JETTA FLYWHEEL AND CLUTCH PROBLEM!!! HELP!!! Transmission

dmann33

TDI
2006 Jetta
IonicHelio said:
Update; I'm still waiting for the flywheel to come in; I'm told there are no more left in the states and they have to be ordered from germany. So my car is in the shop for another week.

I am enjoying the new passat right now though, I just got it today as a loaner; the keyless ignition is quite intresting!
Find out what parts your dealer is ordering. The old part is actually a kit and they are no longer available (list = $960). The newer part numbers are listed in post #773. My dealer ordered them for me 2 days before your post and said they would be here in 3 business days.

milleraw

TDI
2010 JSW Silver, Portos, Roof / 2010 JSW Candy White
Jetta Flywheel and clutch problem!!! HELL

THIS IS NOW 46 TDI-CLUB MEMBERS WHO HAVE EXPERIENCED DMF FAILURE ON THEIR A5 JETTA 5-SPD 1.9 TDIs. [/QUOTE]
Make that 47!
Just got back from a long road trip...PA to Maine and back. While arriving in Acadia I thought the engine was misfiring under heavy load up hill. Through the week in Maine this seemed to come and go. On the drive home the clutch would slip on every incline that required some minimal amount of torque. The slipping was more of a chatter. Hard to diagnos as a clutch slip at first. Even got out the VAGCOM half way home to check for errors. Found nothing. I feel luck that I got home. Drove through 25,000 miles during this trip. Not looking forward to talking to the Dealer.
This is my wife's car...hence the 25k before a problem. I beat the living Pi$$ out of the clutch on my 1996 TDI Passat wagon. It now has 257,000 miles on the original clutch.
A5 Jetta 2006
Made 01/06

H-Town TDI

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
ssamalin said:
I asked everyone here and I checked the NHSTA info, all on or before 3/06. Yours may be the first anyone knows of. It seems typical the way the clutch failed but from what I know I wouldn't think you had THE defect, I mean sometimes there's a small chance of a defect of some sort besides the one that VW should recall. However, one more after 3/06 and I'm willing to abandon my theory. If so, all a5 in for failures and an eventual recall is certain, after someone is hurt unfortunately it seems. I hope one of us will figure out how to get a lawyer on this before that.
VW#2 posted a failure in his clutch/dmf - his car has a build date of 04/06.

See http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=185151

TDI 4 RD

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI Pkg 1
milleraw said:
Make that 47!
Just got back from a long road trip...PA to Maine and back. While arriving in Acadia I thought the engine was misfiring under heavy load up hill. Through the week in Maine this seemed to come and go. On the drive home the clutch would slip on every incline that required some minimal amount of torque. The slipping was more of a chatter. Hard to diagnos as a clutch slip at first. Even got out the VAGCOM half way home to check for errors. Found nothing. I feel luck that I got home. Drove through 25,000 miles during this trip. Not looking forward to talking to the Dealer.
This is my wife's car...hence the 25k before a problem. I beat the living Pi$$ out of the clutch on my 1996 TDI Passat wagon. It now has 257,000 miles on the original clutch.
A5 Jetta 2006
Made 01/06
47 Members have now reported a DMF failure on their A5 Jetta 5-spd 1.9 TDis.

Owners (Canadian and American), please report these problems to NHTSA!

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
H-Town TDI said:
I read the complaints on the NHSTA website, but I can't see how you determine the build date from the complaints. Anyway, the descriptions of the clutch/flywheel failure (pedal sticks to floor - stalling prior to failure) match my experience exactly.

I'm not claiming to have any solid data, I heard from about 25 members here I emailed or pm, then there are those who posted their build dates here. I read the NHSTA and tried to check for dates or contact info. There are two known DMF failures after 3/6 and 50 -100 on or before. To me that is significant. VW may have pulled the bad clutchs, but kept using the old clutches that were good. At some point they used new, fixed clutches too. Some bad ones may have slipped by.

Last edited:

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
Perhaps there is a driving difference with new cluthes as you have. Anyone else feel it?

lini said:
This is a very good description of our car (JettaTDI - build date 03/06) for the entire 14 months from day of purchase to the day of the total clutch failure. Had to shift as you describe every time or else it would stall. We were told to get used to it as that was normal for the vehicle.

After this week's repair (from old SACHS to new LUK) we can now shift into first and let the clutch go (gently of course) but from a stand still, giving it no gas at all, foot completely off the accelerator, and it moves forward smoothly and does not even think about a stall... could never have done that before.

it's much better to drive now..... hope it lasts!

badgolfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
lini said:
After this week's repair (from old SACHS to new LUK) we can now shift into first and let the clutch go (gently of course) but from a stand still, giving it no gas at all, foot completely off the accelerator, and it moves forward smoothly and does not even think about a stall... could never have done that before.
Knock on wood, this is how mine has always been, with a build date of 1/06.

CSL06TDI

TDI
'06 Platinum Gray Pkg 2
just got the bad news from the dealer. I will need to replace the entire DSG plus what he called the torque converter (didnt think this was part of the DSGs). He quoted me at $6030. I called vw customer care and they are to get back to me.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
I was driving today. I think my clutch is getting worse. Really pissing me off.

10then34

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
CSL06TDI said:
just got the bad news from the dealer. I will need to replace the entire DSG plus what he called the torque converter * (didnt think this was part of the DSGs). He quoted me at $6030. I called vw customer care and they are to get back to me.
Are you out of warranty ?

* there is no torque converter in the DSG

53x19

Has anyone been able to correlate the engine idle lumpiness with this flywheel issue? Does anyone with the new flywheel notice it? I'm approaching year 2 of having it shake the car when I drive with no A/C. I have the original clutch on my car (21k / 2006)

Thanks

VA Jetta

TDI

I have about 46K miles on my 2006 Jetta (manual). Looking at these posts is making me...concerned, to say the least. While there has been no difference in the clutch (which sucks to begin with) I feel like I am driving a ticking time bomb that will detonate at the worst possible time. Although I can't really think of a good time to have the clutch go in any vehicle. I cannot believe that VWoA has done nothing to address the issue. I look at CSL06TDI post and see that $6,000 price tag. It really makes me want to give up the vehicle and go back to a gasser:eek: . I wonder if a class action lawsuit would get VWoA moving in the right direction?

10then34

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
VA Jetta said:
I look at CSL06TDI post and see that $6,000 price tag. It really makes me want to give up the vehicle and go back to a gasser:eek: .
I believe CSL06TDI had the DMF blow on a DSG equipped vehicle. Even more aggravating. On the manuals, they can blame it on user error. With the DSG, it's just a crappy part failing prematurely.

milleraw

TDI
Jetta #47 resolution

From Jetta #47:
Well I wrote a letter about my trip to maine that detailed the clutch/flywheel issue and made an appointment at the dealer. They spent the day today looking it over and called me to come in for a loaner. I am thrilled. They admitted that this was a known issue with the Jetta TDI. They are ordering the entire clutch/flywheel. I told them that I wanted all replaced parts.
Not sure if it helped but here is my letter.
Thank you to all that have treaded before me. Your experience was instrumental in this resolution.

Last edited:

mainjet

Veteran Member
milleraw said:
From Jetta #47:
Well I wrote a letter about my trip to maine that detailed the clutch/flywheel issue and made an appointment at the dealer. They spent the day today looking it over and called me to come in for a loaner. I am thrilled. They admitted that this was a known issue with the Jetta TDI. They are ordering the entire clutch/flywheel. I told them that I wanted all replaced parts.
Thank you to all that have treaded before me. Your experience was instrumental in this resolution.
Nice job! That's the way to do it.

TDI 4 RD

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI Pkg 1
That was one heck of a letter! I'm very interested in exactly what the service department said about this being a "known problem." Do you have any more color on that statement?

It seems like some departments know about the issue, and some don't - and even some VW regional reps don't seem to be clued in. This leads to a lot of disparity in how people are being treated.

H-Town TDI

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
milleraw said:
From Jetta #47:
Great letter - I was lucky in taking my car to a dealer with a service manager that drives a 2006 Jetta TDI with a manual tranny. He immediately acknowledged the problem, replaced all the parts, and warranted the whole thing.

If I had known about the problem before my car cratered, I would have taken it in for preemptive repairs as you have done. I have noticed a few people on this forum describing problems with their clutches that are similar to mine and others "pre-failure." IMHO - those people ought to go to the dealer for repairs before the DMF/Clutch fails. Once at the dealer the worst case is that they refuse to fix it - however, you will have created a paper trail of the issue which may give you more leverage for a warranty claim when it does break.

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta-sold
H-Town TDI said:
I have noticed a few people on this forum describing problems with their clutches that are similar to mine and others "pre-failure." IMHO - those people ought to go to the dealer for repairs before the DMF/Clutch fails. Once at the dealer the worst case is that they refuse to fix it - however, you will have created a paper trail of the issue which may give you more leverage for a warranty claim when it does break.
Unless the dealer doesn't experience the problem while they test drive car, intermittent with my car. How much for the clutch again? I'll go with stock set up over the VR6/G60 setup (at least this time).

milleraw

TDI
Known problem?

TDI 4 RD said:
That was one heck of a letter! I'm very interested in exactly what the service department said about this being a "known problem." Do you have any more color on that statement?
TDI 4 RD said:
No, unfortunetly it was second hand info. for the guy that I talked to. I will try to get more as the process continues.

Octang Frye

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 Jetta
I think we, as concerned VW owners, should write a letter to VWoA, citing failures experienced on this thread, and respectfully ask that they initiate a recall and/or at least make a statement.

We should let them know that we're considering a class action suit, and that each of us is going to spread the word about this costly and potentially lethal defective DMF.

We know a lot about our cars and we're keen to share our knowledge of this defect with local media outlets, via an email 'awareness' campaign, as well as picketing dealerships to educate potential customers as to VWoA's lack of positive action in this matter.

I'll write a draft for your review and post it here.

BTW, thanks Sam for collating the information you did. A lot of effort. Much appreciated.

Last edited:

TDIPirate

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Mk V, 5 spd
What exactly are all the pre-failure symptoms. I want to know what to keep an eye out for. My dealer in my area is pretty good, so I'm hoping if I experience these problems, they will fix it.

I have already noticed the clutch engagement point changing

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
I have to slip the clutch on any sort of incline and still get the "shudder."

milleraw

TDI
Pre-failure Symptoms

TDIPirate said:
......pre-failure symptoms.
Look at my letter. Situations that brought things to light for me:
1. On all 1-2 hours highway trips, which is what it may take to warm up, look for the shutter/chatter under high loads. High loads= passing, hill climbing, merging. At first it will feel like a mild engine hesitation...which I have never felt on a diesel. As it gets worst you will loose speed while it happens and shutter will get louder [passengers will start to hear].
2. Next time you are in stop and go traffic for ~20 minutes, heating the clutch again, watch for smooth slipping of the clutch during first and second gear during moderate acceleration.
These are the two things that tipped me off.

richbking

I thought I would be lucky

Mine started to shudder today under a decent load, which it has never done before. I feel like I'm going to be the next victim. Unfortunately I'm in central Florida and I haven't read of anyone in the area with this issue. I'm afraid the dealer won't say its a knwon issue. I've got 24,000 miles on the car. If it acts up again tomorrow I'm taking it in. I may try a letter plus the attachment of the 50 some odd pages of this thread.

mainjet

Veteran Member
richbking said:
Mine started to shudder today under a decent load, which it has never done before. I feel like I'm going to be the next victim. Unfortunately I'm in central Florida and I haven't read of anyone in the area with this issue. I'm afraid the dealer won't say its a knwon issue. I've got 24,000 miles on the car. If it acts up again tomorrow I'm taking it in. I may try a letter plus the attachment of the 50 some odd pages of this thread.
Your due for a Fuel filter change also which may be your problem there. I had the same thing on my car and it was the fuel filter.

I'm not saying you shouldn't have it checked out but I am just pointing out it may be the filter.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
The signs of the the DMF defect

TDIPirate said:
What exactly are all the pre-failure symptoms. I want to know what to keep an eye out for. My dealer in my area is pretty good, so I'm hoping if I experience these problems, they will fix it.

I have already noticed the clutch engagement point changing
Engagement point changes

Slipping (rapid revs with no accelleration)

Shuddering, clunking, stalling, even using proper shifting techniques such as giving gas before shifting, letting the clutch out gently until the engine grabs, giving more gas when it grabs, giving gas when downshifting into first or second.

Smoke or smells

A lot of us have had sudden failure with no signs ("the clutch went down and stayed down")

richbking

mainjet said:
Your due for a Fuel filter change also which may be your problem there. I had the same thing on my car and it was the fuel filter.

I'm not saying you shouldn't have it checked out but I am just pointing out it may be the filter.
Yeah, unfortunately I had the 20,000 mile service done and they changed the fuel filter. Also, the engine will continue to rev normally and they car will slow down instead of speed up at high rpms. It seems to do it when I'm trying to get on the interstate (obviously high load).

Thanks for the thought.

bombero

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
VA Jetta said:
I have about 46K miles on my 2006 Jetta (manual). Looking at these posts is making me...concerned, to say the least. While there has been no difference in the clutch (which sucks to begin with) I feel like I am driving a ticking time bomb that will detonate at the worst possible time. Although I can't really think of a good time to have the clutch go in any vehicle. I cannot believe that VWoA has done nothing to address the issue. I look at CSL06TDI post and see that $6,000 price tag. It really makes me want to give up the vehicle and go back to a gasser:eek: . I wonder if a class action lawsuit would get VWoA moving in the right direction?

I forwarded this thread to the NHTSA, but we know how these things take time. Nothing may come of it, no one may bother to read all the pages, but nothing ventured....