JETTA FLYWHEEL AND CLUTCH PROBLEM!!! HELP!!! Transmission

hid3

Banned
TDI
Golf V 1.9 TDI-PD 105 HP
Wow... After those camshaft failures and replacements simply I'm tough on money right now... :( Strange that VW makes such defective cars. When I'm idling in neutral I put the shifter in 1st gear and hold the clutch pressed. I hope this will prolong the DMF life.

AD5GB

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta (Pkg 1)
jerry_m said:
Wow... After those camshaft failures and replacements simply I'm tough on money right now... :( Strange that VW makes such defective cars. When I'm idling in neutral I put the shifter in 1st gear and hold the clutch pressed. I hope this will prolong the DMF life.
I'm still of the opinion that the % of [name-your-part] failures is rather small compared to the number of VW TDi vechicles on the N.A. highway. I wouldn't call them "defective" collectively. Some have problems, others have other problems...... and yet most have no problems at all; thus you never hear from them on this forum.
OTOH.... if you suspect DMF problems, get it confirmed and fixed ( if there is in fact a problem ) before it becomes a MAJOR problem ( like a disintegrated transmission case, jumped timing belt/with bent/broken valves, broken pistons, bent rods, broken block casting...............)
And if there is NO problem..... :D and drive.......
I truly believe there are more TDi vehicles out there than we hear about on this forum..... and that the ratio of problems vs problem-free vehicles is much better than one might conclude by reading the posts on this forum alone.
YMMV but at any rate..... good luck!
<RANT>
[DISCLAIMER: my opinion is just that; my opinion. It has nothing to do with VW manufacturing, marketing, recommended intervals, photons from space or anything else untoward. Basis is simply upon my own experience and observation(s). Be free to draw your own conclusions! Ask questions if you have them. Seek a TDi guru in your area if you don't get a satisfactory answer.]
</RANT>
Best!

hid3

Banned
TDI
Golf V 1.9 TDI-PD 105 HP
AD5GB said:
OTOH.... if you suspect DMF problems, get it confirmed and fixed ( if there is in fact a problem ) before it becomes a MAJOR problem ( like a disintegrated transmission case, jumped timing belt/with bent/broken valves, broken pistons, bent rods, broken block casting...............)
And if there is NO problem..... :D and drive.......
I have 6-speed tranny and someone here in the forum said that DMFs equipped with 6 speed trannies don't fail. The local shop I'm subscribed to are really dumbar$$es on diagnosing problems -- they just replace parts quite well.. :eek: Here should be a FAQ/DIY how to check your DMF against a failure :)

dsmith1279

TDI
None......Yet???
jerry_m said:
How do I know when I should replace my rattling DMF? I mean, what are symptoms of "failure mode" of the DMF?
When mine went South it did so in one grand failure. I was driving, took a corner, downshifted to a whopping 2500RPM and when I let the clutch out it sounded like someone was taking a hammer to the US drivers side foot well. The hammer sound changed with the RPM. When I took my DMF off I was able to move the internal flywheel plate with a single finger 1/8-1/4 turn. Thus the "shock absorption" of the DMF is totally gone and the internal plate slams agains the outer flywheel material.

hutchman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 1, 5 Spd, Graphite Blue / 2002 Jetta GLS, Black w/tan leather
jerry_m said:
Mine was a July 05 build so I think the early ones were more prone to have problems ... I think they figured it out and sourced better spec parts for later build runs.

This is one of those cases where I went against my rule of never buying a first year model. Sometimes a early model is good (equipment of Pkg 2 cars vs the 2009's) but most of my experience with 1st year models has been bad (Ex: clutch failure).

I'm coming up on 100k miles fast and looking back I have to say it has been a great car so far and it runs today just as it did new. I can't recall being able to say that about the gassers I've had. Just did a timing belt change (and all that goes with that) so I'm ready for another 100k!

AD5GB

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta (Pkg 1)
dhdenney said:
8K miles and my DMF is out! How many have made it to 100K?
Good grief! 8K???? Mine made it to 71K before it started making noise. (and I've never EVER been hard on clutches or brakes!).

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
AD5GB said:
Good grief! 8K???? Mine made it to 71K before it started making noise. (and I've never EVER been hard on clutches or brakes!).
No I mean 8K more and I'm done. I'm at 92K right now. I'm chucking it when I do the TB.

hutchman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 1, 5 Spd, Graphite Blue / 2002 Jetta GLS, Black w/tan leather
dhdenney said:
8K miles and my DMF is out! How many have made it to 100K?
Changed mine at 63k miles.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
hutchman said:
Changed mine at 63k miles.
Mine's not really worsened in its life which I'm quite surprised about. Just figured it was a good time to do it.

jklmv

TDI
Jetta 2005.5, Golf 2001
I have babied my car to 82K. Dual Mass flywheel failed as I coasted up to the traffic light. I get to argue with GEICO's mechanical breakdown insurance adjuster about the flywheel not being a normal wear item. Wish me luck.

va_reman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Package 2
It does surprise me that from all the problems this DMF has caused and costed VW that they did not self recall it. I am equally surprised the Highway Safety Commission has not recalled it either.

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
2footbraker said:
You gotta love insurance companies. How in the world could a flywheel be a normal wear item?!
Total BS.

That guy should ask them if the turbo is also a wear item too...

TwoTone

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta (sold)
AD5GB said:
+1
I on the other hand did not take the time to take this step. It is however a simple and worthwhile step to take since it seems that nearly all failing DMF's leak heavy oil when they begin to fail. In my case, the sound alone was enough for me. TwoTone took the extra time to pull the inspection cover... possibly a better choice than my "brute force" thinking of "if it rattles out-of-synch" with the power pulses of the engine, get rid of it... but then I'm a bit short of tolerance and patience these days! :cool: T.T. has a good point though and a good search will tell you all you need to know as to how to find the inspection cover, and what to look for.
Me on the other-hand; after hearing that DMF knock and ordering the kit from BB, I intend to be ready (with 1/2 case of brake cleaner to clean the grease T.T. mentioned) to run to 100K after the clutch R&R.... probably to find that I'm also a victim of the prestigious camshaft failure so talked about on this forum. But I digress.......
Thanks, but you give me too much credit. I took the inspection plate off as I was replacing the DMF based on the noise. I just know after doing the job and reading other people with similar experiences that it is a quick easy way to tell if the DMF is going bad.

PhilipM

Veteran Member
2005.5 Jetta TDI DSG with 62760 miles started making noise on the way back from a 2 hour road trip. Already had an appointment for an oil change and they confirmed spring parts inside the bell housing.

I've read a bunch of this thread but am unable to determine if a single-mass flywheel exists for the DSG-- I keep seeing it for the manual.

I'm calling VWOA tomorrow despite the fact it is out of warranty so I can at least yell at someone.

va_reman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Package 2
Yelling can be good! theraputic > HAHHHRRHRHHHRHR damb VW! Yeap that helped me. Good luck, I hope they replace it and am still wanting a recall although time they recall we will all have VR6 clutches and a million miles on our cars, bastards.

D

dtrvler

Has anybody had this problem, with the 2006 Jetta TDI

With a 6 speed manual Trans?

D

dtrvler

CORRECTION: THE VEHICLE HAS A MANUAL 5 SPEED. I WAS TOLD IT WAS A MANUAL SIX SPEED TWICE BUT THE THIRD TIME IT WAS A FIVE SPEED. And the leather turned into leatherette also.

va_reman said:
I did not know that a 6 speed came with any of the 2006 tdi? Is this true? or are you wondering bout a swap?
It came in the GLI:

http://www.kbb.com/KBB/UsedCars/2006_Volkswagen_Jetta_1711_Private%20Party.aspx

I'm looking at one now but have some apprehension because it is in shop for new turbo oil seal kit...105 thousand miles...i was afraid that they may have used the wrong oil and lunched the cam and the metal took out the seals but I am not too familiar with the tdi so it is speculation on my part.

all the best,

dave

Last edited:

Damien8

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi guys,

I just got on this forum, as I have recently decided I wanted to buy a TDI.

Now after reading this thread, I'm having my doubts.

It's almost sounding like any 2005-2006 I get, will eventually and inevitably have clutch problems. Is this the reality of it?

Also, can this problem be avoided if I went with a 2009?

Thanks!

TDI DR!V3R

TDI
2011 JSW TDI, 2000 Bug TDI
So, I killed my first clutch tracking the car a while back, the VW mechanic in Germany replaced only the clutch, not the DMF. Come back state-side, car starts making HORRIBLE metallic noises...came to found out the DMF self-destructed and that "The clutch and DMF need to be replaced at the same time" I ordered the G60 clutch & Flywheel from TDIParts.com and have been happy ever since.....that is, until my car ended up back in the shop with a possible worn down cam shaft.

va_reman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Package 2
Damien8 said:
Hi guys,

I just got on this forum, as I have recently decided I wanted to buy a TDI.

Now after reading this thread, I'm having my doubts.

It's almost sounding like any 2005-2006 I get, will eventually and inevitably have clutch problems. Is this the reality of it?

Also, can this problem be avoided if I went with a 2009?

Thanks!
oh not true monfare, the problem with the clutch has not effected everyone. THis is just a small (hopefully) sample of us that had this problem. They are great cars (2005.5 and 2006) as I am a 2006 owner. If your stuck on the clutch issue then I recommend that if buying a used vehicle that you might wnt to budget in around a extra grand for the VR6 clutch and then all problems solved.

Damien8

Veteran Member
TDI
va_reman said:
oh not true monfare, the problem with the clutch has not effected everyone. THis is just a small (hopefully) sample of us that had this problem. They are great cars (2005.5 and 2006) as I am a 2006 owner. If your stuck on the clutch issue then I recommend that if buying a used vehicle that you might wnt to budget in around a extra grand for the VR6 clutch and then all problems solved.
Thanks for the reply.

I have been hearing great things about the TDI, mainly regarding MPG, and have been thinking about getting one for the last year or so.

I currently have a 1999 BMW M3, and it's a rock. Never needs anything but fluids.

It is however, a pig on gas, and is terrible as a daily driver as a result. This is precisely why I wanted to get the Jetta, but I also wanted to get a car that I could keep for at least 5 years, and wouldn't have to do a ton of maintenance on (like my BMW).

Having to install a new clutch, on a practically new car, just seems like an impending nightmare.

I'm hoping I can find some answers here that will change my thoughts, as I really did have my head set on the car, and even have a good friend looking at a couple in the US for me (and planned to make a purchase in the next week or two).

Can anyone help. Thank you all again :)

icecap

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI 5Spd Black Anthracite Pkg 1
Damien8 said:
Thanks for the reply.

I have been hearing great things about the TDI, mainly regarding MPG, and have been thinking about getting one for the last year or so.

I currently have a 1999 BMW M3, and it's a rock. Never needs anything but fluids.

It is however, a pig on gas, and is terrible as a daily driver as a result. This is precisely why I wanted to get the Jetta, but I also wanted to get a car that I could keep for at least 5 years, and wouldn't have to do a ton of maintenance on (like my BMW).

Having to install a new clutch, on a practically new car, just seems like an impending nightmare.

I'm hoping I can find some answers here that will change my thoughts, as I really did have my head set on the car, and even have a good friend looking at a couple in the US for me (and planned to make a purchase in the next week or two).

Can anyone help. Thank you all again :)
There is a VW service bulletin dated november 07 regarding a potential problem resulting in the Sachs clutch failing up to VIn # 1K_6M850645. The best thing to do is to pull the inspection cover off of the flywheel housing to find out if it has a sticky oily coating inside. The DMF is filled with a silicone based dampening fluid which usually leaks out in the early stages of an impending failure which can potentially take out the transmission if it grenades. My 06.5 manufactured 10/06 has had no clutch problems and just ticked over 54K.

Damien8

Veteran Member
TDI
icecap said:
There is a VW service bulletin dated november 07 regarding a potential problem resulting in the Sachs clutch failing up to VIn # 1K_6M850645. The best thing to do is to pull the inspection cover off of the flywheel housing to find out if it has a sticky oily coating inside. The DMF is filled with a silicone based dampening fluid which usually leaks out in the early stages of an impending failure which can potentially take out the transmission if it grenades. My 06.5 manufactured 10/06 has had no clutch problems and just ticked over 54K.
I'm shocked VW never put out a recall.

Where can I find the VIN list?

The build date on the car I'm looking at is 08/06.

It has 58K miles, and is CPO with 2 yr/24K mi.

They're asking $16,000 for it.

Thoughts?