JETTA FLYWHEEL AND CLUTCH PROBLEM!!! HELP!!! Transmission

NewYorkBuck

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2015 Black
bombero said:
I forwarded this thread to the NHTSA, but we know how these things take time. Nothing may come of it, no one may bother to read all the pages, but nothing ventured....
True. Couldnt hurt!

TDIPirate

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Mk V, 5 spd
ssamalin said:
Engagement point changes

Slipping (rapid revs with no accelleration)

Shuddering, clunking, stalling, even using proper shifting techniques such as giving gas before shifting, letting the clutch out gently until the engine grabs, giving more gas when it grabs, giving gas when downshifting into first or second.

Smoke or smells

A lot of us have had sudden failure with no signs ("the clutch went down and stayed down")

Hmmm, I have noticed that I would stall it when taking off periodically, even with doing it all properly like above. I thought that this Clutch was just really really sensitive, but now I'm not so sure. Hell, My jeep is a Manual and the only time I ever stall that is while trailriding, and even then that only happens in off camber (and awkward positions :eek: )

I'll talk to my local dealer when I get back stateside in November and see if they can check it out. Theyv'e actually been pretty good with this stuff.

Shinola

TDI
2006 Jetta
Before I bought my 06 Jetta TDI I did a lot of research including reading thread after thread on this site. I recoginzed that VW did not have the best reputation compared to Toyota/Honda and etc, Consumer Reports being another source of info. However, I liked the car itself and the fuel economy and so far (90 000 km) no significant problems to report and I'm pleased with the vehicle. Having said that, if I read this thread there is no way in heck I would be buying a VW Jetta. VW better do something quick about this. Their reputation is seriously in trouble with this thread alone. I wonder how many have read this in doing research on buying this car and been turned off. I know I would be.

TwoTone

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta (sold)
TDIPirate said:
Hmmm, I have noticed that I would stall it when taking off periodically, even with doing it all properly like above. I thought that this Clutch was just really really sensitive, but now I'm not so sure. Hell, My jeep is a Manual and the only time I ever stall that is while trailriding, and even then that only happens in off camber (and awkward positions :eek: )

I'll talk to my local dealer when I get back stateside in November and see if they can check it out. Theyv'e actually been pretty good with this stuff.
I have driven hundreds of different manual tranny cars as a mechanic and never had problems, however I have to say the clutch in the Jetta is the worst I've driven. It's my wife's car so I drive every once in a while on weekends. I don't stall too often, but more that any other stick I've driven.

Yet we have over 40k on it with no failure, I still think it's just the way the clutch is in this car.

TwoTone

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta (sold)
I had an idea, while filing with NHTSA is important, those of you that had to pay out of pocket, try the local news. In my area we have things like Seven on your side etc.. news programs that try to help you and normally work because the business doesn't want the bad press on prime time news.

VW is trying to make a come back, the last thing they need is this kind of bad press all over the country. Want them to listen, hurt them wear it hurts the most- lost sales from bad press.

Octang Frye

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 Jetta
I agree. That would be my first recourse. I'd be calling every TV station and consumer trouble shooter in the area. I'd also threaten to stand outside the dealership with a sign.

milleraw

TDI
2010 JSW Silver, Portos, Roof / 2010 JSW Candy White
#47 resolution FAILURE!!!

milleraw said:
From Jetta #47:
Well I wrote a letter about my trip to maine that detailed the clutch/flywheel issue and made an appointment at the dealer. They spent the day today looking it over and called me to come in for a loaner. I am thrilled. They admitted that this was a known issue with the Jetta TDI. They are ordering the entire clutch/flywheel. I told them that I wanted all replaced parts.
Not sure if it helped but here is my letter.
Thank you to all that have treaded before me. Your experience was instrumental in this resolution.
Now I am hot:mad: . Talked with the service manager today. They removed the tranny, clutch, and Flywheel. Said that the clutch and flywheel looked brand new...even commented that my wife must be a good clutch driver. Said that under VWs rules he can not replace anything. I asked for an explaination as to the details in my letter. I don't think I got an answer...it was hard to keep my composure. I will need to show that there is either failure or this becomes a cronic problem.
What measure do you use to determine that the DMF is bad? Certianly not looks!!!
I am not happy. Thought 2+ hour trips on the highway without problems was something that a ~$20k car could handle. Meanwhile while pulling everything they found a oil leak on the seal for a sensor near the rear main seal. Funny..wonder if the heat from the flywheel caused the seal to fail.
More as it comes.

SuperJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Shinola said:
Before I bought my 06 Jetta TDI I did a lot of research including reading thread after thread on this site. I recoginzed that VW did not have the best reputation compared to Toyota/Honda and etc, Consumer Reports being another source of info. However, I liked the car itself and the fuel economy and so far (90 000 km) no significant problems to report and I'm pleased with the vehicle. Having said that, if I read this thread there is no way in heck I would be buying a VW Jetta. VW better do something quick about this. Their reputation is seriously in trouble with this thread alone. I wonder how many have read this in doing research on buying this car and been turned off. I know I would be.
VW better shape up. I talk to a lot of people about my car. People often mention that they would like diesel Jetta. I always recommend they look elsewhere mostly because of VWs incompetence to fix known problems in a timely manner and the expenses compared with other brands. I say I bought a TDI because I'm a car guy who appreciates/enjoys the car and can tolerate the risk, but recommend a Toyota or Honda to others.

I've talked several people out of even considering VWs in the last couple of months. I love mine and would probably buy again, but I wouldn't feel good recommending a VW to anyone with the present state of affairs regarding DMF failures in both DSG and manual transmission cars.

IMHO, word of mouth is the most important form of marketing and VW will be missing out on any from me until the can prove themselves with good after sales support.

(I really hope someone from VWOA/Canada, reads this thread... in the long term ignoring this issue will cost them money in lost sales and the associated service.)

Last edited:

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta-sold
SuperJ said:
VW better shape up. I talk to a lot of people about my car. People often mention that they would like diesel Jetta. I always recommend they look elsewhere mostly because of VWs incompetence to fix known problems in a timely manner and the expenses compared with other brands. I say I bought a TDI because I'm a car guy who appreciates/enjoys the car and can tolerate the risk, but recommend a Toyota or Honda to others.

I've talked several people out of even considering VWs in the last couple of months. I love mine and would probably buy again, but I wouldn't feel good recommending a VW to anyone with the present state of affairs regarding DMF failures in both DSG and manual transmission cars.

IMHO, word of mouth is the most important form of marketing and VW will be missing out on any from me until the can prove themselves with good after sales support.

(I really hope someone from VWOA/Canada, reads this thread... in the long term ignoring this issue will cost them money in lost sales and the associated service.)
I agree and have done the same thing. I've told people to wait for the diesel Honda or BMW. The only way I would buy another VW is if it came standard with a bumper-to-bumper 5 year/100k mile warranty with courtesy car for EVERY service scheduled or unscheduled. I don't expect this to happen, so no VW next time. There is a lot to like, but a lot to be frustrated about too:(

TwoTone

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta (sold)
SuperJ said:

I'm in the same boat. I used to be a mechanic so I can fix most things and if I don;t have the tools for it or need a lift I'm still on good terms with the owners of my last shop.

However I never recommend a VW to a friend or someone that asks about the Jetta.

06SpiceRedTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Spice Red TDI Jetta, 2006.5 DSG Platinum Gray TDI
VW is not the only manufacturer with problems. go the the NHTSA site and look up complaints on the 2007 Toyota Camry, there are more complaints about the Automatic transmission the the New Camry than there are for the Jetta clutch. A friends mom has one of the new Camry XLE V6s she took it in for this known issue, they reflashed the Transmission ECU and told her that if it happens again to bring it in for the whole transmission to be replaced.

studebaker

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta pk 1
A whole lot more Camry's have been sold then TDI VWs in the U.S.

I no longer recommend the Jetta TDI to anyone that asks me about it. I really like the car, just not the unexpected maintainence like the clutch, flywheel and trans issues-- just can't make that extra cost back in fuel milage. Will probably trade for the new Honda Diesel when it comes out.

06SpiceRedTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Spice Red TDI Jetta, 2006.5 DSG Platinum Gray TDI
studebaker said:
A whole lot more Camry's have been sold then TDI VWs in the U.S.
True However The number of Jettas sold in the US is probably alot closer and we know this problem reaches beyond just the TDI

TwoTone

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta (sold)
06SpiceRedTDI said:
VW is not the only manufacturer with problems. go the the NHTSA site and look up complaints on the 2007 Toyota Camry, there are more complaints about the Automatic transmission the the New Camry than there are for the Jetta clutch. A friends mom has one of the new Camry XLE V6s she took it in for this known issue, they reflashed the Transmission ECU and told her that if it happens again to bring it in for the whole transmission to be replaced.
Notice a HUGE difference??

This says it all "they reflashed the Transmission ECU and told her that if it happens again to bring it in for the whole transmission to be replaced"

Find me a VW service depart that will say that, everything is a fight with VW and that's the most important difference.

Hmmm which to pick 2 cars both with problems, one the dealer will fix no hassels the other the dealer will blame me and charge me.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
Bad DMF Signs

milleraw said:
Now I am hot:mad: . Talked with the service manager today. They removed the tranny, clutch, and Flywheel. Said that the clutch and flywheel looked brand new...even commented that my wife must be a good clutch driver. Said that under VWs rules he can not replace anything. I asked for an explaination as to the details in my letter. I don't think I got an answer...it was hard to keep my composure. I will need to show that there is either failure or this becomes a cronic problem.
What measure do you use to determine that the DMF is bad? Certianly not looks!!!
I am not happy. Thought 2+ hour trips on the highway without problems was something that a ~$20k car could handle. Meanwhile while pulling everything they found a oil leak on the seal for a sensor near the rear main seal. Funny..wonder if the heat from the flywheel caused the seal to fail.
More as it comes.

JasonTDI showed me this: the main reason the DMF fails is the two flywheels come apart and rotate maybe 90 degrees to each other, whereas a good DMF only rotates about 1 degree. That's why it slips and clunks. JasonTDI actually picked up a bum flywheel and rotated it.

Last edited:

robbinsresort

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI, 85 Golf n/a Diesel
03/06 build date cutoff theory

The data in this thread indicates that most (85-90%?) DMF failures have occurred in models with build dates 03/06 and earlier.

I just got my bentley manual yesterday and noticed something in the manual transmission specifications (pg 34a-2).

5-speed transmission, all 2005 models and 2006 models to chassis 6M624265: Use G 052 726 A2 Volkswagen trans oil.
5-speed transmission, 2006 models from chassis 6M624266: Use G 055 726 A2 Volkswagen transmission oil.
I know the DMF and clutch aren't exposed to tranny oil, but I'm sure with a mid-year cutover, there had to be other changes.

It's just a WAG, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

-Chris

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
Octang Frye said:
I think we, as concerned VW owners, should write a letter to VWoA, citing failures experienced on this thread, and respectfully ask that they initiate a recall and/or at least make a statement.

We should let them know that we're considering a class action suit, and that each of us is going to spread the word about this costly and potentially lethal defective DMF.

We know a lot about our cars and we're keen to share our knowledge of this defect with local media outlets, via an email 'awareness' campaign, as well as picketing dealerships to educate potential customers as to VWoA's lack of positive action in this matter.

I'll write a draft for your review and post it here.

BTW, thanks Sam for collating the information you did. A lot of effort. Much appreciated.
If you meant me, you're welcome.

TDI 4 RD

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI Pkg 1
robbinsresort said:
The data in this thread indicates that most (85-90%?) DMF failures have occurred in models with build dates 03/06 and earlier.

I just got my bentley manual yesterday and noticed something in the manual transmission specifications (pg 34a-2).

I know the DMF and clutch aren't exposed to tranny oil, but I'm sure with a mid-year cutover, there had to be other changes.

It's just a WAG, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

-Chris
Very interesting. How do you determine your chassis number? (Is that the same as the VIN?) Thanks.

robbinsresort

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI 4 RD said:
Very interesting. How do you determine your chassis number? (Is that the same as the VIN?) Thanks.
Yes, same as vin.

vin position 10 - 6 stands for '06 model year.
vin position 11 - M stands for Mexico assembly plant.
vin positions 12-17 - Sequential production number for specific vehicle

richbking

I took mine in and they said they didn't notice the clutch slipping, but they did notice that it chattered on take-off. They said it would cost 660 bucks to remove the transmission to find out and if the clutch needed to be replaaced it would be 1600 bucks. They said it would only be covered if it was something other than a clutch failure. I picked up the car this evening without having them do anything. The clutch slippig is very noticeable still and it feels like it is getting easier to slip with little acceleration.

By the way my build date is 06/06.

dmann33

TDI
2006 Jetta
update

To follow-up on my post #745 p.50 -

My car is back - the flywheel was "bad". I got the keep the old flywheel, but the clutch plate went back on a core deposit. I was told the clutch was still in pretty good shape - even though it had 75K miles.

The old DMF flywheel has about 20 degrees of free play between the 2 plates. I suppse that was making the horrible knocking sound at idle (from the power strokes of the engine, maybe??). If you recall at high rpms, the knocking went away, and she purred fine. At idle it sounded like it was about to explode.

$1240 plus tax for parts and labor at VW of Athens (GA).

The new clutch feels much stronger than the old one (firmer pedal and engages very quickly). I unintentially burnt some rubber getting across a busy intersection today. I don't think it would have hooked up like that before.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
5-speed transmission, all 2005 models and 2006 models to chassis 6M624265: Use G 052 726 A2 Volkswagen trans oil.
5-speed transmission, 2006 models from chassis 6M624266: Use G 055 726 A2 Volkswagen transmission oil.
Hmm, looks like I am using the wrong oil. Does it make a distinction? I changed mine and refilled with G52 about 6K miles ago.

robbinsresort

Veteran Member
TDI
You've put enough miles on your A5 to warrant a tranny oil change?

Doesn't make any distinction, at least in that part of the manual.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
robbinsresort said:
You've put enough miles on your A5 to warrant a tranny oil change?

Doesn't make any distinction, at least in that part of the manual.
I changed it a touch over 40K to just get the wear metals out. I felt like if it takes 30K-60K for my engine to fully break in, I didn't see any reason why the trans should keep it's oil for 100K.

matthewgb

TDI
2006 A5 . TDI . 5sp . Pk1. Platinum Grey (ON ORDER)
dealer called / possible clutch issue.

My '06 TDI 5sp (40k miles) is in the shop for routine service and the writer called to tell me they noticed that my clutch was developing a 'flat spot' causing it to shudder on take off. I have noticed that since I owned the car (12/05) and thought that was me being to gentle. I also noticed a noice when starting off and turning, i had this checked before and of course, it could not be duplicated. I asked if it was my driving that caused this and he said that it was possible. He said I should be thinking of replacing the clutch in the next 10k miles. I just read this series of posts and didn't realize this was such a major issue.

:confused:

SootHappens

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Mine has "suddered" severely since new, but I've decided not to fight 'em about it... It's not slipping even with my tune, just annoying. I'm sure I'll end up swapping with VR6 clutch later-on "myself" -build date 04/06

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta-sold
matthewgb said:
My '06 TDI 5sp (40k miles) is in the shop for routine service and the writer called to tell me they noticed that my clutch was developing a 'flat spot' causing it to shudder on take off. I have noticed that since I owned the car (12/05) and thought that was me being to gentle. I also noticed a noice when starting off and turning, i had this checked before and of course, it could not be duplicated. I asked if it was my driving that caused this and he said that it was possible. He said I should be thinking of replacing the clutch in the next 10k miles. I just read this series of posts and didn't realize this was such a major issue.

:confused:
Let us know what it costs. I may do it as a preventative measure and peace of mind, now that basic warranty is up.

IonicHelio

TDI
2003 Jetta, 2006 Jetta
Ying and Yang

Update: I got my car back with the new flywheel and clutch. A world of difference I must say, it feels tighter and is definitely more responsive. I also had a weird noise while turning the steering wheel, they drained and refilled the trans and set the fluid to a proper level, now the noise is gone.

My part numbers were:

03G-105-266-AC Flywheel
03G-141-016 Clutch Pla
N-903-207-01 6 screws

G-070-726-A2 Transm. Oil

I still have a problem though, the car continues to shake, like the engine is oscillating between turning off and starting back up. This happens when I've driven the car for a while and I stop at a light or in traffic; it's shakes harder on a decline. Does anyone have an idea what this is?

I guess come Monday I will take it back to the dealer, they've been super so far with all it's problems. :rolleyes:

I forgot to post earlier that my car was built on 7/05.

matthewgb

TDI
2006 A5 . TDI . 5sp . Pk1. Platinum Grey (ON ORDER)
I was told $1500 to replace the clutch. I told him it has been doing this almost as long as I have owned it and did discuss it with the dealer I purchased the car from with no response. I asked about the risk and he said if it goes out, i won't go anywhere. He is just trying to sell something, he says. I am going to keep driving. It will crap out sooner or later, hopefully later.

milleraw

TDI
2010 JSW Silver, Portos, Roof / 2010 JSW Candy White
milleraw said:
Now I am hot:mad: . Talked with the service manager today. They removed the tranny, clutch, and Flywheel. Said that the clutch and flywheel looked brand new...even commented that my wife must be a good clutch driver. Said that under VWs rules he can not replace anything. I asked for an explaination as to the details in my letter. I don't think I got an answer...it was hard to keep my composure. I will need to show that there is either failure or this becomes a cronic problem.....
Got the car back from the dealer today. The clutch feels very different. I can let the clutch out without giving it gas. Could never have done that before. So they didn't change the flywheel...but maybe the installation is wrong from the factory....but right from the dealer. They said that a factory representative was in the shop when my car was apart. Maybe all we need is a re-install.

Only time will tell.....