Jeep Liberty, Diesel

Jimmy

Veteran Member
Chrysler is building a 2.5L TDi version of the Liberty for export. The engine specs are quite nice - take a peek at: http://www.4wdonline.com/Jeep/Liberty/Liberty.html

This is an Australian site (some locations may need to view screen upside down).

Power comparison:

3.7L V6
power: 157kW at 5200rpm, torque: 305Nm at 4000rpm
2.5L direct injection turbo-charged diesel, 4-valves/cyl
power: 105kW at 4000rpm, torque: 343Nm at 1800rpm

That converts to about 140hp and 252 FtLbs -not too shabby. Any one know if they got this technology from Benz?

chopchop

Top Post Dawg
It's the VM 2.5 DI Turbodiesel as far as I'm aware. Cherokee and Voyager diesels sold in Europe have used the older IDI version of this engine, which had really become a bit long in the tooth.

VM is owned by Detroit Diesel which is itself owned by MB-Chrysler.

It's a strange design, "unloved by mechanics", with a separate cylinder head for each pot, and the Vacuum Pump's located down in the bowels of the engine.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
I do know if they will sell it here. However, I would think this engine would be great for the rock-crawlers out there. If it were available one would likely have to fight with them to get one. I guess one could go into a few dealers and ask - I bet they would say it does not even exist!

Just found this on www.wardsauto.com, quote:

"The expectation is 95% of Liberty buyers will opt for the 3.7L, as opposed to the 2.4L I-4 DOHC made in Saltillo, Mexico, or the diesel engine made in Italy."

Its an article describing the Toledo plant.
http://www.wardsauto.com/default.asp?action=ar&aid=12201980174106

[ June 25, 2001: Message edited by: Jimmy ]

Eolair

Veteran Member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jimmy:

"The expectation is 95% of Liberty buyers will opt for the 3.7L, as opposed to the 2.4L I-4 DOHC made in Saltillo, Mexico, or the diesel engine made in Italy."

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I´m pretty sure that here in Europe 95% of the sales for the new Cherokee will be the diesel and the 4 cylinder. I think some countries (Austria, France, Belgium) will even get 95% diesel sales.

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
doesn't mercedes own crysler who owns jeep?
So why not for crystler's sake put a mercedes diesel in it. no wonder dodge is in trouble.

Eolair

Veteran Member
Chrysler has worked with VM for a long time now. I´m pretty sure the Liberty was designed to be equipped with a VM diesel. So it´s easier fitting the VM diesel under the hood.

Mercedes said they´ll bring a CDI Pt Cruiser (with a Mercedes Diesel) shortly after the European launch. They ran into problems fitting that engine under the hood, and so there won´t be no CDI PT Cruiser before spring/summer 2002.