Jetta MkV "Easter Eggs"....hidden tricks!

Guttboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta MkV 2005.5 Platinum Gray/Gray Leather Pk2
Jetta MkV \"Easter Eggs\"....hidden tricks!

Ok everyone....

I have heard there are many things that can be done on the older jettas such as getting speed readings from the climatronic and others that are not written in the manual.

SOOOOOO....whats out there for our MkV's!!!!????!!!!!

Post the results here!!!! This should be stuff that the Non VAG COM members can use. We should use the OBD forum for VAG stuff.

1) If you push the AUTO button on the Climatronic for 3 seconds...the passenger temp will be the same as the driver temp until the passenger changes it. (found on VW VORTEX).

Keep adding to the list!

saboteur

TDI
2009 Golf 2.0 TDI
Re: Jetta MkV \"Easter Eggs\"....hidden tricks!

This is probably in the manual, but when you are going to wash your car, turn the ignition off then pull down on the washer stalk and the wipers will go to the up position so you can clean the windscreen.

Guttboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta MkV 2005.5 Platinum Gray/Gray Leather Pk2
Re: Jetta MkV \"Easter Eggs\"....hidden tricks!

Saboteur,

Thanks I read this but have not tried it...will do so today!

Drewser

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Jetta TDI Wagon, '04 Passat TDI, '03 Jetta TDI Wagon, several more in past
ttt

I'm now interested in this :)

DavidG

Veteran Member
TDI
None now
saboteur said:
This is probably in the manual, but when you are going to wash your car, turn the ignition off then pull down on the washer stalk and the wipers will go to the up position so you can clean the windscreen.
That one is in the manual. It's used to change the wiper blades.

aj164

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta DSG pkg2
There is a keyhole under the rear trunklid so yous can open the trunk with the key. It took me two months before I noticed it -- thought it was electric only.

Deansel

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta w/DSG, pkg1, Blue Graphite
After owning the car for over a month my wife discovered the adjustable center armrest - I guess we need to re-read the owners manual. We have been making little discoveries all along the way, it's part of the fun.

ohiodon

TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG package 1
Jetta 06 Hidden tricks!

Ok here’s two:

Tap on the turn signal stalk and the signal indicator will blink three times for switching lanes.

The turn signal clicking sound decreases in volume as the vehicle slows down. Next time you’re on the freeway as you signal to get off and come to a stop (leave the indicator on) the volume decreases. We’ll need to have the radio off to hear the difference.

I’ve had my Jetta for 4 days now :D. Think what I might find in a month…..

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
If you activate the windshield washer while the car is moving, it delays starting the wiper until there's some fluid already sprayed on the window (to minimize dry smearing), it will do 4 swipes, wait a few seconds, then do one more swipe to catch the last dribbles.

If you leave the driver's door open for a few minutes, it switches off the courtesy lights to avoid draining the battery. Just noticed that one today.

If you switch off the engine with the turn signal on in either direction, it will beep at you to let you know, and then it will leave the marker lights on, on the side that you have the turn signal set to.

Psyonic

TDI
'06 Jetta TDI Manual
I've noticed that if you power off the car with the radio on, the radio will power off, but you can then turn the radio back on without the key in the ignition. Probably not new to anyone else, but I thought it was kinda cool. This is my first VW. :)

ohiodon

TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG package 1
Jetta 06 Hidden tricks!

The radio will stay on for about an hour with no key.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
wiper park

Be careful with the wiper parking for winter/service.

I tried it yesterday, then went for a drive & the wipers wouldn't work for ~5 minutes. I could squirt fluid all day long, they just wouldn't wipe. After the time delay, then everything worked normally.

HTH

Tony

aj164

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta DSG pkg2
ohiodon said:
Ok here’s two:
Tap on the turn signal stalk and the signal indicator will blink three times for switching lanes.
I like the feature, but I also just found a side-effect: If you tap the turn signal, you're going to get 3 flashes whether you want it or not. So if you hit it by accident, there's no way to cancel. I tried hitting it the other direction, but then it flashed 3 times the other way. I tried tapping it a second time, but I ended up with 4 flashes total. :rolleyes:

aj164

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta DSG pkg2
dbh said:
If you hold it for 2 blinks and let it go it instantly quits.
Yeah, but then you might as well just give up and let it do the 3 blinks. :cool:

spelchek

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 Golf 2.0l TDI
aj164 said:
I like the feature, but I also just found a side-effect: If you tap the turn signal, you're going to get 3 flashes whether you want it or not. So if you hit it by accident, there's no way to cancel. I tried hitting it the other direction, but then it flashed 3 times the other way. I tried tapping it a second time, but I ended up with 4 flashes total. :rolleyes:
My thoughts exactly...its a handy feature, but the driver should be able to cancel it by a quick flip in the other direction IMO.

SoaceMunky

Veteran Member
TDI
Blue Anthracite Golf IV, 13 miles and counting ;)
spelchek said:
My thoughts exactly...its a handy feature, but the driver should be able to cancel it by a quick flip in the other direction IMO.
i agree, new bmws do this, it gets annoying. but you get used to it...i guess you have to.

the whole concept of taking controll away from the driver, as insignificant, and good-hearted as intended by the engineer is just not pallable to such driving aces as you and i :(

TVguy

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI DSG, package 1, CWP
Good stuff, but not really "Easter-eggs".

I'm want to find some of the good stuff, like on a certain Fords where you turn the key to on, then activate the left turnsignal, turn the key to off- then honk once within 3 seconds (or some complicated sequence like that) then you activate the Speed Variable Wipers.

spelchek

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 Golf 2.0l TDI
TVguy said:
Good stuff, but not really "Easter-eggs".

I'm want to find some of the good stuff, like on a certain Fords where you turn the key to on, then activate the left turnsignal, turn the key to off- then honk once within 3 seconds (or some complicated sequence like that) then you activate the Speed Variable Wipers.
<snob voice>
I prefer to just let my automatic rain sensor wipers and automatic light sensor lights take care of all that tiresome button pressing and switching, I mean really... :rolleyes:
</snob voice>
:D

Phoenix42

Veteran Member
TDI
'08 Mazda3 Hatch
GoFaster said:
If you switch off the engine with the turn signal on in either direction, it will beep at you to let you know, and then it will leave the marker lights on, on the side that you have the turn signal set to.
I added this feature to my 00 Golf, not that I use it much, living & working in the 'burbs doesn't give many opertunities for on street parking.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
If you leave the glove box door open for 30 seconds and remove 10 lbs. from the rear passenger tire when it's warmer than 73 degrees outside, the horn plays the first few notes of the theme song from 'Grease!' :D

aj164

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta DSG pkg2
BeetleGo said:
If you leave the glove box door open for 30 seconds and remove 10 lbs. from the rear passenger tire when it's warmer than 73 degrees outside, the horn plays the first few notes of the theme song from 'Grease!' :D
Funny. Mine played Beethoven's Ninth.

Tarka

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI, Highline, Technology package
I may be wrong on this, but I think I noticed once that if the wipers are set to continuous operation and you come to a stop, they temporarily switch to intermittent mode until you start up again and they revert to continuous operation. Or is something on my 2006 PD broken?

aj164

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta DSG pkg2
Tarka said:
I may be wrong on this, but I think I noticed once that if the wipers are set to continuous operation and you come to a stop, they temporarily switch to intermittent mode until you start up again and they revert to continuous operation. Or is something on my 2006 PD broken?
True. Also, if you're in high speed and come to a stop, they'll drop back to low speed. It's nice, but the auto wipers would be cool. Anyway, TVguy is right -- we haven't found any real "Easter Eggs" yet.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
You and all your Phaeton hand-me-downs :D

You guys have a menu system on your MFA, right, where you can change various parameters for the rest of the car?

-J

WillR

Veteran Member
If you have dual zone climate control, you have to set the temp adj knobs all the way up to High (which turns off automatic) and the electric cabin heater will work. It don't seem to ever come on if you leave it set to auto with any temps except high.

dbh

TDI
Jetta, 2006, black
Here's one I stumbled across that's perhaps a bit more Easter Eggie, even though I later found it in the manual - if you have the standard radio like I have press the Scan knob and hold it in. In a little while you'll see a menu of tweaks you can do to customize the radio.
--
dbh

TVguy

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI DSG, package 1, CWP
There is a (new?) Jetta Pocket Reference on the VW site that explains a number of items that are not in the owner's manual. A lot of it looks like the engineering department's answer to customer complaints. Here is an example:

Cruise Control Stalk

C
ONDITION:
• Cruise control is hard to operate; stalk is blocked by steering wheel

R
EMARKS:

• Cruise control lever is located at the left side just below of turn signal
lever, (circled)

Or one of my favorites:

Front Cupholder
CONDITION:

• Front cupholder cannot hold large drinks

R
EMARKS:

• Cupholder can hold “large” cups, but “jumbo” size does not fit in

These gems and other potential "Easter Eggs" can be found here:
http://www.vw.com/vwcom/content/objects/pdf/service_maint/jetta_pocketguide.pdf
It's a big PDF file (8,326k), so be patient.
Enjoy...​

Last edited: