Jetta Smyth Ute Conversion spotted at salvage yard (Maryland)

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
Was a bit surprised to see this Jetta Ute conversion at a salvage yard (LKQ in Edgewood, MD). By the time I took these pics, it had been stripped, but the original pictures from LKQ show it was fairly complete, and the interior was quite nice (hard to believe by the time I saw it). Given the cost of the conversion kit, something else must have gone quite wrong for it to end up here (?) instead of sold off as a project. I'm not as good anymore at recognizing non-TDI engines, but it looks like it has a 2.slow installed....but what is that in the truck bed? Sad sight....

Click on thumbnails for full size pics / link.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
That's a shame!
The engine in the bed appears to be an ALH based on the injection pump and hard injector lines.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yeah, maybe someone started a project that may have included a TDI conversion and just gave up.

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
I feel like I know should know VAG engines better, but I'm so used to seeing the same ALH in it's context, that I didn't know what I was seeing in the Ute bed. It didn't seem set up like a 2.slow, but isn't the oil filter in the wrong place for an ALH (or maybe it's not sitting at the right angle)?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Looks like something that could have been a remnant of a divorce

AGTDI

TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
or a cause of a divorce....

Whenever i see a cool half completed project....divorce is one of my first thoughts.

Still on first wife.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
or a cause of a divorce....

Whenever i see a cool half completed project....divorce is one of my first thoughts.

Still on first wife.
Exactly what I was thinking, spending too much time on projects can lead to losing the wife AND the projects