Jetta TDI to Golf swap?

Foogie

TDI
03 Jetta TDI
I recently purchased an 03 Jetta TDI. I love the car however the paint is trash and the interior is anything but nice. Id love a car that was worth making look nice, but dont wanna spend the money on paint or wrap. My buddy is selling his 03 Golf for cheap. Its a gasser and I was wondering 1) Is it possible to even swap the engine between cars? 2) Is it going to be alot of work? or will it be relatively easy? 3) If possible, how long should the swap take? its my daily driver so im hoping it should be a fairly quick job.

Edit: I forgot to mention that my car is Manual and the golf is auto, so is it also possible to swap my tranny directly over? Also im hoping to not have to cut much or modify the car very much to make this work. Thanks!!

Last edited:

KyleMillione

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta, 03 Jetta
Unfortunately, you have to swap the entire body harness in a mk4. It’s gonna be a big project, also if he has features you don’t, it’s not gonna work out.

Foogie

TDI
03 Jetta TDI
Ah dang... I was really really hoping that was going to work cause I am a huugggeee fan of the mk4 golf. Thanks anyways man!

2many diesels

Veteran Member
TDI
rabbit pickup 1z swap Audi A4 Quattro ALH. 02 Beetle TDI. 99 Golf TDI. 03 Wagon TDI. 914 Porsche ALH t
Unfortunately, you have to swap the entire body harness in a mk4. It’s gonna be a big project, also if he has features you don’t, it’s not gonna work out.
Sorry, that is just not true. Plenty of tdi's have been put in gas counterparts with out harness swaps.

You will have to wire in a 109 relay, and a few other things. Not a big job, have done several.

one of my daily drivers is 01 A4 quattro with an ALH. Only wiring in the passanger compartment was for cruise and starter lockout.

I would suggest having a immo delete, and use the Jetta instrument cluster in the Golf

Foogie

TDI
03 Jetta TDI
Sorry, that is just not true. Plenty of tdi's have been put in gas counterparts with out harness swaps.
You will have to wire in a 109 relay, and a few other things. Not a big job, have done several.
one of my daily drivers is 01 A4 quattro with an ALH. Only wiring in the passanger compartment was for cruise and starter lockout.
I would suggest having a immo delete, and use the Jetta instrument cluster in the Golf
Okay cool, any idea of how long the swap would normally take?

2many diesels

Veteran Member
TDI
rabbit pickup 1z swap Audi A4 Quattro ALH. 02 Beetle TDI. 99 Golf TDI. 03 Wagon TDI. 914 Porsche ALH t
Time involved depends on your skill level, I have no idea what yours is..

Which hole does the round peg go into??

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
This is not a hard swap. It depends on how much time you have from start to finish. For someone 2many diesels or those of us that have done several, a weekend is sufficient if you can stay with it start to finish. As Jettawreck states though, the first one will take longer