Jetta TDI 230K having odd sound

eldar2000

TDI
2006 Jetta
My MK5 Jetta BRM TDI with 230,000 miles developed an odd “scraping/rattling” sound recently - strangely after emissions testing (maybe coincidence). My first thought was the clutch or the dual-flywheel. I did have that replaced with recommended FAG kit years ago and thought it would last the life of the car. Maybe coincidence, but when I press the clutch pedal in, it seems to stop. Then I thought maybe something with the lifters/camshaft, but no loss in power - put in a chime played stage 2 6 or 7 years ago.

Here’s the video. Any thoughts?

https://youtu.be/Y86s8Zfhkbo

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Holy moly! I have no idea what that is (but I'm going to guess flywheel) but it sounds like some piece of mining machinery.

mextdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 1.9, 2012 Passat TDI SE DSG, Previous 2014 Beetle TDi, 2012 Golf TDi DSG
First of all, your engine is SHAKING WILDLY!!!! Probably a faulty injector or something else, maybe a motor mount. I would get that looked at. If anything, I'd run some injector cleaner in the filter or in the tank. Easy to do.

Yes, I hear the scraping. It is mildly what my DMF sounded like when I replaced it. I am not sure how the DMF is different in an auto DSG vs a manual. I am not sure how many miles the DMF is supposed to last but in a manual, they're not extremely expensive.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
We just had a local guru stop by to pick up parts and I showed him the video. He says it's definitely the dual mass flywheel. Which is also why the engine is shaking.

eldar2000

TDI
2006 Jetta
Thanks guys! I think you're right. "Rocks in the tranny" is what I remember when the OEM dual mass flywheel went (about 7 years ago). It's also been sticking - coming out of higher gears. I'll get under it tomorrow and listen to it. Not driving it as some Youtube videos say if it fails, it can really cause some damage to the engine, etc...) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrseAZVH6I8

I likely do need to get some new engine mounts as it's been shaking pretty bad and they've never been replace. I need to fix a broken windshield, windshield wiper motor and probably time to change the timing belt (last time changed was 165,700 mi).

Worth investing all this work into this 2006 TDI with 230,000 miles? I can do it a little at a time as I'm driving my motorcycle for now and looking to get a truck before winter-time (live at 8000 feet in the Rocky Mountains). This thing has been an awesome vehicle and snow tires let me drive this most of the winters (as long as I get clearance). Plus I've learned to work on this car myself (for the most part) over the 13 years of ownership. Will be sad to see it go :(

Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It's worth fixing if you want to keep it. Sounds like you have some catch up work to do, although the timing belt system is good for 100K miles (or about 8-10 years, whichever comes first). As long as it's not rusting you it has a lot of life left.