Jeep Wrangler JK BHW 2.0 TDI Swap

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
My only issue with non clocked tdi would be the oil level is now incorrect.

Have you game planned what you will be doing to mount the MAP sensor? I cannot find any pre made adapters that fit our small 35ish mm side to side bolt hole map sensors. Plenty of smaller and larger ones, larger likely mislabeled maf sensor adapters.

The passat uses it mounted on the rear upper charge pipe.

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jeep Cherokee TDI, 2008 Jeep JKU TDI
On mine I just scribed a new line on the dip stick at the correct oil level and made a MAP mount from a piece of aluminum welded to the intake.

Straypoet

Veteran Member
TDI
BHW 2.0, soon to be in my Wrangler.
My only issue with non clocked tdi would be the oil level is now incorrect.

Have you game planned what you will be doing to mount the MAP sensor? I cannot find any pre made adapters that fit our small 35ish mm side to side bolt hole map sensors. Plenty of smaller and larger ones, larger likely mislabeled maf sensor adapters.

The passat uses it mounted on the rear upper charge pipe.
I would think that I could also replace my dip stick with an ALH style stick, as I am using the ALH style composite pan, and sump.

As to the MAP sensor; I would likely do the same as EVGUY1, I will be making up hard-pipes for the intercooler, and would just make the mount at the same time.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you guys. I'm also using all 2.5 aluminum (fleabay fmic kit) and using 2" turbo charge pipe as well as 2" ASR delete race pipe adapter to get rid of the o ring quick connects.

I don't have experience or equipment to weld aluminum but I do have aluminum braising rods I purchased years ago and never used.

Straypoet

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't have experience or equipment to weld aluminum but I do have aluminum braising rods I purchased years ago and never used.
Those braising rods for aluminum actually work really well. I did end up buying an AC Tig this year for my project, but I have used the brazing rod before and it is very strong.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
How did you guys route your clean air inlet hose on your n75? Can if be left open to suck in free air under the hood or does it need to be routed to the turbo intake to suck in clean air?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
It goes into the filter box downstream of the filter, or get a small filter to put on it. Leaving it open can foul your valve eventually

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
I have plenty of echo and shindawia fuel tank vents at the shop. They allow air in (duck bill) and keep dirty air out. Thank you for the quick info.

Straypoet

Veteran Member
TDI
Spent the evening working on my intake manifold.

I am removing unnecessary things, and will use some sheet aluminum to re-form the curve at the top of the intake.

The problem with the BHW intake is that it faces the wrong direction, and so I am going to cut this manifold in half, and flip the top potion and re-weld.
I took several measurements, and it is symmetrical near the bottom (right at the top of those ribs on the outside) so I should be able to make this look good when done.
Spent several hours slowly cutting and grinding away. Should be done in another day or maybe 2.

Images of the BHW manifold modifications here:
https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...th-composite-camper-build.223037/post-2986520

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Why screw with the bhw intake? A brm intake costs @105 used. I cleaned my new arrival with torch/air from kowkerz (sp?) Yesterday. Tdi upgrades race pipe is 105 as well with free shipping.

It outflows all vw and many aftermarket 8v tdi manifolds. It also faces the correct direction for those of us with fire wall issues, in my case heater core inlet in the way issues.

Sadly I had already purchased the race pipe and block off plates for my bhw intake as well as tapped one of the plates for boost gauge. I hate wasted time and money.

Straypoet

Veteran Member
TDI
Why screw with the bhw intake? A brm intake costs @105 used. I cleaned my new arrival with torch/air from kowkerz (sp?) Yesterday. Tdi upgrades race pipe is 105 as well with free shipping.

It outflows all vw and many aftermarket 8v tdi manifolds. It also faces the correct direction for those of us with fire wall issues, in my case heater core inlet in the way issues.

Sadly I had already purchased the race pipe and block off plates for my bhw intake as well as tapped one of the plates for boost gauge. I hate wasted time and money.
Good points. My long term plan is still to get a stainless intake flange and make my own manifold. Yes, I know that the BRM intake flows really well, but a BRM intake is basically just a flipped BHW intake, or vice versa. They really do just look like mirror images of each other. Infact, the flow test that I read didn't compare the BHW intake at all (probably because it faces the wrong direction) so I am not sure that one can say that the BRM intake outflows the the BHW intake. (unless you know of a test between those two)

so I am making a functional intake that faces the correct way out of what I have on hand, and when decide to update/upgrade, I will make my own stainless tubular intake.

I also just want to play with my new TIG welder.

I do intend to keep the ASV. Originally I thought I would do away with it, but I decided to keep it.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
If I had a tig or a spool gun I'd likely play with mine as well.

As for the asv, how well do tdi motors run on waste motor oil? Much less pure synthetic (by Supreme Court standards) motor oil.

After getting mine deleted I found there are asv race pipe adapters, I'm not sure if they are for the bhw or not but I did find them for the BRM

Straypoet

Veteran Member
TDI
If I had a tig or a spool gun I'd likely play with mine as well.

As for the asv, how well do tdi motors run on waste motor oil? Much less pure synthetic (by Supreme Court standards) motor oil.

After getting mine deleted I found there are asv race pipe adapters, I'm not sure if they are for the bhw or not but I did find them for the BRM
At first I took your question literally, and started a reply about how I wouldn't try running a PD TDI on waste motor oil, but maybe a VE pump diesel engine.. and then I realize you are being rhetorical.
Yeah, you may have a point that even synthetic oil from the turbo may not cause a runaway, and so it is over cautious to keep the ASV.....
I don't know enough about synthetic combustion properties to comment.

I think I can make a way to interface the ASV to my intercooler piping. I am going to try before ordering a race pipe.

Last edited:

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Lol...unless you want coked rings and worn out cylinders I don't think running a tdi on wmo is a good idea. All reviews I've seen were usually negative over time

Some engines are stated to run well on synthetic wmo, others say they won't or run horrible. I don't have any experience with tdi motor and attempting wmo so my question was just that, would a pd tdi motor even run synthetic? Granted running amsoil vs mobil one synthetic isn't apple's to apple's.

When I sent my ecu off to be programmed I found out afterwards that my asv was deleted. My custom harness no longer has provisions as I had also planned to reuse it. My 2001 diesel boat doesn't have an asv, at least in the 4 runner i can push in my clutch. In the boat I'd have to run wide open at 22 mph until the fuel runs out or I can get to the intake and close it off.

Last edited:

Straypoet

Veteran Member
TDI
When I sent my ecu off to be programmed I found out afterwards that my asv was deleted.
I believe you can just connect the ASV to ignition power if your ECM doesn't support it anymore. Key on, ASV open, Key off, ASV closed.

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jeep Cherokee TDI, 2008 Jeep JKU TDI
Are those engine mount in the Vid polly? May shake your teeth out. I had soft rubber and went fluid in the end due to vibration.

Straypoet

Veteran Member
TDI
Are those engine mount in the Vid polly? May shake your teeth out. I had soft rubber and went fluid in the end due to vibration.
yeah they are, I’m a bit worried about that. I keep telling myself that is is a Jeep who cares if it vibrates, but might be a bridge too far. Did you do the stock mounts on custom brackets?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
All these complaints about poly vibrations, my 4runner has no interior. I finally got the charge pipes and power steering attached. I ran it a few minutes to bleed the power steering while sitting on a bare steel floor littered with nuts and bolts. She didn't vibrate any more noticeable than my passat.

I'm sure the soft top and mud terrains will cause more noise. I'll need a good stereo

Joel451

TDI
2004 Passat 2.0
Great thread, although sometimes over my head, lots of useful info. I'm in the process of putting a bhw into a 2005 jeep LJ and have a couple of questions.

1. Should I replace the tandem pump ? Mine has 220,000 mi and was working fine when last ran. I have read that the original pump can last much longer and some of the remaned and new pumps aren't of the same quality. If I did replace it is there a recommend brand?

2. How important is it to get the crankshaft-transmission axis(offset about 1" passenger side) exactly parallel to the jeep long axis ?

Thanks.

Straypoet

Veteran Member
TDI
1. Should I replace the tandem pump ? Mine has 220,000 mi and was working fine when last ran. I have read that the original pump can last much longer and some of the remaned and new pumps aren't of the same quality. If I did replace it is there a recommend brand?

2. How important is it to get the crankshaft-transmission axis(offset about 1" passenger side) exactly parallel to the jeep long axis ?

Thanks.
In my opinion rebuild the tandem pump. You can get a complete rebuild kit for about $50 then you are good for another 200k miles.
I had considered doing away with the tandem pump completely and using an electric vacuum pump, and a higher pressure electric fuel pump, but in the end decided to KISS.

Keep the original driveline position. If the engine and transmission are in-line, but offset to one side or the other, keep that same position. otherwise you may have some strange driveline vibrations.

Just my 0.02

Joel451

TDI
2004 Passat 2.0
Thanks for the reply, rebuilding the tandem pump sounds like the way to go.

One more question, would you recommend welding or bolting the frame side engine mount to the frame ?

Straypoet

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the reply, rebuilding the tandem pump sounds like the way to go.

One more question, would you recommend welding or bolting the frame side engine mount to the frame ?
I would weld. Unless the already existing engine mount bolts are in a good enough place that you can re-use them. Don’t drill into the frame if you can possibly help it. Some frames are pre-stressed and will crack at the drill points if you do.

Joel451

TDI
2004 Passat 2.0
Looking good. I'm in about the same spot. Finally got engine and trans/tc in vehicle. Working on electric fan, electric power steering pump and new fuel pump. Was hoping to have it ready for a Jeep Jam in May, but that's not going to happen.

Straypoet

Veteran Member
TDI
Looking good. I'm in about the same spot. Finally got engine and trans/tc in vehicle. Working on electric fan, electric power steering pump and new fuel pump. Was hoping to have it ready for a Jeep Jam in May, but that's not going to happen.
Good feeling to have it actually in the vehicle! what PS pump are you using? I am planning to go with the volvo EPAS pump. Curious what you ended up with?