JETTA FLYWHEEL AND CLUTCH PROBLEM!!! HELP!!! Transmission

icecap

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI 5Spd Black Anthracite Pkg 1
Damien8 said:
I'm shocked VW never put out a recall.

Where can I find the VIN list?

The build date on the car I'm looking at is 08/06.

It has 58K miles, and is CPO with 2 yr/24K mi.

They're asking $16,000 for it.

Thoughts?
I just re-read the TSB and evidently Sachs changed their manufacturing proceedure in August of 06 to correct the defect. The last of the potentially defective clutches were installed below the above serial number. Several things you have to consider are that if you have a late production 06 orherwise known as an 06.5 the serial numbers make no sense since it appears they started all over again so your serial number will be much lower than the above number yet still have the new clutch and new fuel filter. Evidently there is a number code within the VIN that identifies it as such. Also consider the fact that many on these forums have chipped their cars or added tuning boxes which substantially increases the engines power and torque putting a much greater strain on a clutch that is not up to the task. Driving conditions also play a large part in its longevity. Was it driven primarily in stop and go gridlock city driving or mostly highway commute? Was the former owner an aggressive driver or someone who can get 200K out of a clutch. Last winter on a trip to the interior of BC to visit family for Christmas I was caught in a blizzard on a high mountain pass with heavy holiday traffic. Since the blizzard left snow removal caught off guard mixed with traffic volume it made for mayhem as semis spun out blocking the highway and the roadway was so slippery that once you stopped you coudn't get rolling again. It took me 8 hours to make a 3 hour trip. The main problem was that traffic litterally inched along and the 8Km/hr that was the cars slowest travel speed in 1st at idle was too fast making it necessary to continually stop lift the load with the clutch, move a car length at best and do it over and over again. It didn't take long for the acrid smell of burning clutch to make its presence known and I'm sure I shortened its life that night.

Last edited:

abakos

Veteran Member
TDI
-----
Just changed my DMF yesterday/today...that job sucks. Now that I've done it I think I could pull it off in maybe 4-5 hrs, but there are a lot of little tedious steps (aka CV shafts and dropping the sub frame).

My advice to those planning to do the job, organize the fasteners you take out. Also, just take a sharpie and number the bolts under the sub-frame and number the hole so you don't keep questioning yourself.

The deflection in the old one wasn't much worse than the new one, but the big difference was how easily the two halves moved relative to each other. The old one took everything I had to twist them, but the new one was relatively free floating.

My syptoms were nasty chatter on downshift to 2 or 3. If I babied it the syptoms would kind of subside, but not worth the risk.

Used new TTY flywheel bolts and updated flywheel p/n.

va_reman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Package 2
I total agree with "IceCap" the people who had most o the problems are on the earlier year built cars and most of us with these cars have put alittle extra in our cars to enhance the speed on a clutch that was meant for no more than 105+1 whp. Once you get your car and if you want to get more speed out of it you will need to consider this equation....

Speed = Money Coming from a M3 I would first replace the clutch find Rocketchip (Jeff) do an air intake and a exhaust and this car should be great fun for the next 10 years.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
Somebody read 8/06 the last month of the defect. If there's cars built in 9/06 or later they'd be even safer, but yea I think augulst is past the worst risk from what I know. We're all taking guesses from sketchy information we're putting togethor.

Damien8 said:
Does a build from 08/06 qualify for a "safer" bet?

frankobra

TDI
Looking for 06
Newb question here, I am just starting to look into a 06 tdi and came across the issues in this thread. I'm not clear if this problem is a 5-speed or DSG problem or both?

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
primarily manual 5 in cars built before 4/06, and before 9/06 to a lessor extent, but again we are all guessing from the dribs and drabs of info we put togethor. I think theres been some indication it could apply somehow to dsg, but I'm not sure.

frankobra said:
Newb question here, I am just starting to look into a 06 tdi and came across the issues in this thread. I'm not clear if this problem is a 5-speed or DSG problem or both?

Damien8

Veteran Member
TDI
ssamalin said:
primarily manual 5 in cars built before 4/06, and before 9/06 to a lessor extent, but again we are all guessing from the dribs and drabs of info we put togethor. I think theres been some indication it could apply somehow to dsg, but I'm not sure.
How about a car built in 01/06? Stay away?

icecap

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI 5Spd Black Anthracite Pkg 1
Damien8 said:
Does a build from 08/06 qualify for a "safer" bet?

If the serial number is 1K_6M850645 or higher you are safe or safer but also note my 06.5 build date 10/05 has a serial #1K_6M030***

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
It is in the high risk date, so you need to check if its on the vin list. If it isn't, and it drives without DMF signs such as hesitation, lugging, bucking, smoke, then you may not be high risk for dmf failure. To make sure, you need to see if it has a sach clutch that has a dirty inspection window which a guru can tell by looking at it. If not, you have a normal risk of DMF failure. These clutch jobs have been covered by warranty by some dealers, maybe even more than half the time. The job costs something like $2-4000? I don't know.

Damien8 said:
How about a car built in 01/06? Stay away?

Last edited:

scarletvw

TDI
2005.5 TDI Jetta
Oh great, so I just found this thread after having my 05.5 jetta since may 1st. I'm going to have to guess my car is at high risk of DMF failure. I've seen on this thread something about an inspection window, where is it and what would I look for?

Dave451

TDI
Jetta 06
Jetta TDI 2006 DMF DSG AutoTrans

I have (for now) a 2006 Jetta TDI DSG.

Just thought I'd share my pain on the DMF. I just had mine fail on the DSG. A 4 inch by 2 inch chunk of metal flew off the side on the DMF and lodged in the transmission bell housing. My car literally started to scream. Unfortunately, by the time I pulled over the damage was done. It blew a hole in the bell housing and fluid started pouring out.

To make matters worse I was at 60114 miles, as everyone knows the power train only goes to 60k. They wanted $8300 for the repair (new trans and DMF). After a lot waiting and complaining VW agreed to cover the parts, but I had to pick up the labor $900. So my opinion of the DMF is basically it's a time bomb, literally. Tick, tick, tick what is your mileage at?

scarletvw

TDI
2005.5 TDI Jetta
Dave451 said:
I have (for now) a 2006 Jetta TDI DSG.

Just thought I'd share my pain on the DMF. I just had mine fail on the DSG. A 4 inch by 2 inch chunk of metal flew off the side on the DMF and lodged in the transmission bell housing. My car literally started to scream. Unfortunately, by the time I pulled over the damage was done. It blew a hole in the bell housing and fluid started pouring out.

To make matters worse I was at 60114 miles, as everyone knows the power train only goes to 60k. They wanted $8300 for the repair (new trans and DMF). After a lot waiting and complaining VW agreed to cover the parts, but I had to pick up the labor $900. So my opinion of the DMF is basically it's a time bomb, literally. Tick, tick, tick what is your mileage at?
Thats crappy, for myself I have a 5 spd with 87,700 miles. I checked the build date on my car and it was 4/05 so I'm hoping that maybe my car was early enough that it wont have issues :crosses fingers: but I hope I don't have any issues.

Sorry to hear about your DSG failure.

Dave451

TDI
Jetta 06
VW Voluntarily Recalls 13,500 Vehicles Over DSG Transmission Woes

Wow is it possible the DSG Transmission has a manufacturing or design flaw??? To bad for me my car is outside of the recall. Hopefully they will expanded it....

http://jalopnik.com/5341999/vw-voluntarily-recalls-13500-vehicles-over-dsg-transmission-woes

VW Voluntarily Recalls 13,500 Vehicles Over DSG Transmission Woes

VW of America says a small number of Jetta, Jetta SportWagen, GTI, and Eos models built between September 2008 and August 2009 may have faulty DSG transmissions and has recalled 2009 and some 2010 vehicles. [PRNewswire]

http://jalopnik.com/5321361/nhtsa-opens-investigation-of-volkswagen-dsg-transmissions

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has opened an investigation into Volkswagen's DSG transmission after complaints from owners.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
When did they start putting Dual Mass Flywheels in cars? Were they all defective up until the 3/06 build date?

FredIA

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 A5 Jetta, Shadow Blue, Pkg #1/XM, rear side curtain airbags
I am wondering if I am not having either the "bad clutch disc" problem or the beginnings of a DMF problem with my '06 TDI... build date 02/06. 33.5K miles

I only seem to have issues with the clutch when the vehicle gets wet.. i.e. if it sits out in the parking lot at work during heavy rain days. (Though I had it happen on a very hot and humid day as well.) But when it's in the garage at home or on dry days it's fine..

Here is what is happening on those "wet" days.. the first maybe 3-5 times I start from a dead stop the clutch will grab and shudder for a second or two. After that, it's fine.. it's fine in all subsequent gears... it's fine 2 miles up the road... like something is getting "dried" off. I suppose I could have a CV joint be the issue as well but it's odd. I've scanned the forums (here and elsewhere) and not seen anything like this.

There are so many experts around here, I'm wondering if someone could give me an idea as what to look for. I'm still pretty low in miles so I will likely try the local stealership if something in the powertrain is bad.

I should add that my last manual vehicle (which was a POS) I drove 130K miles on the original clutch... I'm not impressed with the VW at this point.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Fred

NewYorkBuck

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2015 Black
Just had an VR6 update done this weekend by our own Hevster1 in NJ. Parts were supplied by Bora - Sachs w 17.5lb balanced flywheel.

Took the better part of a day and Hevster had to put in a spacer to account for not enough take up in the new unit. That said, anyone thinking of upgrading to a VR6, my advice to you is just do it. There is almost no downside. Clamping strength is greater and service life is better. Perhaps the biggest surprise of all was how easy the new clutch is to drive. Less pedal effort, lower take-up, and much smoother engagement. Not sure how we got to lower effort and more clamping power, but its there. Dont even mind driving it as much in bumper to bumper NYC traffic.

My odometer is just about at 50k, so I didnt want to press my luck anymore, esp since Im out of warranty (2005.5.) Mike showed me my old flywheel and there was a considerable amount of travel, so I was on borrowed time anyway. Also had a tune up (all filters changed, oil changed (M1 TDT), MoS2, and Diesel Purge.) Cant believe how well the thing is running now, NYB knocking wood.

ONLY downside is SOME chatter, and when I say some it took me an hour or so of driving to recognize it. Inside it really just sounds like normal diesel clatter, just a bit louder. Nothing Im going to worry about.

Moral of the story - if you're on the fence about the VR6, just do it. If you live in NJ, dont hesitate to use Hevster1. You'll be happy all the way around.

Last edited:

niecy

TDI
New Jetta 2005 Black
Lawyers?

TDI 4 RD said:
Added one more - so now there's 34 people. (Make that two more..35)...

I know lawyers have a bad reputation, and some deservedly so, but I think the people who have been forced to pay for this defect (in terms of money and lost time) should contact each other, and think about getting a consumer protection lawyer. Even a simple, polite, but well documented letter to VWofA from a reputable attorney representing a few owners could move the ball forward.

And, as others have said before, it's absolutely crucial that NHTSA be alerted to this situation.
Has anyone had any luck with getting help from lawyers? i've tried several lemon law lawyers with no luck. I spoke with another lawyer who wanted me to give him $2000 just to start the case and then he was going to go after VW for a brand new car. I don't need a new car, I just want VW to pay for what's fair...

iamdamon

TDI
2006 Jetta pkg 2; 2000 Jetta GLS (totalled in 2005)
It's been a while

I tried getting my DMF/clutch failure covered when it was done but was stuck paying the dealership because I had them take it apart assuming it was gonna be covered. Anyways, I paid like $1400 and then when the TSB came out I called and tried to get VWoA to reimburse it a couple of times with no luck--even though my VIN falls in the covered range and I have the old part which is the covered brand--forget which one...

Anyways, I had a dream last night where a man working at the dealership shop told me I needed to call and get it covered so I am thinking about trying this again even though its been almost 3 years since I paid to have it replaced...Anyone have any updates with the TSB and communicating with the un-educated people that answer the phone at VWoA?

This post has pretty much died...just wondering if most of the issues have surfaced and been addressed...

The_Correcter

TDI
Jetta 2012 TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Fly wheel explosion

Well day before yesterday my wonderful Jetta took a tow truck ride to the dealership from work. On my way to work I head what sounded like un lubed pistons rubbing in the cylinder. This was very prominent at low idle. I could smell a hot metal smell, so I called the VW road side assistance people hand had it tugged. The delaership told me that i was hooped as I was 20000km over my extended warrenty. The issue was the flywheel spring broke free and tore through my tranny bell housing. $$$ is right. I am looking at a $7000 bill to fix it. The dealership has been supportive of me so far and trying to argue with the warrenty department. Now its the weekend and no one works so I am in the hurry up and wait boat until tuesday. If any one knows of similar issues please let me know I am looking forward to a good ending but am preparing for a fight.

hid3

Banned
TDI
Golf V 1.9 TDI-PD 105 HP
What might be the argues about the warranty? It it's over then it means it's really over. Get your car back, find an independent mechanic and have your car fixed for 1/4 of that price by using parts from salvage yards. Consider switching to SMF if this is not a DSG.