Jetta TDI Blower motor/ resistor replacment.

zerim5000

TDI
2012 VW Jetta TDI Prem. DSG
I'm posting this because well mine just went out about a week ago and i could not find anything on the new model of Jetta's. This will be a simple explanation as the photos i did have were 5mb plus in size.

Trouble shooting
As with other models of the Jetta if you find that you only have level 4 on the blower or skips to level 3 odds are your resistor is out. This is an incredibly easy fix simply remove the foam guard from the passenger side under the glove box (you will need a short flat head screw driver or some wicked strong finger nails) after removing the foam you will see a wire plud going into a white or yellowish white plastic piece. This is the resistor to remove it first unclip the plug squeeze in on the sides and pull down, and then to pull the resistor pull on the tab that is on the end of the plastic piece then pull towards the passenger side of the car. The resistor will unhook and start to fall down help it along and it is now out to install a new resistor simply push the new resistor up into the hole making sure the tab is towards the center of the car once it is flush push towards the driver side this time and it will click into place plug the resistor back in and this part is done.

Alternative (unlikely cause)
The other obvious issue could be with you motor itself. To test for this first you will need to unplug the motor from it's connection (see above for opening the bay where the motor is held) simply squeeze the side of the connector and pull down. Once the prongs are exposed simply hook up a low output battery/ charger to the prongs and it will either spin or it won't if it doesn't be sure you have adequate power (not sure the exact power needed but i just used a car battery to test) if you have enough juice but it won't turn then odds are you need a new motor though to be honest i would replace the resistor at the same time as a worn motor will stress the resistor likely leading it to soon fail. If however it does spin then you can almost be certain your resistor is bad (assuming you checked the 40amp fuse in slot 33 NOTE: this slot apparently changes with the fuse box pattern you have). IMPORTANT I would highly recommend you test the motor without removing it as it will save a great deal of time and trouble especially if the motor turns out to be good.

Trouble shooting done? Need to replace the motor and not just the resistor?
Well then this is an absolute must to follow if you do not want to break your squirrel cage trust me I know =(.
To me this is bad engineering on VW's part, but in any case to safely remove the blower motor you will need to remove the glove box. (sounds worse that it is).
To do this you will need a T20 driver or socket with extension and a flat head screwdriver (thinner is better).
Start by removing two screws from the bottom of the glove box one located on each corner, and then open the glove box and remove the three screws nearly hidden in the top of the glove box one in each corner and one in the center, and close the gove box again. Lastly using the flat head pry off the side panel of the glove box (hidden unless the passenger door is open) this will reveal the sixth and final screw remove it and then slowly pull out on the glove box it will detach and obviously want to fall DO NOT LET IT FALL! This is because there are several wires connected to the back of the glove box that have very little slack in them. You will need to remove two of the plugs in order to set the glove box on the floor one on the top, and one at the bottom. These will be very obvious as they won't allow you to move very far while attached use the same process as above to remove them squeeze the side of the plug and pull. Once the wires are detached and the glove box is set on the floor you will see the reason you had to do all that work, and why you absolutely have to if you want a safe install of the new motor. There is a plastic tube behind the glove box and slightly covering the blower housing it is held in place by a single screw (yeah so do not try to pull it out from the bottom it won't budge). Remove the screw and pull the tube off. Now the motor is fully accessible to remove the old motor simply find the plastic tab that is sticking out from the side it should be facing the center console pull down on the tab and then turn the motor clockwise until it starts to drop out then simply give a little wiggle and let gravity work it will drop out. To install the new motor push it up in to the fixture ensuring the tab that you pulled on before is in about the same position as when the old motor fell down. Slwoly turn the motor back and forth until you get it to push all the way up then simply turn it counterclockwise until the tab clicks into place. Motor installed hook the tube back up and screw it in (place it first otherwise it won't want to lock onto the tube towards the center console). Place the glove box simply line it up and push it back in it will go quite easily and will hold on its own once backed in, and then put the 6 screws back in. Push the side panel back into place and hook up the power to the motor and you are done. All in all this will take about a half an hour to replace both the resistor and the motor. Now the reason you have to take out that tube is that even though it looks like you can squeeze the motor out it will likely break the squirrel cage because it is an incredibly tight fit and won't go unless squeezed in. So save some time and money by spending 15 minutes to remove the glove box. My experience is that the resistor crapped out and the motor was simply my bad for not taking the tube out first. Any who both parts can be ordered online ( i chose rockauto) for around 70-80 bucks trust me do not go to the parts house as online the blower is 35 bucks or so but when i looked at the store it is around 90. Also the resistor will not be stocked anywhere except maybe the dealership so be prepared to live without heat/ ac for a few days.

Black_Smoke

Veteran Member
TDI
2000, 2003 and 2014 TDI Jettas and a fairly speedy '05 Duramax
Although replacement resistors aren't THAT expensive, if you want to save a few bucks, or can't get the resistor quick enough, you can replace the thermal fuse with a new one. It's the little cylindrical thingy between the metal prongs on the end. You can usually find them at Radio Shack or an electronics store for about $2. Just make sure you get the same (or slightly lower) temperature rating. 99.9% of the time it's the thermal fuse that goes and there is nothing wrong with the resistor itself.

It's also worth noting that starting the fan on 1 or 2 when it's cold will reduce the likelyhood of having this problem.

Last edited: