JD Powers Survey to all of us with new passat TDI

days-like-this

Veteran Member
TDI
future A3 TDI-er
I just got my JD Powers survey in the mail where they ask you to rate/explain any problems you are having with your new vehicle. I made sure and listing the engine stumble even though I'm not quite sure if I'm having it.

Are others filling out the same info?

AJonathan

TDI
2015 Passat SEL TDI sedan. Previously: 2012 Jetta TDI sedan, 2004 Passat GLS TDI Wagon, 2001 Jetta TDI
Yes, I reported the stumble (which I definitely have), along with the wind noise on the drivers side window and the misalighted steering wheel. None of which would stop me from buying another VW...

Jetta2002TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat wagon, 2004, Blue Silver
How long did you guys own your Passats before you got the survey? I noticed the drivers side wind noise on mine, too but only when the sunroof is flipped up in the back. Dave

AJonathan

TDI
2015 Passat SEL TDI sedan. Previously: 2012 Jetta TDI sedan, 2004 Passat GLS TDI Wagon, 2001 Jetta TDI
We got our car on the 1st, and we got the survey on the 22nd.

days-like-this

Veteran Member
TDI
future A3 TDI-er
I got my car on April 30 and my survey came on May 24.

I haven't noticed any wind noise on the driver's side however, nor am I really sure that I've experienced this stumble...

I had a gap in the passenger side trim that covers the frame air bag (pillar that runs from corner to top).

Epictitus

TDI
2004 Passat GLS TDI variant
To encourage more diesel sales, shouldn't we go out of our way to make the JD Power survey on the TDI look as good as possible? Let's make sure VW knows about every little problem, but JD Power doesn't report back to VW, it is completely independent.

craigv

Well I see your point. On the other hand that is something VW would say as well, and the cynic in me says that the only real way to put pressure on a company to "do it right the first time" is through the kind of pressure that an independent survey like JD Power provides.

Regardless, being honest is the best policy, blind faith gets you nowhere. Respond the way you truely feel! IMHO

DonC

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat TDI 2013 Passat TDI SE
I've owned my 2004 Passat TDI for a month now and put on only 1900 miles both city and highway driving. Fuel mileage is terrific considering I've driven "gassers" for the past two decades or so. The quality, driveability, appearance and comfort of this car is second to nothing I've driven before including the Mercedes diesels of the past. Although I expect that nothing mechanical EVER is the "perfect machine" I believe that anyone who has purchased this automobile would agree that its value will exceed the cost of ownership for many many years to come. When and if I get the survey, my position is that it is a premier vehicle.

Wake

TDI
Jetta 2002 black, Passat 2004 silver
We got a survey, but it didn't say which of our VW's it applied to. I assumed it was for the '02 Jetta TDI because some of the questions were about service problems that were unlikely to have happened in such a short time.

outthere

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5 Northern Green wagon
It's 'Initial Quality'. My answer is 'She's tip top'.

Further, its not a survey that takes into account the horrible quality of US fuel that is the cause of occasional 'stumbling'. I've switched to BioD and have had no issues since. I don't expect a 'patch' anytime soon, nor do I want one given that the fuel it runs on will change in 2006. It happens rarely, and only on deceleration If you're reporting issues you arent sure you have, and everyone has a cow about this, the end result will be an end to importation of a car that is very successful elsewhere in the world, and possibly a reputation of 'that model year had lotsa problems' with subsequent plummeting resale. The car's been on the road less than 60 days, first hunt down good quality fuel, drive 2 tanks with cetane boost, and take a deep breath.

I think the only people you're hurting by telling JDPower your Passat TDI stinks are those who already own one in the US....B5 has been around and well reviewed since '98, B6 on the horizon, no problems in the 1.9, i don't see VW responding to bad initial quality surveys with an update to the ECM. Just an opinion.

kytdi

TDI
97 Passat 5Spd White
Has anyone tried to resolve the stumble by trying Power Service (gray bottle) to increase cetane level? ... I'm not a B5 TDI owner ... yet ... but am just curious about this.

Thanks