what kind of problem nor what the flash was all about. So I haven't done it. I don't have any problems with my car so far.
(Stage 1 Unitronic chip, K&N air filter, deleted muffler)