Jeep Liberty

tdihopeful

Veteran Member
TDI
03 2dr 5sp Golf
03 Jetta Wagon owner (my third car and third VW) and I purchased a 03 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition with all the "Bells and Whistles" it's a 3.7L V6 Automatic chrome alloy wheels etc. Pretty nice. Needed a 4x4 for Ranch/Offroad work. Part of why I chose this rig is there are two Diesel engines available for this model/frame type. A 2.5L and a 2.8L VM Motori Diesel. Sweet was what I thought. The VM Motori isn't quite on par with the ALH for fuel economy but it isn't far behind from what I understand. I have only owned Manual cars though the auto in my Library feels pretty nice once I learned how to disengage the overdrive I was controlling RPM pretty good and running as efficient as I think it could moving between 1,2, and D as needed. I'm still interested in having manual trans but seems the Motori was available in automatic only. Maybe a six speed Chrysler NSG370 would actually bolt up or be at least a simple conversion? Anyway I wanted to join a Jeep forum but the two I had joined already I don't like the way the webpage is structured. Anyone here know of a Jeep forum with a structure like our TDI Club?

Thanks

-Brian

msdg137

TDI
09 Q7 TDI
I do not know of a good CRD forum. I had a 2.8 crd and dialed it up with some free online tunes and a cheap ebay cable. I got a fair 22-26 mpg with good power. It would tow dolly a car nicely. The tq converter wouldn't handle the extra power so the hemi converter is the upgrade.
Timing belts are the Achilles heel of this motor.
Good luck finding one. I had to hop on a plane to get mine.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ is the place to go if you're looking for info on the Liberty CRD. As someone that sells parts for these vehicles, I can tell you that (a) the people who own and keep them seem to love them as much as MKIV TDI owners love their cars; and (b) they are not trouble-free. Set up properly and maintained they give good service, but things can also go horribly (and expensively) wrong.

sootwagen

Veteran Member
TDI
None
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/ is the place to go if you're looking for info on the Liberty CRD. As someone that sells parts for these vehicles, I can tell you that (a) the people who own and keep them seem to love them as much as MKIV TDI owners love their cars; and (b) they are not trouble-free. Set up properly and maintained they give good service, but things can also go horribly (and expensively) wrong.
Agreed. I have an '05 Liberty and at 119K miles it has been far from trouble-free. IDParts has been instrumental in keeping it running.
Since I bought it in 2016 with 70K miles I have had to replace the torque convertor (I went with Suncoast), two sets of glow plugs, two alternators, battery, front upper control arms, ignition switch, and now the upper rear control arm is on its way out.
Lostjeeps has not been much help as I have not been able to get registered after multiple attempts.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
...... it has been far from trouble-free.......... I have had to replace the torque convertor (I went with Suncoast), two sets of glow plugs, two alternators, battery, front upper control arms, ignition switch, and now the upper rear control arm is on its way out.
:unsure: I'd hate to hear what you consider a lemon if you think that's touble-free