Jetta TDi ran one day and didn't start the next morning

ExtremeTDI

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
My 2000 Jetta TDi ran fine on Friday. I didn't drive the car Saturday and then went to start it on Sunday and now it only cranks. I checked the anti-shutter valve and it wasn't stuck. The glowplug light comes on and then goes off so I would assume the glowplugs are good. I'm thinking I'm not getting fuel. Any other ideas? How can I check my fuel pump?

Thanks

B52guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001, 5 speed
Yeah what Fase said. I had the same problem. I had to bleed the air from each injector line to get it to start. The root problem was the T-valve on the fuel filter was cracked and letting in a bunch of air. Changed the T valve and I have been good ever since.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Or the internals of the pump went. Happens....

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
If the IP is fine when you shut if off, then the IP is probably fine the next morning.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but make sure there's no air leak around the thermostatic-T on the fuel filter. Or bypass the T and plug that hole.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Not necessarily. They can fail seal running and stay running but once they are shut off they are impossible to restart.