Jetta TDI front left Right Rear Brakes locked up

evansjl

TDI
2012 Jetta
Help!!! My 2012 Jetta TDI manual transmission has a brake issue. If I drive about 0.5 miles I get brake temperatures on the front left and right rear of about 400+ degrees F. I drove like 2 miles the other day and the right rear was up over 800 Degrees F. I have had it in the shop multiple times for the same issue. I have new pads and rotors in the rear, new clutch and a new brake booster and I'm still having the same issue. No warning lights are on. It has 200+K miles on it and I drive 100+ miles a day so I need something that will be reliable, which it was until this issue came up. Originally it was making a wooing noise which is why the clutch and flywheel were replaced and that didn't help. The next shop replaced rear rotors and pads and they said that fixed the problem but I haven't been able to verify that because of the overheating issue and / or vibrations at highway speeds. The shop I had it at that replaced the brake booster test drove it after installation and they said they checked the brake temps all around and they were even and reasonable. I took it on the interstate home pushed it up to75mph and it didn't seem right. I pulled over on the side of the road but didn't have anything to check the car with at that point. I drove it home and I could tell it wasn't right. Parked overnight and when I went to drive it in the morning that is when I got the 800 degree right rear and the front was 400+. It was making a buzzing sound when I picked it up but that went away as I drove it. What is going on with it? It is bleeding me dry here and I can't afford to continually dump money into it not to have it fixed.

DSIre

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf TDI (sold), 2011 A3 TDI, 2015 A3 TDI (Returned)
Usually it is the pivot point on the caliper for the e-brake that gets stuck. You might try to work it back and forth and free it up with some penetrating oil.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Since you say it is on opposing corners, that leads me to think it is something with that circuit of the primary (master cylinder). When it happens, I'd crack the lines at the m/c loose and see if there is pressure in one of them (there shouldn't be) and if there is, and it is released, do those two wheels turn free again?