Jetta TDI Trailer Towing Capacity

pastvast

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
I've had my 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI for almost exactly two years now. Have put 70K miles on it in that time and absolutely love it.

I recently inherited a piano from my grandmother's estate about three states away and am thinking of installing a Class 1 (smallest available) tow package on my Jetta, renting a small UHaul, and bringing the piano home.

I think the trailer and the piano together will weigh about 1250 lbs. My owners manual says the rated towing capacity is 1000 lbs, but I see in the FAQ's page that some people have reported towing up to 1500 lbs without incident. I want to do this without doing long term damage to my car (that I hope to drive for several hunredes of thousands of miles). Any suggestions or things to watch out for? What are other people's experiences?

Thanks a million

childishidealism

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-PD, 2005, Reflex Silver
Accelerate and stop slowly. Actually, just go slower in general.

I wouldn't let anyone play the piano while you are moving either. You also may have to get it tuned after you get it home. Start with scales and chords, sit up straight, wrists straight.

WolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
The tow rating on any vehicle is set conservatively for liability reasons. If you accelerate, brake, and corner gently, the stress on your vehicle will be minimized. The most important thing you can do while towing is maintain a cushion of space around you, namely, don't tailgate. I have personally towed loads that I would not recommend to anyone(my passat, pallet of sod, etc), but I was able to do it safely by following these guidelines. 1250 lbs will be a piece of cake. Just make sure your tongue weight is between 100-150 lbs by adusting the position of the load on the trailer. I absolutely love having a trailer. I can carry more stuff than a pickup truck and still get 40 mpg!

pastvast

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
UHaul has quoted me $350 out the door to install a hitch (includes tow package, trailer ball, electrical work).

I'm pretty handy with most things mechanical (not as good with electrical) but I don't have a lot of tools beyond a normal wrench and socket set to do an install myself, plus I'm worried about the electrical stuff.

Any suggestions of where to get one installed, or is the installation easier than I'm fearing? If it's easier, where would I buy the materials needed?

duckhunter854

TDI
2000 Jetta GL, Black
Local u-haul quoted me $169 for their hitch installed + $45 for adapter and light wiring. Look around some more for a good price. Also, most of the parts places (Autozone has it) carry a "Reese class I" hitch for about $150(part#77027), It takes about 2 weeks to get in. Add $40-50 for the labor at your local mechanic or do it yourself. It supposedly comes pre-drilled for the Jetta. Then add about $20 for an electrical adapter and wiring kit and boom, you're set.

pastvast

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Everyone, thanks for all the good advice so far on this project. I ordered the tow package from ETrailer.com and with the trailer ball and shipping included, had it here in just a few days. Was done with installation in about 45 minutes, and couldn't be happier.

Now I've just got to take care of the wiring. This is not my strong suit (i.e., please forgive my ignorance). I went down to the local AutoZone and told them I needed an Adaptor for the job. They said they couldn't even order one. ETrailer.com also didn't seem to have anything that would make the job especially easy. I see some other people here indicate that an adaptor can be purchased from NAPA.

How does the adaptor connect to the cars wiring system? Behind one of the panels in the back of the car, I found an un-used wiring plug. Is this the place an adapter would connect to?

Thanks so much for all the help.

Jwagen04

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, '04, Shadow Blue
Everyone, thanks for all the good advice so far on this project. I ordered the tow package from ETrailer.com and with the trailer ball and shipping included, had it here in just a few days. Was done with installation in about 45 minutes, and couldn't be happier.

Now I've just got to take care of the wiring. This is not my strong suit (i.e., please forgive my ignorance). I went down to the local AutoZone and told them I needed an Adaptor for the job. They said they couldn't even order one. ETrailer.com also didn't seem to have anything that would make the job especially easy. I see some other people here indicate that an adaptor can be purchased from NAPA.

How does the adaptor connect to the cars wiring system? Behind one of the panels in the back of the car, I found an un-used wiring plug. Is this the place an adapter would connect to?

Thanks so much for all the help.
I have a Jettta wagon as well ('04)and just installed a Hidden Hitch from etrailer as well. Go back to the site and search for your hitch again, and click on the link that says "hardwire your vehicle". It will then take you to a page of wiring kits.
web page

I bought the ModuLite Wiring kit @$49.95 which I thought was little high, but didn't take the time to look elsewhere. It uses a 12v source to power the trailer lights as opposed to just running off what's back there, which is not recommended. I tied into the 12v auxiliary power source (cigarette lighter socket) that is in the back. Then, just follow the instructions to splice into the tail light wiring to give the wiring module its input for all the functions.

Hey, I just seen you are in Northwest Ohio! I could help you with it if you want. I live near Toledo. It would be a piece of cake since I just did mine. Let me know!